Papa, don’t preach! Williamsburgers want weekend preacher to turn it down

A group of Brooklynites are banding together to try to quiet down a street preacher whose bombastic, amplified sermons have annoyed them for years.

Ray Bou has come to the corner of Broadway and Havemeyer Street under the elevated J and M train in Williamsburg every weekend for the more than a decade to preach the word of the Bible loud enough for people to hear him above the subway’s roar, and residents say they’ve had enough.

“He is trying to be louder than the train,” said Martin Misiak, who lives on Broadway. “I literally cannot be in my apartment on the weekends and think clearly.”

But the sidewalk speaker, who uses a guitar and amplifier to get his message out, claims his words are reverberating only because of his love for his fellow man.

“I come here because I want to help people,” said Bou, who says he is a reformed heroin and crack addict who lives in Queens. “I cannot walk the streets and see people suffering. I can’t stand to see people go to waste.”

But neighbors within a block of where Bou sets up his “Jesus is Lord” sign say he’s the one causing the suffering by blasting his gospel and guitar playing from early in the morning until the evening every Saturday and Sunday.

Misiak said he tried talking to Bou, but the preacher responded by quoting the Bible. Misaik once handed the preacher a note that said “Stop being so selfish. Your right isn’t the only right,” but that had no effect.

Misiak then tried calling the police to report the noise violation, but claims cops usually show up several hours later, ask him to turn it down, and leave. A few minutes after the cops pull away, Bou has the volume back up to 11.

A few weeks ago, Misiak started a petition, and quickly gathered 65 signatures from neighbors who say Bou needs to turn it town a notch or seven. He said he would have kept collecting, but claims he was threatened by Bou’s followers.

“I was told to hide my face or I’d regret it on blood day,” said Misiak.

The noise ordinance in New York City is complex. There are rules governing bars and car stereos, but there is not a law that addresses amplifiers set up on street corners.

Bou said he will not be shushed.

“The people who don’t want me here are godless, atheist hipsters living in immorality,” said Bou. “They come from good homes and they’ve never been poor, so they don’t know what it’s like to need god.”

Other neighbors say they aren’t only concerned by the volume of his sermons, but the tone.

“He preaches a lot of negative, hateful things,” said Elani Myers, who lives across the street from where Bou preaches. “It crosses the line and makes me not want to walk by that corner.”

Meyers claimed that last Easter, Bou and a group of followers put on a particularly graphic reenactment of the Passion of Jesus, with Bou, who usually has a large wooden cross nearby, playing the Nazarene.

“They were beating him and pushing him down. They did it over and over,” said Myers. “It was very uncomfortable.”

Misiak said he will continue to work to find a way to get Bou to quiet down.

Reach reporter Danielle Furfaro at dfurfaro@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2511. Follow her at twitter.com/DanielleFurfaro.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
You have the right to free speech, which is protected under federal, state and city law. However, you need a permit to use a sound reproduction device in public, which a guitar amp qualifies as.. I don't think that religious sermons are exempt from that. Its in the city admin code, which isnt thst complex, Danielle. Maybe for your reading level, i guess they can be hard. Congrats on actually reporting real new, by the way.

Dont blame the cops. You know who is to blame? The residents who waited however many years to fight this. They should have started complaining the day he started. Here's a quick fix... Go to your roof with buckets of water. Preacher=wet, amp=fried. He will get the point.

Good luck in fighting this battle. Inconsiderate people like this guy who think they're entitled to inconvenience everyone around them piss me off.

If you take your time and actually thorougy read them, you can figure it out. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/law05113.pdf
June 24, 2013, 5:08 am
o3 from bk says:
"uses a guitar and amplifier to get his message out"
_
perhaps an accidently spilled PBR over the amp
June 24, 2013, 8 am
Homey from Crooklyn says:
Throw him a beating he'll never forget.
June 24, 2013, 8:37 am
Dita says:
Johnny is right, up to a point. Martin and Elani SHOULD blame the cops--the preacher man either has an amplified sound permit or he doesn't. "Turn it down" isn't policing.

When I lived in the Southside, there was a church that had its Sunday service, complete with electric guitar and drum kit, out on the sidewalk. The 90th Precinct repeatedly looked the other way because it was a church. When I got Community Board 1 involved, the services became less frequent and the volume was lower when they did "perform," now with a permit.

