The group Right of Way braved arctic weather to push for slowing cars in the wake of the van killing of 12-year-old Samuel Cohen-Eckstein

Signed up! Protesters line Prospect Park West with 20-mile-per-hour speed limit signs

They’re ped up.

A crew of road safety activists sick of waiting for the city to lower speed limits took matters into their own hands on Saturday night, posting faux 20-mile-per-hour speed limit signs along Prospect Park West, the road that lost a lane of car traffic to a controversial bike lane in 2010 and where a 12-year-old boy was killed by a van in early October.

“The idea that my kids would be taking their life into their hands when they get on a bike or cross the street here is ridiculous,” said Ben Shepard, a Gowanus activist whose kids attend school near Prospect Park West.

Shepard and eight others with the revived 1990s-era group Right of Way strung 10 of the simulation signs on lampposts running the length of the thoroughfare despite icy winds that at times threatened to knock over their ladder and send their protest placards airborne. The recent death of Samuel Cohen Eckstein should serve as a wake-up call for politicians and transportation planners who are weighing whether to reduce speed limits in residential areas to 20-miles-per-hour, the activists said.

“My son is the same age as Sammy and goes to the same school, MS 41, and I know his dad,” said Red Hooker Alan Mukamal, a founding Right of Way member who came out of activist retirement for the protest. “I couldn’t not do anything.”

The walk-by-night demonstration occurred three and a half weeks after Cohen-Eckstein’s parents testified before the Council in support of the Safe Streets Act that would lower the speed limit on residential streets narrower than 60 feet to 20-miles-per-hour, which has languished in the Council for the last two years.

Cohen Eckstein ran into the street chasing a soccer ball and, though he had the light when he entered the road, it quickly changed and the driver, who entered the intersection without slowing, could not stop in time, his mother Amy Cohen said, arguing that a lower speed limit could have saved her son’s life.

“Our family has suffered an unspeakable loss,” she said. “We only hope that something positive comes from Sammy’s death and are pleased that there seems to be growing concern and pressure to make our streets safer.”

Police do not suspect speeding to have been a factor in the crash that took Cohen-Eckstein’s life, the New York Post reported, and the investigation is closed and no criminal charges have been filed, according to Cohen. At last month’s hearing, she and her husband pointed to federal data that shows pedestrians have a 19 out of 20 chance of survival if they are struck by a car traveling at 20 miles-per-hour compared to a 12 in 20 chance at 30.

But the safe streets crusaders with Right of Way say that the slow-down bill is beside the point as the city’s Department of Transportation has said itself that it can lower speed limits on its own on roads within a quarter-mile of a school. Two-thirds of New York’s streets fit that bill, according to WNYC, as do all but one-and-a-half blocks of Park Slope, according to neighborhood civic groups that in 2011 applied to make the neighborhood a so-called “Slow Zone,” complete with lowered speed limits, speed humps, and other traffic-calming measures. The transportation department rejected the application because the neighborhood logged relatively few auto-crash deaths and injuries, according to Eric McClure, co-founder of Park Slope Neighbors, one of the groups behind the failed bid.

“We applaud what Right of Way is doing,” McClure said. “The effort to make New York City’s streets safer sometimes calls for working through official channels and, at other times, guerrilla action is more than justified.”

Cohen Eckstein’s death was still fresh in the minds of some of the people out walking on Prospect Park West on Saturday night. One dad strolling with his two sons wanted to know what all the flashing cameras, bikes, and the telescoping ladder were about and was surprised to learned that it had to do with his boys’ late classmate.

“These guys knew him, so I guess we approve,” said Peter Reuther of the protest.

The fatal crash hit MS 51 hard, the family said.

“There was basically no school for two days,” his son Josef, 13, remembered. The boy had been invited to Cohen-Eckstein’s bar mitzvah, which would have been Nov. 16.

Another curious passerby said that the speed limits are just fine the way they are — enforcement and punishment are the real issue.

