This Valentine’s Day album is sweet as sugar

This singer-songwriter is part country dame and part city slicker — and she’s all about the love.

On Valentine’s Day, Cobble Hill’s own Risa Binder is releasing her debut album, “Paper Heart,” a heartfelt country tribute to loss, love and the pursuit thereof.

“It’s a feel good album,” said Binder. “It’s an album about the adventures of being in love, the highs and the lows, and learning to love yourself through that process.”

Binder, who admits she never listened to country growing up, fell head-over-heels for the western swing after portraying a certain country music star in a college play.

“I had to play Loreta Lynn in a show. I started doing research on her and that’s when I realized, country’s amazing,” said Binder. “I grew up listening to pop all the time, but then country came along, and that was it.”

After graduating college, Binder settled in Cobble Hill, in 2005 and, amidst frequent trips to Los Angeles and Nashville, trained herself in the art of song writing. After only a few months, she’d created “an arsenal of songs,” that later became “Paper Heart.”

“The process of making the album was so incredible; hearing the songs come to life like I’d never heard them,” said Binder. “When you write a song you’re telling a story, but when you hear the song it really comes to life.”

In the end, there’s two things that really set Binder apart from any other songwriter — her unmitigated honesty, and her expertly baked cupcakes: She’s an amateur baker, as well.

“I guess I just am exactly who I am, on stage and off,” said Binder. “I also bring homemade cupcakes to all my shows.”

Risa Binder’s “Paper Heart,” out Feb. 14. For purchasing info, visit www.risabinder.com.

Reach reporter Colin MIxson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4514.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Sunday says:
Why don't these people go back into their huts. She looks as stupid as she may, very well be!
Feb. 12, 2012, 12:17 pm
Jamie says:
I have met Risa and she is as beautiful on the inside and she is on the outside! Great Job Risa! Love this song and look forward to getting the album! See you soon! J-
Feb. 13, 2012, 1:49 pm
Tiffany says:
Sunday, before you make an ignorant comment, why you find out a little more about her? Risa is an incredibly compassionate, intelligent and talented woman. She has worked very hard to make this album and if you want to be a hater, fine, but at least have knowledge of her.
Feb. 13, 2012, 1:52 pm
Nicole says:
Can't wait for the album!! Paper Heart and You Made it Rain are my absolute faves :)
Feb. 13, 2012, 1:55 pm
Kim says:
I agreen with Tiffany. Even though I have never met Risa, I do know a little bit about her and if you don't have anything nice to say about someone you don't know, then keep your comments to yourself. Looking forward to the album, Risa!! Keep up the hard work. Oh...and try some cheese curds already...:-)
Feb. 13, 2012, 2:07 pm
Gordon from West Chelsea says:
Sunday ... despicable comment, really. I've had a chance to have several conversations with Risa & she's just as wonderful in person as she is on the stage. RISA !!! congrats on the album, we're so excited for you & can't wait to see you perform in NYC again soon. Love from all of us here in West Chelsea
Feb. 13, 2012, 2:21 pm
Kate from Park Slope says:
I've been hearing about Risa through a friend and excited to check out her new album! I've heard she's an amazing talent!
Feb. 13, 2012, 2:31 pm
Niki says:
Go Risa! You are an incredible singer and songwriter! I can't wait to get my hands on your new album tomorrow!! And one of these days maybe we'll get to swap cupcakes with one another! =)
Feb. 13, 2012, 2:32 pm
jay from buffallo says:
This comment is just nasty and pointless and should be removed
Feb. 13, 2012, 3:01 pm
Brian from Colorado says:
Great job Risa, congrats!! Keep up the good work and keep progressing forward! You ROCK lil lady! Don't let others ignorance and self pity bring you down, they are just jealious that they aren't makin their dreams come true as you are doing! Keep up the passion for your dreams and keep smiling Risa! Howard High alumni are proud!
Feb. 13, 2012, 3:24 pm
Jessica from Brooklyn says:
I would LOVE to receive some of your homemade cupcakes backstage at one of your concerts!!!
Can't wait to hear your tour schedule!!!
Feb. 25, 2012, 8:43 am