Alleged Prospect Park serial dog attacker out of jail

The man arrested for allegedly stabbing and beating dogs in Prospect Park is free — for now.

Donnell Barden, 42, who police and park-goers say terrorized Brooklyn’s backyard, was released from custody on Aug. 12 after coming up with $2,500 bail, jail officials said. Dog owners who take their canine companions for walks in Prospect Park say they cannot believe the suspected serial dog attacker is out so soon after his Aug. 5 arrest.

“It was a shocker,” said Brown, who testified against Barden at a Downtown grand jury after Barden allegedly sicced his pit bull on her Doberman Pinscher in early August.

Barden faces a charge of aggravated animal cruelty, a felony, as well as counts of menacing, harassment, and criminal possession of a weapon, all misdemeanors. The charges stem from two incidents — the attack on Brown’s Doberman and a May 17 incident in which Barden allegedly stabbed a dog about 10 times and threatened to knife its owner — but park-goers say Barden’s violent spree started as early as February. Before Barden’s release, a judge ordered him to stay away from his supposed victims, both the dogs and their owners, according to the district attorney’s office.

The judge’s words gave little reassurance to Brown after all that she says Barden has done.

“He put his hands on our pets,” Brown said. “There was blood, there was trauma, and it affects everyone in the park.”

Barden’s next court date is Oct. 7, a Department of Corrections spokesman said, and prosecutors are urging other people who have had run-ins with the accused animal assaulter to come forward and testify, according to a letter from the district attorney’s office that Fellowship in the Interest of Dogs and their Owners, Prospect Park’s dog advocacy group, posted on its Facebook page.

“It is really important for [prosecutors] to build a complete, factual, and convincing history of violence on this guy,” fellowship president Garry Osgood said.

Barden’s arrest comes three years after he was released from prison following a 1992 guilty plea for shooting a gun at a police officer, according to the district attorney’s office.

His pit bull will continue to remain in the care of Animal Care and Control, a spokesman for the animal group said.

Reach reporter Natalie Musumeci at nmusumeci@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505. Follow her at twitter.com/souleddout.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Bkmanhatposeur from brokeland says:
There should be a bounty on this guy
Aug. 20, 2013, 9:26 am
Ted from The Park says:
There should be a law against this.
Aug. 20, 2013, 10:02 am
BunnynSunny from Clinton Hill says:
He better stay off my block, if you know what I mean.
Aug. 20, 2013, 10:09 am
Charles from Park Slope says:
I'd say he's in for some tough bananas, am I right?!
Aug. 20, 2013, 10:53 am
jay from nyc says:
I am not so upset that he is out on bail, people have the right to not be in jail while awaiting trial, BUT that bail was only $2,500 for at least one felony, (and maybe more hard to tell with usual cough cough "stellar" reporting of the Brooklyn paper) and he is someone who has already been convicted of violent crime. The bail should have been much higher than $2,500.
Aug. 20, 2013, 9:43 pm
Ab from Bedstuy says:
This guy is a menace and won't stop until he kills a person. Lo k him up.
Aug. 21, 2013, 10:12 am
Timmy from underneath your bed says:
I agree with jay that the bail should be much higher. But I also think he should not have gotten out of jail so early. Lets remember that he also threatened one of the owners with a knife. I think people need to understand that hurting or killing animals is ALMOST as bad as doing the same to as human.
Aug. 21, 2013, 10:16 am
Timmy from underneath your bed says:
Sorry. Meant to type "a human."
Aug. 21, 2013, 10:17 am
Javier from Flatbush says:
It's pitbull owners like this that give responsible pittie owners a bad name. I routinely bring my 2 rescues ( pittie and chihuahua)to Prospect Park off leash hrs and I've never had a problem.

If this dog had been sicced on one of mine...it would be lucky to make it back to animal control. He'd be lucky to be arrested.

$2500 bail??? A damn shame!
Aug. 21, 2013, 11:33 am
old time brooklyn from slope says:

Not
Aug. 21, 2013, 11:50 am
Teddy from TwoToes says:
This guy is as crazy as a meat pie!
Aug. 21, 2013, 3:20 pm
Dog Lover from Brooklyn says:
Old Time Brooklyn from Slope....
I care less about your life than I do my dogs. So, yes...it is actually JUST AS BAD.
Aug. 21, 2013, 3:45 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
can a dog get an abortion? lol - when my cats and dogs over the years became ill - poof - gone. when my first kid came cat started peeing - baby I cat zip. when I see all of this energy put toward the starving and abused over animals I will re-consider. I wish I had a smart phone now to record an animal rights group stepping over homeless in from of right aid on 14 street
Aug. 21, 2013, 4:58 pm
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
Hi, old time. John Wasserman. Perhaps you should consider changing your name to "elderly time". I hope you don't mind the suggestion.
Aug. 21, 2013, 6:58 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
john - maybe you should change yours to corn hole
Aug. 22, 2013, 11:15 am
BunnynSunny from Clinton Hill says:
Or maybe "crotchety old timer".
Aug. 22, 2013, 1:16 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
animals do not have rights. humans have rights. I have a dream not a bark.

humans have a moral obligation to not inflict undo pain and cruelty on lesser life forms. that obligation does not bestow a right.

of the bill of rights pleas explain and show where a dogs right to assembly, free speech are addressed.
Aug. 22, 2013, 2:53 pm