“They should give you a life sentence if you kill someone with your car,” said Menhart Friedman of Borough Park. “Lowering the speed limit will just make more traffic.”

Two other Brooklyn kids have been killed by cars in recent weeks, including a 9-year-old crushed by a sports-utility vehicle in Fort Greene and a 5-year-old run mowed down by a Cadillac Escalade in Sunset Park.

The Department of Transportation removed the signs on Monday morning, an agency spokesman said.

Updated 12:50 pm, November 27, 2013: Quote from Park Slope Neighbors co-founder Eric McClure added.
Reach Nathan Tempey at ntempey@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4504. Follow him at twitter.com/nathantempey.

Benjamin Shepard from Gowanus says:
I completely agree with the work of right of way.
Now I hope city council passes intro 535 restricting speed limits to 20 MPH in residential areas city wide.
Nov. 24, 2013, 8:19 am
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
Now they can give out fake tickets and we'll pay them with counterfeit money!

Self-important Street vigilantes.
Nov. 24, 2013, 8:44 am
Karen from Park Slope says:
Thank you for doing this. If the authorities won't enforce the right of way laws, then we need to demand it happens. Not one more death should be allowed to happen just because the existing laws go unmonitored and unenforced. I've seen too many accidents and near accidents that could be prevented by careful driving and better enforcement.
Nov. 24, 2013, 9:14 am
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
Karen buys the rope and organizes the lynch mob!
Nov. 24, 2013, 10:23 am
Messenger from Bloomberg's bed says:
The child die because he went after the ball on the street. Parenting FAIL. Lowering the speed limit wont help at all, it will slow to more traffic and cause more congestion then ever before. Idiots at Park Slope especially at Transportation Alternatives.
Nov. 24, 2013, 11:28 am
ty from pps says:
Messenger... You're WRONG. Lowering speed will absolutely help.

A pedestrian hit by a car going 40 m.p.h. has only a 30 percent chance to survive. Those struck by a car at 30 m.p.h. survive 80 percent of the time. At 20 m.p.h., the figure climbs to about 95 percent.
Nov. 24, 2013, 1:48 pm
ty from pps says:
You also know that stop distances decrease as speed decreases, right?
Nov. 24, 2013, 1:51 pm
Keegan from Williamsburg says:
As to creating more traffic: this exhaustive study by the Park Slope Civic Council shows that changing the speed limit from 30mph to 20mph would add only 1 minute to North-South trips through Park Slope and less than 30 seconds to East-West Trips through Park Slope. http://parkslopeciviccouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/REV-Park-Slope-NSZ-application_20120326.pdf
Nov. 24, 2013, 2:29 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Rufus Leaking from BH says: "Karen buys the rope and organizes the lynch mob!"

Demanding that authorities enforce right-of-way is equivalent to lynching?

A walking demo plus ad-hoc 20-mph signs is analagous to hanging drivers from trees?
Nov. 24, 2013, 3:19 pm
TinyTyMind from myworld says:
everybody should get out and push their cars and there would never be an accident.
Nov. 24, 2013, 3:57 pm
Martha Rowen from Brooklyn Heights says:
How interesting/depressing that so many of these comments express anger at activists working to save lives, worries about taking a minute longer to drive past a park but show no concern or compassion about the children needlessly killed by automobiles.
Nov. 24, 2013, 4:23 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Thank you Martha.

