Cyclists and pedestrians mourn those killed in car crashes

Photo gallery

1/6
Memorial ride: Cyclists ride down Union Avenue for the final stop in the seventh Annual Memorial Ride and Walk.
2/6
Mourning: A participant reflects during the memorial ride.
3/6
Loud and clear: Sully Ross of the New York City Street Memorial Project rallies the crowd.
4/6
In memory: Ryan Kuonen puts flowers on a pedestrian memorial.
5/6
Paying respect: A bagpiper plays a song in memory of those who have died in the past year on city streets.
6/6
Not forgotten: Participants place a ghost bike, painted white, in memory of those who have died on city streets in the past year.

It was a day of love and rage.

More than 150 cyclists and pedestrians mourned fellow riders and walkers, laying wreaths and flowers for those who have lost their lives in car crashes at the Seventh Annual Memorial Walk and Ride on Sunday.

The foot procession started on McGuinness Boulevard in Greentpoint where participants paid tribute to victims of automotive collisions including Neil Chamberlain, Liz Byrne, and four others who were fatally struck on the deadly roadway.

“New York City is afflicted with a plague of dangerous driving and McGuinness Boulevard is one of the most hazardous streets of them all,” said Transportation Alternatives director Paul Steely White.

The memorial bike ride visited seven memorials, including one for Mathieu Lefevre, a Bushwick cyclist who died in a hit-and-run with a truck on Morgan Avenue last October. Police controversially closed the case and found the cyclist partly to blame for the collision — even though the driver who ran him over and left the scene was not signalling when he veered into the cyclist.

The walk and the bike ride converged at an anonymous memorial at Union Avenue and S. 5th Street, right in front of Williamsburg’s 90th Precinct headquarters at Union Avenue — where Lefevre’s family claim they received the run-around from police after the 30-year-old artist’s death.

The event was somber, but transportation advocates described it as a call to action.

“The loss of just one life to dangerous drivers is one death too many,” said White. “It’s high time we saw the New York City Police Department finally crack down on dangerous driving.”

Reach reporter Aaron Short at ashort@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2547.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Brooklynite from Brooklyn says:
I wonder what Tal Barzilai will have to say about all of this.
March 20, 2012, 8:09 am
Tim from Cobble Hill says:
Why are some of the bike mourners riding at this memorial without a helmet? Not wearing a helmet is a good way to end up with a white bike of your own on a street corner.
March 20, 2012, 1:20 pm
Echo from NYC says:
I couldn't help but notice that some of these riders are not wearing protective gear as they mourn. They just may end up with their own "gravestone" (a bike painted white at the scene of the death) if they keep this up.
March 20, 2012, 1:43 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Tim and Echo, you guys are right. The fact that these bike zealots never wear a helmet is the reason why many of the either die or get severely hurt. Although I will still give my condolences to those that died from such accident, it's hard to really mourn someone who put themselves into harm's way. Nevertheless, I would love to see rallies on those who got hit or killed by cyclists, but I doubt that the same people in those photos will be for that, because they are probably the ones doing it. As of for the ghost bicycles, many do see them as an eyesore, and should be removed.
March 20, 2012, 5:47 pm
Jim from Ditmas says:
Yes, Tal, you've proven once again that you're an ignorant a-hole. Good job.
March 20, 2012, 6:21 pm
emmet from brooklyn says:
A car in the wrong hands is a dangerous weapon. I must also add that I find it sickening to the pit of my gut, an article on a ceremony dealing with death being picked apart by people who look at a photo and sling mud because somebody isn't wearing a helmet. Sick sick sick,. yeah and the civilians killed recently in Afghanistan should have been wearing body armor i suppose. Exercise your common sense, please and not just your tv remote finger.
March 20, 2012, 6:40 pm
emmet from brooklyn says:
March 20, 2012, 6:40 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Jim, you just went over the limit of insulting words you can use at me, which happens to be zero.
March 20, 2012, 8:53 pm
Mike says:
To somewhat excuse Tal's unbelievably rude response, it's hard to teach an autistic person empathy.
March 21, 2012, 10:25 am
S from PPW says:
Good to know that if a giant truck runs over me at full speed, I can count on a helmet to save my life...at least according to the official Tal Barzilai parody account.
March 21, 2012, 2:03 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

Jim was kind

GO AWAY.
March 21, 2012, 2:30 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
How nice that the bike zealots do the usual ganging up on me and go many against one. I don't go around making insults at you, so cut that out, and you all went over the limit of the number of those that can be used at me, which is zero. Nevertheless, there shouldn't just be mandatory helmet laws, but all cyclists that are adults should be required to have their bicycles licensed, registered, and insured as well. Also, they should have to follow the rules or they will be ticketed for it. Most of the accidents that result in deaths for them were because they didn't follow the rules. When you put yourself into harm's way, you only have yourself to blame, not anyone else.
March 21, 2012, 5:06 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- I'm starting to find your very existence insulting.