Reminds me of Cheech and Chong. "I used to be all messed up on drugs, but since I found the Lord, I'm all messed up on the Lord."
June 24, 2013, 9:39 am
Johnny H from Is Right! says:
"Inconsiderate people like this guy who think they're entitled to inconvenience everyone around them piss me off. "

Just like Bruce Ratner and Marty Markowitz, right?
June 24, 2013, 12:01 pm
jay from nyc says:
Law is real clear and real simple and not complex at all, you need a permit and the police are not doing their job here. Residents in the area could maybe sue this guy on the basis of a nuisance.
June 24, 2013, 6:37 pm
Mat from Marine Park says:
If he is such a religious, ethical man, why does he not respect other peoples' rights to their own adult choices of ethics and morality. He is a born again, rude, pushy, moron. Freedom from religion, please!
June 24, 2013, 7:15 pm
j from brooklyn says:
the irony is that he is actually CAUSING people more suffering!
June 24, 2013, 11:38 pm
AJ from Bushwick says:
i know Ray Bou and he is an honest and sincere person, a dedicated public servant, family man, martial arts expert and most of all faithful Chrisitian. And for those assuming he does not have a permit, you are wrong. he has been there for many years with a permit, the support of the 90th precinct, north brooklyn clergy council and even the hasidic rabbi's respect his right to be there and he has established a good relationship with them too. and as for the 35 signature petition, that is hardly a plurality of the community. and even if the number were 35000 he has the right to be there even if you disagree with what he is preaching.
June 25, 2013, 11:12 am
none from bk says:
his personal qualities are irrelevant. the fact that he's a christian is irrelevant. the content of his speech is irrelevant. he has stupidly chosen a place to preach that is already loud. in order to be heard, he has to come with high powered amplifiers to be louder than the train. the noise level he is creating is a nuisance. maybe so many people wouldn't hate him if he didn't use an amp.

the fact that he thinks he knows what's good for us is typical christian arrogance - but it's irrelevant in this situation.
June 25, 2013, 11:36 am
frank from bk says:

June 25, 2013, 11:37 am
AJ from Bushwick says:
And he has relevantly obtained the proper approvals from the authorities to share his faith. Ray is a very approachable person. I am sure that he would be happy to sit down and have a civil discussion with you about why he does what he does every Saturday. And yes his personal qualities are relevant. Those qualities are what has allowed him to have the support of many community stakeholders in Williamsburg, even the support of those that have a different view on matters of faith. Have a great day.
June 25, 2013, 12:15 pm
Marie from South Williamsburg says:
sound pollution! he's nasty and contributes nothing positive to the neighborhood. i dread my weekends knowing he's right out my window screaming. the sound of a speeding subway is nothing compared to his obnoxious rants.get that volume down, or get him out there!
June 25, 2013, 12:22 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Maybe he needs to trade in his guitar for a ukelele and a kazoo. That'll do it.
June 25, 2013, 12:28 pm
AJ from Bushwick says:
Marie, I truly respect your position with regard to noise pollution. But to say that he contributes nothing positive to the neighborhood is an untrue claim. Feeding the homeless, visiting folks in prison, driving drug addicts to rehab and preaching a message of love and reconciliation with God is all positive in my view. Perhaps he has not done anything specific towards YOU, but that does not negate his contributions to the neighborhood. Thanks
June 25, 2013, 1:16 pm
ty from pps says:
AJ -- to be fair, mob bosses contribute to their communities in all sorts of ways, but they are also criminals. That's an extreme comparison, but just because this preacher man is a lovely person at *other* times doesn't negate the fact that his amplified rantings are a disturbance.

(disclaimer, I've never seen this guy.... but I think we've all experienced this soap box preaching -- however, usually without a microphone or electric guitar.)
June 25, 2013, 4:40 pm
South 2nd Neighbor from Williamsburg says:
To AJ and other supporters.
regardless of the message, I have listened to his preaching for 7 years. When he is not under the J/M/Z train, he camps out in front of Borlan's on S. 2nd on Saturday- when the store is closed. I myself am a christian, and respect the rights of free speech too. However - the volume level is consistently excessive. It shouldn't be about the volume of what he preaches, he should focus on the content - if it truly is about the message. TURN IT DOWN!
I will say that having heard his preaching and seen how he treats passersby, the message could use a lot of work. I have seen/heard him insult and berate many of us who call the southside of Williamsburg home. Perhaps he mistakes me for what he thinks is a hipster, but he should know better than to judge others. I am a working class resident, I come from a working class family and have known my share of struggles. But he would never know that - he has never asked. He assumes things on appearance and insults what he doesn't take the time to understand.
I don't ask that he stop preaching, just that he be courteous, considerate, and kind to Everyone.
Peace be with you.
June 25, 2013, 8:19 pm
Feebs from Williamsburg says:
To South 2nd Neighbor - I'm so glad you pointed this out. That he "assumes things on outer appearances". When you make general assumptions about a whole class of people there are a couple of very convenient words for this, you know?
1. racist
2. profiling

That's what ray is doing.

According to his own words, is on that corner because he has judged and is targeting those he believes are "atheist immoral hipsters" - based on looks. I guess since I'm white, I must be a rich hipster and I must deserve to be shouted at every weekend.