I drive on PPW all the time and I could not agree more.
Nov. 24, 2013, 4:34 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
It really doesn't make any sense to lower the speed limits when the current one isn't even enforced. This is just the DOT wasting more money on changing signs, but that's Bloomberg and JSK for you. BTW, I am not against safety by being against lowering speed limits, and I find it annoying to be labeled like that by the anti-car fanatics. I do give my condolences for those children that got killed, but they should have been looking or asked their parents to help them get what they lose on the street, which is something they don't seem to do. All I see lowering the speed limits is just punishing a whole group for the actions of a just a few, which I find wrong. I'm sure nobody would like it if I said something bad about cyclists or pedestrians just because of a few, so now you know how others feel. For the record, I do support enforcement of the laws on everyone who uses the roads, and that includes on cyclists and pedestrians as well rather than just singling out motorists only, who seem to be the cash cow here.
Nov. 24, 2013, 4:41 pm
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
Activists = Busybodies = kneejerk Reactionaries
Nov. 24, 2013, 4:44 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Hi Tal. John Wasserman here. What exactly is your major malfunction?
Nov. 24, 2013, 5:19 pm
ty from pps says:
I second John Wasserman's comment... and add, Christ on a cracker, Tal. Are you really really this limited in mental capacity?!

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could focus your brand of stupid toward your OWN town? You know, the town that is NOT Brooklyn. The one that is 40 miles away. The one you actually live in?
Nov. 24, 2013, 6:15 pm
Parent from Park Slope says:
I agree with this effort. The speed limit is too fast here and elsewhere in the neighborhood.

I disagree with the Brooklyn Paper. The bike lane is not controversial. Only a small number of cranks felt that way. For me and my families and many other families it is wonderful.
Nov. 24, 2013, 6:32 pm
Slopey Joe from park slope says:
Lowering the speed limits, speed bumps and better enforcement are the only way to slow down the homies who drive like maniacs around here. You know, the ones who accelerate into red lights and who honk as soon as the light turns green, even from 2-3 cars behind? These individuals need to learn how to chill and accept the fact that sometimes there are going to be other drivers in front of them.
Nov. 24, 2013, 7:12 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

What do you mean when you type ".... but they should have been looking or asked their parents to help them get what they lose on the street, which is something they don't seem to do"

?
Nov. 24, 2013, 7:30 pm
Rachel from Park Slope says:
Sammy was NOT chasing a soccer ball into the street. He was wearing cleats - he slipped and fell in the street - and was run over by a van.
I've lived on prospect park west for 12 years, my son is also 12 years old. Too many drivers race down that road. I've worried about my parents being able to get across the street on time. Current speed limits ARE NOT ENFORCED. I'm a cyclist, a driver and a mom - and I'm all for lowering the speed limit. Too many people of all ages cross that street coming in and out of the park. Let's not lose another life.
Nov. 24, 2013, 7:57 pm
jay from nyc says:
I have no issue with lowering the speed limit and then actually enforcing it as well, but what this group did by putting signs up on city property is actually illegal, and I believe is something like a 75$ fine for EACH sign put up.
They should be fined for breaking the law. However since the city won't enforce basic traffic laws that would save lives, I won't hold my breath waiting for the police to do their job in regards to this issue either.
Nov. 24, 2013, 8:08 pm
Stu from PPW says:
Please come to the 78th Precinct Community Council meeting on Tuesday, 11/26 at 7:30 PM. Meeting is at the precinct on 6th and Bergen.

You can ask the precinct commander why his precinct writes almost zero speeding tickets in this neighborhood!
Nov. 24, 2013, 8:51 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
As usual, the anti-car fanatics gang up on me and make personal attacks rather than discuss the issue. Even if all motor vehicles were obeying the speed limit be it changes or not, there will still be others such as pedestrians and cyclists that won't be playing their role in following the rules. Asking for only motorists to follow the ever letter of the law while pedestrians and cyclists to be almost exempt very much reminds me of Animal Farm by George Orwell where only a certain group of animals were always subject to laws while another group wasn't. Again, there should be enforcement on ALL groups, not just a select one. Overall, I should ask what is some of your malfunctions. Better yet, why are some of you so bent out of shape when it comes to asking about enforcement of the laws especially when some of you tend to go off your rockers when you can't take criticism despite the fact how much you like to dish it? Then again, trying to explain to some of you is the equivalence of trying to get the Muslim Brotherhood to accept Israel as an existing Jewish state.
Nov. 24, 2013, 10:04 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Wow, Tal.