March 21, 2012, 5:30 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First off, cut the swearing and personal attacks. More importantly, there have been numerous occasions where a cyclist got hit or killed mainly for flouting the traffic laws. That person who died on Grand Army Plaza awhile back ran either a red light or stop sign as an example of such yet chief enabling websites such as Streetsblog tried to bury that. I would love to hear a good reason why adult cyclists shouldn't be required to wear helmets. Seriously, what's worse having a cracked skull or messy hair? If a helmet messes up your hair, then carry a comb with, and they can fit right in you pocket without a problem. Also, I would love to hear the same reason cyclists shouldn't have to follow the traffic laws let alone agree to having their bikes licensed, registered, and insured. Again, I want to hear reasons and not excuses, plus no personal attacks either.
March 21, 2012, 8:10 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- Again -- "Most of the accidents that result in deaths for them were because they didn't follow the rules." Where the F&@K did your stupid, ignorant brain come up with this statistic?!

You said something very specific -- MOST -- and then you support this claim by pointing out a single specific example. Show me where Streetsblog "tried to bury that." Show it to me. And then show me actual data to support that MOST accidents were caused by cyclists not following the rules. Show me.

Until then, I stand by my assertion that you are a stupid ignoramus.
March 21, 2012, 9:39 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

Go yell at people for parking in flouting the law in the mall parking lot in Pleasantville, NY.

Till then GO AWAY.
March 21, 2012, 10:01 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, most of the data I claim came from articles mentioned in NYC main newspapers that include the Times, Post, and Daily News. Despite all of their differences, they all agree that cyclists should start following the laws. Now that I answered your question, it's time for you to answer mine. Give a good reason and NOT some excuse why cyclists shouldn't be subject to rules and regulations. I am so tired of you guys always acting like victims to the rule. On a side note, where I come from, only the weak and cowardly use name calling and other personal attacks. In other words, you are probably more afraid of me, than I am of you.
March 23, 2012, 3:39 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- You didn't even come close to responding to my question. Wow. The fact that you *think* you did just reinforces how stupid you are. You should actually be more afraid of yourself than anyone... just wow.
March 23, 2012, 4:59 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, I don't need to be afraid of myself, but the fact that you say this tells me that I am right. Which I know, but you can't be undebunked b/c there is streetsbloggerblood running through your veins. I am through with my threats to apply legal sanctions against those that cyberattack me and imposturize me. Don't be surprised if you and the rest of the zealouts here get subpoenaed tomorrow.
March 23, 2012, 10:54 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Can I be subpoenaed too? Please! Please?
March 24, 2012, 3:16 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
You would have recieved your subpoenas except that summonses cannot be distributed on the Sabbath by my father's lawyer. I am willing to give you all one last change but only if you stop the cyberimposturizations Mr. IdontusethesamenameeventhoughIamthesameperson. And I have my strong suspicions it is you, Other Michael, in cahoots with ty. Second thing, stop tellling me to go away. Third thing: I am what you call a nerdy leftist, and we on the left use carefully crafted arguments to debunk falsities. So if you want to attack my argument, do so and not me personally, b/c I am sick to death of the constant Hamasing. Irreguaurdless, I have every right to share my opinions and I know that there are fans out there silently cheering me on. Not that you streetsbloggers could possibly understand somebody taking a contrarien perspective. Back on topic. While I offer my condolunces to the families of those killed, why isn't anybody morning the loss of the thousands of motorists who die every year to avoid hitting cyclists and pedestrians, and who die on overcrowded roads that are overcrowded b/c bike lanes have taken over? Don't bother replying if you are going to attack me and if so your summonses will be in the form of a bailiff at your door come monday morning. It will take more than an apology at this point, like if Hamas was to make peace with israel it would have to destroy itself b/c things have gone too far too long.
March 24, 2012, 4:07 pm