Keep talking your anti-semitic, anti-gay, anti-muslim rants, ray. God loves that, right?
June 25, 2013, 8:40 pm
thomas from north side says:
Ive gotten to know Ray over the years. I would encourage those who are displeased with his volume or message to chat with him one day on the street face to face. You might make a new friend. The quote aboput his supporters threatening those who disagree with him is laughable. And to the reaction of the reenactment of the crucfixion, this is part of history, the violent history of our world. It is a scene reenacted all over during Easter week. You have a right to dislike it just as he has a right to present it.
June 25, 2013, 9:31 pm
Gloria from Queens NY says:
WOW, Bro. Ray is still going strong. I have ministered with Bro. Ray, his heart is for God and the people.
Heavenly Father, I ask that the concerns of the neighbors will be resolve in peace and understanding. Your word has gone forth and it will not return void. The day will come that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that You are Lord. In Jesus name I pray, amen.
June 25, 2013, 10:24 pm
Jocelyn from Brooklyn says:
I lived across the street from this corner for 8 years and rain or shine he was out there every weekend. I had to call the police all the time because he was so loud. I used to ask the cops what would happen if Ray showed up in front of their house?
It didn't resonate, nothing worked. He was still there every weekend, preaching to the 2 or 3 homeless he got to listen to him. Good luck Martin.
June 25, 2013, 10:38 pm
Tommy from Williamsburg says:
Freedom of speech is always under attack by fascist mentality, which exist in all parts of the world, unfortunately.
Lawrence Ferlinghetti
June 25, 2013, 11:01 pm
John from Clinton hill says:
I don't get what all the fuss is about. People- we live in New York City and its loud everywhere, grow up or get ear plugs...
June 25, 2013, 11:14 pm
Edna from Williamsburg says:
The profound burning passion in the heart of this Brother is for the salvation of lost souls. No one shall take that away from him because it was given to him from above. 'AS A MAN THINK SO IS HE'. I know this brother and he is compassionate. thoughtful, a kind hearted human being. I am sure that he will take into consideration the neighbors complaints and concerns. Nobody will stop brother Ray from preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom of God. Blessings and prosperity to our community
June 25, 2013, 11:35 pm
Edna from Williamsburg says:
June 25, 2013, 11:35 pm
Allison from Bushwick says:
First Snowden, now Ray Bou, whose next Mickey Mouse ?
June 25, 2013, 11:39 pm
ty from pps says:
Hmm... so let's see what the most recent contributions are:

* Talk to him, you'll make a friend. (A loud friend that still won't stop breaking the law, but at least you've talked to him)
* Wanting an amplified shouting man and his electric guitar to stop is an "attack" on the freedom of speech by "fascists"
* This is New York, you should expect it to be an horrible place to live (loud, filth, crime, dangerous traffic, pollution... all part of the "beautiful uniqueness of NYC," right?)
* And something about Jesus.
June 26, 2013, 12:46 am
Bk4Life from Broadway (Southside) says:
I live on this block, and for everyone complaining about this guy who has been on the corner for 14 years, ask yourself why you moved under the JMZ line on what is the busiest street in the neighborhood?

I certainly didn't choose to live on this block for the peace and quiet. I was born and raised in this city and it is literally the loudest block I've ever lived on, by far.

The tone of his sermons are no different than hundreds of similar preachers who have been doing this for decades in hundreds of neighborhoods in our multilayered and colorful city. For native New Yorkers it is just white noise., part of the audible and visual mosaic that makes New York and specifically South Williamsburg so special to me.

Up until now, South Williamsburg has avoided the gentrification that has transformed most of this neighborhood. But now with the Hotels moving in, and the cafes opening up, it looks like the entitled transplants are making a stance. Might be time for me to move.

BK4life
June 26, 2013, 12:05 pm
Rachelle from Born n raised Willy B! says:
Congrats Brother Ray! You have made the paper. Its amazing how "these hipster's" think they own the South side. If you don't want to hear it close your windows or move! Or go back to the North side. If you don't like what he says it must be your conscious, yeah that piece of the brain that you are not using but instead decided to report this harmless preacher who is spreading the lords word. Back in the 80's n 90's there were preachers n church congregations in every other corner and everyone was fine with it. Yes at times it can be loud, but its his passion n dedication keeps him going. If you had an inch of his faith would u do it? Keep it up brother Ray. #dontbejohnthebaptist2013
June 26, 2013, 10:29 pm
PASTOR BAEZ from BK WILLIAMSBURGE says:
mr.bou is been there for decades and people has been save, and he has help many..i for one in the 80's was a homeles person and addict and throu his ministry i have been transfrom..i know that he has been following the rules in bringing the volume down,,.we know that God will back him up and those that know him as well, and if they do get him out , is because our lord permitted, not the people..and if any one comes aganist the man of God,. the bible says". wow to those that come aganist the man of God, curse will fall against them, so be careful talking or touching the man of God cause judgment will fall against your house!!!!
June 26, 2013, 10:46 pm
born in bk 51 years from BK WILLIAMSBURGE says:
i have been in williamsburge since little and i have seen preacher go and come and never there was a complaint, but these hipster's with there tatoo's and other stuff trying to make my area look like the village . they need to go back and go and pick on someone else!!!. i liked my old neighorbhood just the way it was.. so Mr. bou keep preaching the word , keep saving the soul God will back you up. this is a spiritual warfare that only with prayer and fasting we will have the victory...
June 26, 2013, 11:08 pm
lived here all my life from BK WILLIAMSBURGE says:
brother Ray has been in that corner for as long i can remmbre and their was never a petition or any thing come aganist his man of God, i have seen people hurt ,get prayer and leaving feeling good knowning that they have a chance to know the lord, and if he needs to lower the amp then those that play in bands at the park in south four should be lowering their speakers too or the jews when the have their celabration in the streets!. so keep on bro Ray, you got my back and prayer.....we like this place when it was just middle class and peaceful all this restruant and bars they need to go!!!! Brooklyn in no longer Brooklyn..
June 26, 2013, 11:23 pm
jay from Bushwick says:
Drown him out with music. Point some strong amps out your window and Just blast it at him till he gets the picture. If the cops come, do the same thing he does - temporarily turn it down till they leave. Any good song suggestions?