Just ... wow.
Nov. 25, 2013, 12:36 am
Keegan from Williamsburg says:
Tal, the safer streets community absolutely supports (nay, demands) better enforcement of traffic laws.

The fact is, the VAST majority of deaths and serious injuries are caused by drivers, not pedestrians or cyclists, breaking the law. As the more vulnerable road-users, it is not really to the advantage of pedestrians or cyclists to put themselves in harms way - they will be the ones who die.

Still, pedestrians are dying all across our city - most of them in crosswalks and on sidewalks. There were five pedestrians killed ON SIDEWALKS in one weekend last month. Speed and reckless driving were obviously factors that led to the deaths of those human beings, yet only one of the drivers was charged with a crime.

We absolutely demand better enforcement, and are glad you support us in this effort.
Nov. 25, 2013, 8:52 am
bkmanhatposeur from brokelyn says:
Tal's types are savage automobile drivers who have disregard for teh lvies and safety of others.
Nov. 25, 2013, 9:25 am
ty from pps says:
Tal,
I fully endorse the application of a 20 mph speed limit to ALL roadway users... motorists, cyclists AND pedestrians. How is that an unfair punishment?!
Nov. 25, 2013, 9:39 am
S from PPW says:
This Tal idiot and the people impersonating him should be ashamed of themselves.
Nov. 25, 2013, 9:41 am
judahspechal from bedstuy says:
forgive me for asking, but I was under the impression tht the bike lanes, hd brought much needed calm to this roadway.

Wasn't that the reason for making it permanent?
Nov. 25, 2013, 10:52 am
dave from park slope says:
I live on PPW. I'm 100% in agreement the speed limit needs to be lowered. This is a park street, not a freeway. We need to focus more on safety and this is one easy way to do it.
Nov. 25, 2013, 11:25 am
PS'er from PS says:
@ ty from pps "...the reduction of PPW to two lanes instead of three has made the road much less insane. It's easier to cross..."

Going to have to disagree with you there. The bike lane is just as dangerous, if not slightly more, than the previous 3 auto lane. Rarely any cyclist stop or slow down at intersections because they somehow think it the lights and rules doesn't apply to them. I support enforcing the speed limits for autos but also would like something done to curb those manic cyclists.
Nov. 25, 2013, 12:24 pm
ty from pps says:
PS'er -- You're wallowing in selective memory and confirmation bias.

Do you really find crossing the bike lane that dangerous? Or is this just hyperbolic crap as usual... "maniac cyclists"? Really? Jesus.

I could engage your crazy a bit more, but I'm going to simply ask... Is it really an extraordinary requirement to look both ways before crossing? And, horror of all horrors, perhaps wait 4 seconds for a cyclist to pass? (You do that with cars, right?)
Nov. 25, 2013, 12:48 pm
ty from pps says:
(Also, FYI... with ONE exception, the stop light DO NOT apply to the PPW bike lane. Cyclists are expected to yield to pedestrians at crossings... of course, yield situations work best when the pedestrian is *also* present in the interaction.)
Nov. 25, 2013, 12:51 pm
S from PPW says:
judahspecial,

The bike lane did lower traffic speeds, from about 75% of all drivers speeding before the lane to about 20% after. And that's at peak hours and mid-day. The number of drivers speeding at night is still quite high.

So people are still able to drive quite fast here. Regardless, even the legal limit of 30 mph too high. This is a park alongside a residential neighborhood. The speed limit should be 20 mph or lower, just as it is near schools.

PS'er, cyclists do not have to stop at traffic lights on PPW. They only have to yield to pedestrians, which of course more people need to do.

