'Lost in Coney Island' — remake of 'The Warriors' — plays at Coney Island

A second Warriors movie has made the arduous journey to Coney Island.

A motley crew of Coney Island filmmakers, in an unholy union with a federation of outlaw biker gangs, have created a short film called “Lost in Coney Island” that’s partly parody and partly social commentary — but wholly in the spirit of the 1979 cult classic “The Warriors.”

“We try to [re]make ‘The Warriors,’ but everything goes wrong, it goes chaotic, haywire,” said actor and director Eric Rivas. “The real outlaw biker world gets wind of it and wants to stomp out the production.”

And when Rivas says “the real outlaw biker world,” it ain’t no front.

Members of the Forbidden Ones, Metal Militia, God’s Only Demons, Filthy Mad Dogs, Dukes, and They’re F------ Crazy motorcycle clubs contributed their time — and Harleys — to lend the film an additional air of authenticity beyond its Coney Island locale.

“What we set out to make was a satire of the way I’ve been making films, an attempt to make ‘The Warriors’ as if it were a dream project of mine,” said Rivas.

The film follows Rivas and crew as they create a modern remake of the ’79 hometown classic, which tells the tale of scrappy Coney Island gang members struggling to return to their beach-side turf as the city’s criminal underworld turns against them.

But the narratives quickly intertwine when, Rivas, playing himself and sporting iconic Warrior colors, makes an eerie premonition early in the movie.

“Sometimes, it’s like life imitates art,” he says to another crew member. “It’s almost like, before you know it, the movie is real. I’ve seen it happen before, bro, it’s weird.”

He isn’t wrong.

As it turns out, Rivas’s production assistant in the film has a jealous ex-boyfriend who’s part of the dandy Coney Island clique the Benaton Boys — a gang that’s more interested in Twitter followers than street smarts.

In a fit of vengeance, the envious ex frames the Warrior film crew by spraying their tag on the facade of a local biker hangout in a scene reminiscent of the source film’s famous opening, when a rival gang member sets up the Warriors for the murder of the five boroughs criminal messiah.

It was at a casting call for actors to play the bikers where Rivas met Mark Ortiz, president and founder of the Metal Militia Motorcycle Club.

But it turned out organizing a gaggle of hog-riding desperados is easier said then done.

“It was tough at first, seeing as I’m friends with outlaw bikers who are used to killing each other back in the day,” said Ortiz. “I had spoken to one club, and you know, I’m not going to mention names, but they said they didn’t want to be seen on camera.”

“Now, they probably regret that,” he added. “This is part of history.”

In addition to the renegade bikers, several cast members from “The Warriors,” including Apache Ramos, who played the vice-president of the Orphans; Dorsey Wright, who played Cleon the Warchief; Thomas Waites, who played Fox, and Avid Harris, who played Cochise, have met with Rivas and cast members, giving the successor film their stamp of approval. They even pledged to make an appearance when the film premiers at the Coney Island Film Festival.

“I love that little film,” said Ramos. “Those guys are the best. I love what they’re doing.”

Ramos went on to applaud the Coney Island crew, whom he calls affectionately “those punk-ass Warriors,” for making the long-awaited remake.

“People have been talking about doing a Warriors remake for years, and these guys actually did it,” he said. “I like the intensity and the realness of it, it’s rough, raw, and real, but at the same time, it’s tongue-in-cheek. I liked it, and I’m going to be there opening date.”

“Lost in Coney Island” at the Coney Island Museum [1208 Surf Ave. between Stillwell Avenue and W. 12th Street in Coney Island, (718) 372–5159, www.coneyisland.com] Sept. 22, 4 pm. $7.

Reach reporter Colin MIxson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4514.