And hand out earplugs to passers by across the street.
June 27, 2013, 1:01 am
jay from Bushwick says:
It's a shame regular citizens can't get quality of life issues addressed properly. But businesses owners and developers usually can. Join forces.

get developers and realtors involved. Like it or not, they have clout. If he is so annoying that people have trouble renting or selling homes in the vicinity, he'll quickly be dealt with.

as well as business owners in the area. start posting warnings to customers on their yelp pages, etc. If he affects people's bottom line, he won't last long.
June 27, 2013, 1:14 am
angel from Bensonhurst says:
Conveniently trip over his equipment and get hurt enough to sue him into the ground. Plenty of ambulance chasers in that area that would be happy to go after him and the city for letting him set up on the sidewalk.
June 27, 2013, 1:32 am
Orlando Blancovitch from Elm Park says:
Jesus is the spark that could and have changed many lives. Brother Bou has a calling from God to preach the Message which has made the difference between life and death. How could people receive a life saving spiritual Word if he is unable to open his mouth the make people confront their sad reality?
June 27, 2013, 10:34 am
EDNA from WILLIAMSBURG says:
AS A MAN THINK SO IS HE.

"PAPA" RAY! An Awesome name! Continue preaching! you have more people backing you up than what others may or may not think! If anyone deserves to be called "PAPA!" Its you! You have fed the hungry! and given to drink to the thirsty! you provided an different occasions sheltered to the young men who had no place to stay on a freezing cold winter night. You visited the sick, the dying sister at the hospital many times, and gave her the Holy Communion, when no one else did! Gave donations too so many people to alleviate their need. Toys, books, hats and gloves to the children in neighborhood. And so much more this man has done. PRAISE THE LORD JESUS!
WE DO NOT NEED AMPS NOR MICROPHONES, WE HAVE THE VOICE OF TRUMPETS! JESUS IS LORD FOREVERMORE!
HE IS A GOOD "PAPA" INDEED! BLESSINGS!
June 27, 2013, 10:44 am
cornelia from west williamsburg says:
i find it interesting that the Hasidic rabbi's are ok with him preaching and his right to be there but not the "hipsters". the hasidic community obviously has learned to adapt in this community and has not tried to make the world conform to their standards like these newcomer "hipsters" have. the noise issue can be addressed but the underlying tone with the complainants is the hatred for the Christian message that he is preaching. it is being masked with a noise complaint. as was said earlier, if you live on top of the elevated tracks of the J/M lines and near the Williamsburg Bridge, noise control was not on the top of your list of check off items when you went to visit your realtor or your prospective roomate. late night bars and trains are ok, but Lord forbid you preach about Jesus. there are so many quality of life complaints to address other than picking on Ray Bou.
June 27, 2013, 12:12 pm
Pat from NJ says:
Brother Ray is a very dedicated man that has a right to be there. He is ministering to help people and to get his message across. He helps people in many ways and wants his fellow man to be helped by God and to recieve the word to better their lives, to be saved and to live in Gods word.
He has been there for years and is si dedicated he will continue to be as long as God permits.
June 27, 2013, 2:43 pm
ty from pps says:
Pat -- He should also get a permit from the City, not just "if God permits." This ain't heaven, this is a city.
June 27, 2013, 3:16 pm
Mike from Greenpoint says:
I heard one of the petitioners at the CB1 meeting and he did a great job explaining the problem. He was very clear that he didn't have a problem with what was being said, even saying that he has the right to say what he wants, but that his complaint was how loud it is. Lets be careful in the debate here that the problem is the sound level not the content.
June 27, 2013, 5:42 pm
cornelia from west williamsburg says:
ty, he does have a permit, from the city of ny. heaven forbid he not have one or else he would have been gone a long time ago. if God permits, he will keep at it and continue to be of encouragement to others.
June 27, 2013, 6:50 pm
Eric from Willy b says:
Hi Mike from greenpoint, you are correct we should be clear on the debate. This very article made it very clear with its opening sentence " Papa don't preach!". We all know that an opening statement sets the precedent of any argument. This is more than an issue of volume, it's clear that this mans voice wants to be silenced (oh yeah with an exclamation point at the end.)
June 27, 2013, 8:20 pm
Joe bou biological brother from queens village ,queens says:
greetings to all including those who oppose papa ray bou.God loves you all . God send his only one son, so that you can live a better life routed in him. He is the source of your true happiness. Papa ray is there to show mankind the way . The whole world is in desperate need of this gospel,including your community.God took papa ray from a community worse than yours and stablished him in yours for your sake.to all that oppose this gospel, please try to
hear what god is saying to you. am very surrre that he will lower the volume .God wants your,attention!!!!!! .yours truly joe bou papa ray bro.