Please remember that it's drivers, not cyclists, who have killed over a dozen children in the city this year alone.
Nov. 25, 2013, 12:52 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Thank you in advance for accepting my apology for what I'm about to say here on this board. But I've been waiting patiently and it hasn't come up:
It seems that this isn't exactly the safest place for a rode (and that's a fact). So, why don't we move the rode to a safer place? Hello (pardon the sarcasm)? Thanks for reading. Please don't all respond at once because we need the lines to be semi clear for the Brooklyn Paper in case they get any new news in.
John Wasserman
Nov. 25, 2013, 2:07 pm
Charles from PPW says:
I cross the street everyday, at least twice. Much more on the weekends. M-F I walk across to get to the subway. I look both ways and often see cyclists. If the light is red or if I'm about to cross, so far 100% of cyclists have stopped or slowed for me to cross. I've walked across on a green light and almost been hit by cars who do not always stop for their red (though most do).

My point, the street is WAY easier to cross now with the bike lane. Those saying otherwise are either outright lying to cause trouble or live in a weird bubble. I've never heard of, nor seen anyone getting hit by a bike in the bike lane on PPW. Cars hitting people though, well don't have to look hard to find instances of that.

What do people have with safety? Even my bat—— crazy MIL who drives like a f*cking timebomb gets the idea that the speed limit on PPW should be lowered.
Nov. 25, 2013, 2:42 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
I'm not sure why I've spelled "road" as "rode" in my above comment, but it somehow happened and I can assure you that this will not happen again. Pardon the interruption.
Nov. 25, 2013, 3:12 pm
Mike from Metcalf says:
I notice that all the cars described as having hit someone are SUVs. People buy these tanks because they think they will be protected, and everybody else had better look out for themselves. They are sealed off in a private little luxury world, and it's all about them.

Maybe if we replaced driver side air bags with exploding bags of nails these thoughtless idiots would be more careful about never, ever, ever getting into a collision!
Nov. 25, 2013, 3:35 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Hi Mike-John Wasserman. I hate to say this, but if these roads end up staying where they are, that might be the best solution. Thanks for reading and I hope you are enjoying your afternoon.
Nov. 25, 2013, 4:08 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Once again, the anti-car fanatics prove my point that all they do is make personal attacks toward me rather than actually debate the issue. As Al Gore would say, "You have committed the assault on reason." Anyway, it really doesn't make any sense to lower the speed limits for two main reasons. The first reason is the failure to enforce the current speed limits, so I doubt that lowering them will make it any better if the enforcement is the same as before. The other reason is that other groups hardly follow the laws themselves, though ironically still demand that all motorist must follow every letter of the law. Practice what you preach before telling others what to do. I can still remember the times I was either driving or walking on some NYC streets with cyclists constantly flouting the laws, and some occasions they almost got hit, but I was lucky to dodge a bullet with them. I won't argue that there are motorists that are known to be reckless, but don't blame a whole group just for the actions of a few. Still, enforcement must be applied to all groups, not just one, and I know who will be crying foul to that. On a side note, calling someone in idiot for not taking your side is very uncalled for, plus I will only see whoever does that is nothing more than a whacko attacko as Michael Moore would say.
Nov. 25, 2013, 4:46 pm
Mustache Pete from Fort Greene says:

Right now there's some positive talk that gives me hope. When push comes to shove though, I don't know that our Council has the political will to do such a thing. We don't know what the outlook of our unnamed DOT commissioner will be. Based on Big Bill's attitude towards Safer Streets thus far, I doubt we'll be getting anyone as progressive as Sadik-Khan.

As for Tal the Troll, he's just a crybaby. He was quiet for awhile and I thought maybe the medication was finally working. Then I guess seeing motorists blamed for running over innocent children sent him back over the edge. Now once again he's frothing at the mouth, comparing cyclists to Hezbollah from the safety of Mummy & Daddy's basement in Pleasantville. The guy talks tough but it's funny how he's always playing the victim for saying the stupidest and most obnoxious things.
Nov. 25, 2013, 5:40 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Mustache Pete from Fort Greene says:
"I like the idea of a 20mph limit for surface streets as maybe it would get motor vehicles down to 35mph, a safer speed for braking/swerving/reaction times."