Updated 10:05 am, September 20, 2012: Story corrected to reflect the fact that it was not Mark Ortiz who conceived the idea to use real motorcyclists.
Pin It
Print this story

Philip MOKI from nj says:
It was a real blast making this movie. Eric the bikers the lizzies, everybody, was fun to be around and to work , love and respect, cant wait to win this festival.....LOST IN CONEY ISLAND
Sept. 19, 2012, 8:25 pm
Bird from Harlem says:
A childhood dream come true. To play a Warrior, to meet theWarriors, Apache, Skater, was an amazing ride. Thank you
Sept. 19, 2012, 8:50 pm
Mark Ortiz ..prez of MIND. from BRONX BABY. says:
You guyz were grate to work with making this
movie was so much fun.and Eric thank you man
And to my OUTLAW BOTHERS ONE LUV.
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:25 pm
Mark Ortiz ..prez of MIND. from BRONX BABY. says:
Metal militia mc....
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:26 pm
AcoFsPadesDiamonds from Brooklyn says:
Thank all of you fellas -u made it worth the work-
Sept. 20, 2012, 10:37 am
Ann Marie from BROOKLYN says:
Everybody involved in this film invested time energy and create genius seriously the cast went in on this one the original warriors and orphans gave us their blessing and that meant alot as well. =)
Sept. 20, 2012, 12:18 pm
Ann Marie from BROOKLYN says:
We all actually bonded during this process that's a beautiful thing you can't get that from a big film budget!!!!
Sept. 20, 2012, 12:20 pm
smiley from brooklyn says:
I was on set a few times during the filming of this great film and it was a blast, It felt like I was in hollywood and I was back stage watching the movie unfold real time rather than on film, but the out come was terrific and I recomend all newyorkers to watch this film, it will bring the worrior out of any common man, it will make you feel like a kid again, hearing those bottles tapping together , and seeing macho - underdog's come out on top is just totaly inspiring! Brooklyn always has room for the warriors, and coney island would not be coney island without the legend of the warriors...
Sept. 20, 2012, 4:48 pm
D. P. Kelly from New York City says:
I stumbled upon this by chance. I got to say I got no part of it but Im quite impressed with the stuff I have heard from fellow thespians involved.
If you dont remember me
remember
Warrrrrriorrrrsss

Good Luck Guys
Sept. 20, 2012, 9:21 pm
Gilberto Ruiz Jr from Elmhurst says:
International Puerto Rican Heritage Film Festival
is the Next Stop on the Tain for
LOST IN CONEY ISLAND!
Nov. 14, 2012, 11:28 pm
mickey taylor from 22 o reilly street says:
it would not be anything to the classic
Jan. 5, 2013, 12:21 pm
Michael Sanchez from Brooklyn NY says:
I was lucky enough to be in a couple of Eric's films and all I can say is that any actor or actress out there would love to be in one of his films ! He is a great director and a splendid actor . I can't wait to see what he does next !
Remember ( THE WORLD IS YOURS ) hint hint !!
Jan. 16, 2013, 8:42 pm
AG from bx says:
Horrible!
its sad to see how this classic is ruined
March 10, 2013, 8:17 pm
sonny calhoun from queens says:
i wish nothin but the best for the flim ill be there to see it im a big time warriors fan cant wait to see it can dig it suckers
March 30, 2013, 6:23 am
jose from nw york city says:
i am the real warrior jose my dad is real mau mau carols reyes me a warrior from 1980s cheif look on wibe site the real warrior from coney yes i like to be in the move please call jose 1 616 322 97 17 grand rapids mimichigan live chicago going to new york brooklyn soon 2013 real warrior call me love new york me puerto rican italian and black my da carlos rees he run with nick cruzz back in the day me 50 years old an dlook good put a real warrior in the move peace
Sept. 19, 2013, 3:54 pm
32erwgft from 366789 says:
I think maybe they could have done one of the Mexican gangs from the video game like the Hurricanes
Dec. 2, 2013, 10:14 pm
Doshie Ruiz/Poyer from Brooklyn/Montague N.J. says:
I am taking a moment to say how Proud I am for the Producer Eric R./Spade! I've known him since his dreams he's made reality were mere seeds In His brain..My love & blessings to u & ur growth. Love you 4-ever. Shout out to Joel too!!!! Anyone else I missed..couldn't have happened to better ppl.I know.
Jan. 2, 12:04 pm
Doshie Ruiz/Poyer from Brooklyn/Montague N.J. says:
Also....WHAT A FANTASTIC MOVIE TO RE-MAKE!!!! STILL IN LIVE W/WARRIORS MOVIE!!! THANK YOU E.&CAST!!!!!
Jan. 2, 12:06 pm
cheif jose from new york rel warrior says:
put me in the move 2014 call be real mau mau son eal warrior from new york ps stop the killing gang chill out bru
Feb. 17, 1:33 pm
jackie leone from redhook/carroll gardens says:
good stuff !