June 27, 2013, 8:26 pm
Laura from Long Island says:
I've had the privilege of listening to Ray many times. Quite a corner, Broadway and Havemeyer, and quite a dedicated man who evidently cares for the people of Williamsburg and Brooklyn at large. I'm proud of him.
June 27, 2013, 9:13 pm
M.J. from Southside says:
He preaches every Saturday on the Sabbath when none of the Chasids can call the police. It is obviously an attack. Just listen to what he preaches about, the end of the world, hate, anti-gay and anti-semetic rants.
The good thing about hipsters is they are persistent little buggers and it is only a matter of time before the hate-mongeral named Ray is bothering another neighborhood with his gang of reformed crackheads and fairytails about a magical Jesus. The End.
June 27, 2013, 10:26 pm
C. Atterbury from NY says:
Dear All, Please note that the message being shared by Brother Ray causes healing for many that are lost in their sins. The Good News of Christ brings salvation. Many that have heard the message have been referred to neighborhood Churches and their lives have been changed. The community's atmosphere has improved as lives have been changed. Please allow him to continue to preach!
June 28, 2013, 8:37 am
C. Atterbury from NY says:
I have heard Brother Ray's messages of the love of Jesus Christ. There have been people who stop, listen and receive the Good News. Tears and smiles are evidence of salvation, and those of us who have had life changing experiences through Christ applaud his thorough Gospel commitment. Love covers a multitude of sins, and God forgives them all. All we have to do is ask for forgiveness. Let's pray more loving people care about our communities like Brother Ray.
June 28, 2013, 8:54 am
Martin from Williamsburg says:
I can't believe the difficulty his supporters are having in understanding this simple issue. They are confusing freedom of speech with freedom of volume. They are different things.

C. Atterbury - I would LOVE for him to continue to preach. Nobody is asking him to move. Let him preach. He can say whatever he wants about anything.