I agree. I'm a very safety-conscious driver and I do *not* understand why Tal is so freaked by efforts to lower speeds or calm traffic (and save lives). He reacts as if speed/traffic control = Soul Death and he brings the damncraziest analogies and irrelevancies into these debates ...
Nov. 25, 2013, 7:21 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Mustache Pete, the only troll I see here is you. At least I don't make personal attacks on those who disagree with me. BTW, try looking at the causes of these accidents rather than just the effects sometimes. The cause was that the boy ran in the streets with hardly any adult supervision. Meanwhile, the motorist who hit, who I am not condoning his actions on, had very little time to notice this and stop for him. Had that kid used caution, that whole accident would have been avoided, though I still feel it was better for that kid not to go after the ball. On a side note, the fact that some of you comment in the middle of a work day or even in the early part shows that some of you may not have jobs or even lives in that matter. Seriously, you guys really need to stop drinking that Haterade and start taking some chill pills.
Nov. 25, 2013, 7:24 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- Stop being stupid. That is all.
Nov. 25, 2013, 7:37 pm
ty from pps says:
one more thing... Honestly, Tal. There are SOOOOO many people pointing out how nuts your thoughts are, you would think you'd take a moment for self-reflection... no?
Nov. 25, 2013, 7:42 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Pardon me, but is there an actual drink out there called Haterade? Sometimes I feel like I would benefit from it on these unwarranted happy days of mine. Thanks for reading.
Nov. 25, 2013, 7:46 pm
stu from ppw says:
Nov. 25, 2013, 8:14 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
John Wassermab from Prospect Heights says:
"Pardon me, but is there an actual drink out there called Haterade?"

Yes. It's brewed from gasoline fumes and makes people draw weird analogies between BP posters and the Muslim Brotherhood.
Nov. 25, 2013, 8:49 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Tal wrote: "On a side note, the fact that some of you comment in the middle of a work day or even in the early part shows that some of you may not have jobs or even lives in that matter."

On a side note: Middle of WHOSE workday? You think that all NYers work your hours at the recycling plant? (And people with lives don't write ongoing prolix obsessive treatises about other people's business, as you do.)

Grow up, willya?

Sheesh.
Nov. 25, 2013, 8:57 pm
Mustache Pete from Fort Greene says:
stu from ppw says:
"ty, stop engaging tal. it's dumb. you're as much of a problem as he is at this point."

Thank you, Stu. You are right and it goes for all of us. There is no "winning" here. Tal is not interested in what anyone else thinks or how much his willful ignorance irritates. He just needs the attention. I'm no longer giving it to him.
Nov. 25, 2013, 8:57 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Thank you for the info. It doesn't sound as if it would taste very good, though this is just one man's opinion. Not to mention its probably not very safe for smokers. I shall look this up on the computer. Here's to a fine evening to you sir.
Nov. 25, 2013, 8:59 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
For the record, I have nothing against those that disagree with me, it's those that have attacked me personally that I am against, which happens to be a lot of you. I could never understand why a lot of you are so defensive and act so bent out of shape on this issue especially when you all had your say on this issue, so let me and those who disagree have our's. Better yet, just go back to such car hating websites such as Streetsblog where you get to hear your own voices all the time while censoring anyone who disagrees with you. As for the speed limits, it hardly makes any sense to lower them when the current isn't already enforced. All that will happen is the same thing, and I do support enforcement of laws. However, I feel that all other groups including the non-motorists must follow them as well, but I know you guys will cry foul to that as always and claim that rules should be everyone who isn't you. In other words, you have no moral legitimacy to tell others to follow rules when you hardly follow them yourselves. I don't see why waiting for a walk signal is so hard for such jaywalkers or even why so many cyclists feel that they have the right to treat all traffic lights and signs as decorations. Let me tell you something about cars and all other motor vehicles, they are like the WNBA, because no matter how much you hate them, they aren't going away anytime soon, so live with them. Just because I oppose lowering speed limits, doesn't mean that I am going safety, so you guys really need some color to your black and white ideology. Seriously, if you have no connections with DOT or Transportation Alternatives I don't see the reason why some of you need to be so hostile to this just for thinking it's a bad idea.
Nov. 25, 2013, 9:28 pm
Mustache Pete from Fort Greene says:
Ty: Tal's latest rant should prove that engaging with the mentally ill and paranoid is just cruel. Therefore, we shouldn't do it.
Nov. 25, 2013, 11:14 pm
ty from pps says:
WOW! The recycling plant should really keep this guy away from the other workers.