My point is - I don't want his noise to enter my living room two blocks away and disrupt my work. I'm entitled to the enjoyment of my own apartment. I'm a teacher and I actually have to leave my house in order to find a place to concentrate so I can prepare my chemistry lessons for the week. It's really unfair and selfish.
June 28, 2013, 11:35 am
Orlando Blancovitch from Staten Island says:
When you study the prejudice and discrimination, remember what the dictators of the 30's and 40's used as rational for trying to exterminate the Jews and the antisocials( in their sick understanding). Al of them said that they were defending the National well-being. Brother Ray Bou is not defending anything but life, liberty and the pursuit of happyness, precious rights that only Jesus could provide. He is not advocating social unrest. No. He is calling people to the Real giver of what Thomas Jeffereson called the Natural rights of Man: Life, Liberty and the Persuit of Happyness. That real provider is Jesus, the center of Brother Bou's Preaching.
June 28, 2013, 3:10 pm
Hannah from brooklyn says:
To Mr.Martin you do not live two blocks away. For the past three weeks, Mr. Bou has lowered his volume, if you noticed on the picture of the Brooklyn Paper you see on the table a small amp that Mr.Bou was using the day you called the Brooklyn Paper. Mr.Bou is most of the times preaching by himslef. Like the day when you were collecting names. He has no followers or supporters, the ones who spoke fear into you are the ones you thought were going to support you and your hellish plan. For the Devil is a liar, and the Father of all lies. Let us be real.
June 28, 2013, 4:17 pm
Eddie Fernandez from Forest Hills says:
God Bless All of You, i am a personal friend of "papa" Ray and i want all of you to know that as a Christian this man has come from a life of addiction to hard drugs and sadness. When Ray was at the end of the rope and came to a point of "Surrendering his heart" over to a POWER greater than himself, His life was miraculously changed. That Power he surrendered himself to was none other than Jesus Christ the Sin of God. There is a great power in surrender and nothing stays the same after that. He is so overjoyed and so happy to share what has happened to him and what is available to all of us if we are willing to enter into a relationship with God. Its not about religion but rather a personal relationship with God through Jesus. So much so that he dedicates his life to it, he doesnt get paid for what he does, just wants others to know that it can happen if we are willing to try. Being a Christian doesnt mean we feel we are not without fault, it means we know how faulty we are and that God interviened in the flesh over 2000 years ago for our sake, and we r transformed . We know we fall short, and maybe my Brother Ray just needs to lower the volume down. I will talk to him
about it. But in the meantime ask God right this second to come into your heart, ask with your heart for Jesus to enter into a relationship with you and i promise you that you will never be the same. Maybe your not a drug addict , but you know something in your life is missing, its Jesus , ask and see for yourself why we are so excited to let others know to the point that we forget we should turn down the volume
June 29, 2013, 12:39 pm
Eddie Fernandez from Forest Hills says:
By the way that was The Son of God, not the sin of God. Boy o boy do i need to check my spelling! Lol
June 29, 2013, 12:43 pm
Eddie Fernandez from Forest Hills says:
June 29, 2013, 12:44 pm
Eddie Fernandez from Forest Hills says:
June 29, 2013, 12:44 pm
Eddie Fernandez from Forest Hills says:
June 29, 2013, 12:44 pm
Eddie Fernandez from Forest Hills says:
June 29, 2013, 12:44 pm
AJ from Bushwick says:
This has turned into quite the conversation. Perhaps this could evolve into a reality tv show called " street preachers". Have a great weekend!
June 29, 2013, 8:59 pm
hannah from brooklyn says:
mr martin 24 hour's has pass and not a word from you in respond for the three week's mr bou has been compileing with your asking to lower the volume down.the fact remain ,that you and the brooklyn paper try to discredit his integrity and the preaching of the gospel with this Hellish article. let us not focus on mr bou but look at the reality of the minatry he's been intrusted with, how every one can walk freeliy in the southside not like in time's passed because of the prayer for the community,the massage of unite hope and faith in jesus christ being preach to all nationality, people being set free from drugs and alcohol and a life of violence people making a positive turn around in their life's, I could go on and on it's endless the thing's our GOD is doing with this minatry. the fact remain that you and the brooklyn paper are standing in one accord in this mattr. mr bou has been compileing with your asking, and will continual to do so because of the integrity of the minatry. to the reader's his name is not papa ray let us stay focus on this matter. romans 1;16 I am not ashamed of the gospel because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes; first for the jew, then for the gentile
June 30, 2013, 12:56 pm
Bobby Bodden from Whitestone says:
I'm a friend of Ray's myself... I realize (and prophesied in the bible as well) that things about God and Jesus are respected less and less in the society we live in so in some of the opinions I sense that.
I also detect that perhaps the primary issue for quite a few is plain and simply the volume. I am sure this can be worked out.
June 30, 2013, 3 pm
Eddie from Forest Hills says:
I went to visit Ray yesterday where he was faithfully serving the community again. He had a Very small 50 watt speaker and was singing His song of praise to God at a peaceful level. thank you Ray for putting aside your own agenda and giving up your very life for those who are in need of transformation. May God Bless You and continue to strengthen you and use you for His Glory through Christ Jesus
June 30, 2013, 3:37 pm
Lenny from West Bushwick says:
hannah, great points. in the 80's and 90's many faith based organizations and churches worked hard to clean up the community, working with the police/civic leaders, of drugs, prostitution, gang violence, graffiti, vandalism, lack of decent housing and failing schools. we worked with elected officials, civic leaders and with anybody who would listen to ensure that our community would not be ignored by City Hall and that places like Williamsburg be a safe place to raise a family. i just find it amazing that many people that have moved in the past 10 years think that they are the reason for safer streets, better schools and a better quality of life. it did not happen by chance and it definitely did not happen overnight. fyi, people like ray bou held vigils, fasted and prayed that the communities where they shared their faith could one day be safe for future residents. God answers prayer. there is much more work to be done. so when you move into a new community, whatever community it is, be grateful to those who paved the way for you to enjoy the quality of life that attracted you to that community. whether it is williamsburg, the lower east side, bushwick, chelsea or any community that was once seen as a dump by people. brother ray, keep doing the faithful and often thankless job of preaching the good news.
It seems like another publication has chosen to take on a very cynical view of Mr. Bou's ministry. Check it out and comment. http://www.thelmagazine.com/BrooklynAbridged/archives/2013/06/26/williamsburg-preacher-rails-against-godless-atheistic-hipsters
June 30, 2013, 9:56 pm
EDNA from WILLIAMSBURG says:
AS A MAN THINK SO IS HE: MARTIN,
Thank you for your response to the supporters, and for saying: I would LOVE for him to continue to preach! it really touched my heart. I am a Christian and very proud of serving Jesus Christ! I know the power of His presence! it cannot be denied! His LOVE is real and His presence unforgettable, that is why we preach the message of Salvation; JESUS and it's transforming power! God bless you Martin and have a nice day!