(Agreed, mustache pete.)
Nov. 25, 2013, 11:55 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

For the record, I am not a car hater, but I do want to attack you personally.

I drive on PPW regularly and if I had to go 20 in stead of 30 it might add another minute to my trip. I could live with that. If the everyone had to drive 10 mph slower on every residential street it might added 4 or 5 minutes to their trip because most people don't drive much on residential streets.

On the other hand TAL I am really tired of the way YOU sidetrack OUR conversation. WE are tiring to make are streets safer and yes more efficient for everyone.

Go away TAL, nobody wants to play your games.
Nov. 26, 2013, 10:23 am
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Pardon the continued interruption, but I wanted to "interject" that I did, indeed, try haterade last night and I must say, and you may or may not fully agree with me on this issue, but it did not "taste" very good. I am not sure it was the "correct" solution to my unwarranted happy days. Thanks for your continued reading and have a pleasant afternoon, except for Tal and people who "drive" SUVs.
Nov. 26, 2013, 11:23 am
Stu from PPW says:
It's clear that most of the "Tals" here are fakes. Stop engaging. Forever.

Ty and Other Michael, that goes double for you both.
Nov. 26, 2013, 11:27 am
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Stu from PPW, than you for pointing out what many of us were also thinking: There are too many "fakes" here and it is, and you'll pardon me for pointing this out, becoming quite "odd" I must say. Thank you for reading and have a good day.
Nov. 26, 2013, 11:42 am
Scott from Park Slope says:
The bike lane on PPW and re-timing the lights so the optimal speed is 21-3 mph to hit all greens from GAP to Windsor Terrace has made a dramatic difference to pedestrian safety. Cars no longer go 60mph trying to beat the reds and slalom from lane to lane to get around other drivers who slow to park or drop someone off. Obviously, though, the calming measures have not been enough to avoid this kind of tragedy. I believe it's because PPW is one section of calmed street surrounded by a sea of Darwinian traffic; Jehus exiting the surroundings want to continue their reckless driving on PPW too. The answer is to implement a 20mph limit across the city, with physical modifications to the streets like bulb-outs and speed humps to reinforce it and deter scofflaws. If people want to drive fast, let them use the BQE, or better yet, the Jersey turnpike.
Nov. 26, 2013, 12:12 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Councilman Brad Lander is convening a meeting on the subject:

Neighborhood Forum on Street Safety in Park Slope
Tuesday, December 3
6:30pm to 8:30 pm
Park Slope United Methodist Church
410 6th Avenue at 8th Street