'I

July 1, 2013, 1:47 pm
EDNA from WILLIAMSBURG says:
AS A MAN THINK SO IS HE: MARTIN,

'I
July 1, 2013, 1:47 pm
ariel from brooklyn says:
mr martin misiak and elani myers how the spirit of antichrist is manafesting in your life's elani mayer said mr bou did a renactment of the passion of jesus with mr bou playing the nazarene which is not correct the spirit of lie's antichrist mr bou put on a renactment of the passion of jesus christ but with out any sound when they were beating him and pushing him down as elani mayers said over and over it was very uncomfortable l guess guilt and conscience at work God love's the sinner john 3;16 we can see clearly antichrist at work mr martin and elani dont want any thing of jesus christ poltray in any shape fashion or form or though preaching reading of the sriptures prayer worship or a simple massage accompany with a guitar we can see what is there can america be saved
July 1, 2013, 3:13 pm
Edgar from Bushwick says:
I suggest sit down with Ray, sip a cup of coffee with him. You need no more than five minutes to know the character this man & his message. You would quickly understand that what drives is message is his appreciation for GOD's personal intervention in his life, he'd freely share & explain how he overcame a life of addiction to drugs, alcohol and a host of other things. Have we become too cultured, and civilized to realize that we also need a rescue? we've taken our eyes off the prize - this message is preserving quality that can't be measured by how comfortable you or i may or may not feel for a brief hour on a saturday afternoon. if theres a culprit in all this, it isn't Ray, perhaps its that still small voice of conviction that we feel within after hearing the message; a conviction that we're less likely to admit.
July 1, 2013, 5:49 pm
SouthSideDeauce from Williamsburg says:
Ray Bou has been preaching for many years. We all have fallen from the goal of being righteousness and honest. There are unseen forces working upon every individual to either oppress,being self loathing,being selfish,angry,doubtful,fearful,etc. Ray relays to every individual a message of Truth from Jesus Christ. The Words of Christ is a comforter. It delivers many of our questions about us and our challenges/obstacles. Look around ..Williamsburg arts/murals/establishments/clothing/bars etc is of darkness / secrecy atmosphere..
July 1, 2013, 10:43 pm
SouthSideDeauce from Williamsburg says:
There are people here in Williamsburg as elsewhere in nyc and this world that engages/communicates with the other side...of darkness..many in secrecy....Again what Bou does is not in secrecy. Neither to undermine humanity..it is to acknowledge our self and to be more perfected in our thoughts and interaction, and be in guidance. Again look around you..the music,movies,animations,tattooes,etc..much promoting sorcery,lust, materialism,drugs/alcohol,etc...much habits..and hopelessness..
July 1, 2013, 11:17 pm
SouthSideDeauce from Williamsburg says:
Christians are much aware as myself of opposite sinister forces yes...spirits as demonic working upon the mind of the faithless and doubters who tries to analyse the mind of Jehovah(God). There are two polarities good and evil in our realm. Many has chosen evil in their workings and interactions...promoting it for self exaltation.
July 1, 2013, 11:31 pm
EDNA from WILLIAMSBURG says:
AS A MAN THINK SO IS HE:
THE VOICE OF LORD JESUS THE REDEEMER, IS LOUDER then any amplifier or microphone in this planet!!! And when HE speaks to our heart and our consciousness there is no place to run nor hide!!! You can certainly try to eliminate the messenger, and perhaps get away with it, but the message of salvation remains forever!
! JESUS IS LORD! BLESSINGS!
July 2, 2013, 2:21 pm
ariel from brooklyn says:
mr martin you said in the ny observer ,but it,s not just the noise that bothers passerby, mr misiak said IT,S the content of the sermons.people useing the subway,stop complain of being made to feel guilty, while trying to enjoy their weekend john 16;8-9 when he comes,he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment. in regard to sin because men do not believe in me. and in the brooklyn paper You said l would love for him to continue, to preach. let him preach he can say whatever he wants about any thing. mr martin a double minded man unstable in all he does.guilt turn to conviction,and conviction,turn to repentance. mr martin turn away from the spirit of antichrst and receive jesus and be saved romans 10;9-11. Edna it really touched my heart pro 4;23 above all else Guard your heart
July 3, 2013, 10:10 am
Luis from Williamsburgh says:
The Gospel message is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who believe. Let us not be surprise when you hear the Gospel being attack for the word of God is clear that Christians will be hated for preaching it. People in the neighborhood are experiencing new life. Many are being deliver from drugs and alcohol. Many are set free from the bondage of sin and death. This is the Good News that is being preached every weekend in Broadway and Havenmayer.
July 3, 2013, 3:53 pm
Angelo from Brooklyn born livng in NJ says:
Having myself participated in two of Papa Ray's past Passion plays I can tell you that the arriving and departing trains on the elevated train station are decibels louder than any of his amplifiers. Regardless, I made the trips in from New Jersey to not only support Papa Ray but to offer a message of hope, compassion, understanding and love to the those in need in the Williamsburg community. Moreover, comparing the violence depicted on our National daily TV shows makes Papa Ray's Passion play appears like a harmless cartoon. If Papa Ray is guilt of anything it is his year around, heart-felt, boundless love for his fellow neighbors. Isn't that what the world needs now, "Love, Sweet, Love." Stand up America for freedom, compassion and love this fourth of July. Support Brother Ray's outreach with your expression of love and not hate. Brother, buy Papa Ray a cup of coffee at the corner McDonalds. Seat, talk and work things out together in love and fellowship. Love never fails!
July 4, 2013, 12:46 pm
Angelo from Brooklyn born living in NJ says:
Spell check someone please! Kindly correct, "living" to "living" and "Seat" to "Sit." Thank you all.
July 4, 2013, 1:10 pm
ariel from brooklyn says:
wishing america a happy birthday ,and thanking God almighty for minatry like labores of love. a minatry that acknowledge God and country, and the proclamation of the gospel of jesus christ. minatry's like this is what our nation, has been founded on. blessed is the nation whose God is the lord Psalm 33;12 we thank the lord almighty for brother Ray Bou and men like him for their service, to our community and the blessing that will continue to flow. from their minatry as we continue to labor in love for the lord jesus christ. may the lord richly Bless us
July 5, 2013, 12:38 am
EDNA from WILLIAMSBURG says:
AS A MAN THINK SO IS HE:

And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding shall keep our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Jesus said: Pray for your enemies! and if the name of Mr. Martin Misiak, comes to my mind as I am praying before the LORD, the right thing for me to do is to lift him up in prayer. The LORD, knows all things and HE is the discerner of the heart. I prayed and hoped that Mr. Martin Misiak, may one day recognized Jesus Christ, as Lord and Savior of his soul and that HE is the eternal gift of salvation from GOD THE FATHER OF LIGHTS. Blessings to all!
July 5, 2013, 2:54 pm
ariel from brooklyn says:
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirit to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets havegone out into the world. this is how you can recognize the spirit of God; every spirit that acknowledges that jesus christ has come in the flesh is from God,but every spirit that does not acknowledge jesus is not from God. this is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
July 8, 2013, 1:45 am
ariel from brooklyn says:
and this Gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations ,and then the end will come. matthew 24;14 whatever happen, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy' of the gospel of christ. then whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one Man for the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you this is A sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved and that by God for it has been granted to you on behalf of christ not only to believe on him ,but also to suffer for him since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have. Philippians 1;27-30 and on this rock I will build my church and the gates of hades will not overcome it. matthew 16;18
July 17, 2013, 1:22 am
Michaltastik from Forest Hills says:
I stumbled upon this looking for something else and I was intrigued because it seems to be current and it's in an area that I sort of know. I got tired of reading the comments but responding to:

"and even the hasidic rabbi's respect his right to be there and he has established a good relationship with them too."

Why should the Hasidim care? They don't live in earshot of that that spot. They work there, yes, but if they were being bothered with that garbage on Shabbos, they would care. They DONT care because they LIVE down by Lee safely out of earshot.

I'm surprised that the area has gone Hipster. It used to be Hispanic as recently as 2007. That was fast.

I also want to weigh in as someone who recently finished college and has ADHD. If I had screwed up and moved there, I would have been really mad to move somewhere and be faced with the choices of go to the library or flunk. I can tune out the rattle and roar of a subway. I can't tune out stuff like that. I don't live there, but I agree.

As for the "used to be ok" thing... wouldn't he be upset if he moved into an area and realized he got himself into something like this? Should no one ever be allowed to move? Also, this whole hipster thing is white hate racism, I'm so sick of the racial double standard that so many blacks use to their benefit.

Finally, from the response above mine, "conduct yourselves in a manner worthy' of the gospel of christ." So, prevent people from being able to read a book in their own home on the weekend after they worked hard all week is a manner WORTHY?

Nice try, it's not. Do we need to ask some white pastors who aren't racist former druggies to prove it?

This is about racist non-whites getting angry at whites because they think our lives are so much better and they want to ruin it. White children get beaten by their parents. Parents with money don't always share it. Oh, hey some of the girls that got locked up in Ohio were white... Stop thinking you know other peoples' pain or lack thereof. It's extremely offensive and not accurate. It stinks of arrogance and puts you in the position of offending G-d, by presuming that you know something he doesn't and he says that vengeance is His, so you need to stop trying to take it on the race that you're angry at.
July 31, 2013, 11:48 pm
ariel from south williamburg says:
do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you. 1 john 3;13 this is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have herd is coming and even now is already in the world. you dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. they are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. we are from God and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. this is how we recognize the spiit of truth and the spirit of falsehood. 1john 4;3-6 many deceivers, who do not acknowledge jesus christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.2john;7 from the response above mine so prevent people from being able to read a book in their own home. just dont read a book read the bible if you dont have one they are free for the asking
Aug. 24, 2013, 1:07 am