If you care about drivers not killing our kids, attend and let your voice be heard.
Nov. 26, 2013, 12:14 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Once again, and just for the record: What did I miss at 11:23am and 11:42am when I was out doing my grocery shopping for my elderly neighbor who only has one foot, if you'll pardon my asking? An impersonation or two? A personal attack (which I consider a new low, even for Ty and/or bearded Peter)?
Now I have nothing against anyone here on this station, and everyone is entitled to his or hers own opinion, but these personal attacks have gone far enough, if you don't mind my saying so.
I think that it is wrong to run most anyone over and I stand my earlier ground that I believe these roads should be moved to a safer neighborhood.
Thanks for reading. John Wasserman.
Prospect Heights resident/Patriot
Nov. 26, 2013, 1:24 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Seriously, there are ways to make the streets safer without causing an inconvenience to a certain group, which is what the anti-car crowd here seems to support. If there is a lack of enforcement, then who should be blamed for that? The answer is the police themselves, not the motorists. Also, enforcement should be done on the other groups as well, so I would like to see more enforcement on those who love to jaywalk as well as use bicycles to flout traffic laws, which is really going to into harm's way, but probably makes anyone who does it a martyr in the eyes of places such as Streetsblog and Transportation Alternatives. Again, if there is hardly any enforcement of the existing laws, then it makes absolutely no sense to change or add new ones especially if the enforcement will just stay the same. On a side note, I didn't say anyone here lived in their parent's basement, called for anyone I didn't like to be silenced, or called them idiots or ignorant when that was all coming from you guys, which shows who the real attackers and trolls really are. Sometimes, it takes a narcissist to kick another one off of their high horses and bring back down to reality.
Nov. 26, 2013, 3:12 pm
ready2move from crown heights says:
Time to first stop the polarbear attacks. Hey Ray and Bloom, how many more cracks in the head do we Jews have to swallow before you get the idea that there is a problem?
We must try to avoid us following the lead of Nathan and taking the law into our own hands. Our patience is thin, and your political correctness needs to end.
Nov. 27, 2013, 6:21 am
Original PSoper from Original Park Slope says:
Wow the anti car nazis are at it again they want it their way or no way. SMH ok speed limits should be enforced but that should go for BIKES as well as cars
Nov. 27, 2013, 1:23 pm
justin from park slope says:
I’ve seen plenty of car service drivers break the speed limit over 10-20 mph. The NYPD should start imposing fines or penalties at the CAB/Car service companies.
Nov. 27, 2013, 2:04 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Just to let you all know, that sign that the protesters put up was taken down by the police about a day ago according to the Daily News especially because it was illegal to place sign on that street lamp without some kind of authorization.
Nov. 27, 2013, 3:08 pm
ty from pps says:
"especially because" Tal?

And thanks for the update, Tal. I'm sure everyone thought the signs would stay up. You sure are an invaluable resource to our community. (It's really a shame that you are not a member of our community... such a shame.)
Nov. 27, 2013, 4:12 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I suggest you all read the comments to this Daily News article that has to do with this issue, because those that oppose it make some good points.

Nov. 27, 2013, 4:42 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
This is a complete waste of resources. It would be simplest if they just banned pedestrians on the majority of roads, b/c there are far more drivers anyway, and for the greater efficiency for the city as a whole, they should increase speed limits for cars, while banning bicycles and pedestrians from most roads. After all most of them simply use the streets to jay ride their bikes or jay walk across the road while flagarantly ignoring all the rules and abiding by right of ways. there is no point of lowering speed limits, and there are two main reasons why it would hardly help. The first is that as long as there is hardly any enforcement on this rule, many will still be tempted to disobey that law and live to talk about it. The other is that other groups such as the one you are part of has no tendency for playing their part of following the rules, so you have no obligations to tell others what to do when you hardly practice what you preach. If enforcement should be done on speed demons and other reckless drivers, then same should be applied to the bike zealots and jaywalkers as well. Who am I kidding here? Trying to explain you biased anti-car haters tends to have the equivalence of trying to get the Muslim Brotherhood to accept Israel as a nation for the Jews, and we all know how that goes. What I can never understand is why one group has to follow every letter of the law when others can be exempt from them, which is why I gave them the Animal Fart reference. Believe or not, there are more pedestrians that fear cyclists even more than motorists especially when they have the tendency to disobey numerous traffic lights and signs much more constantly than motorists ever do.
Dec. 6, 2013, 1:20 pm
Mustache Pete from Fort Greene says:
Lighten up, Francis. You live in Pleasantville.
Dec. 11, 2013, 3:24 pm