Whole Foods is coming — really soon

The long-awaited, sometimes-controversial Gowanus Whole Foods is finally opening on Dec. 17.

The food retailer has spent the last year of construction on the gourmet grocery store doling out tantalizing tidbits about what artisanal, organic treasures and whiz-bang features the outlet will hold. Here is a sampling of what to expect:

• A rooftop beer bar and restaurant overlooking the fetid Gowanus Canal that will serve up a variety of brews, including Red Hook favorite Sixpoint. The food menu is not finalized yet, but will boast burgers, ribs, and vegetarian dishes from local vendors including pickle company Brooklyn Brine.

• A massive, energy-efficient roof greenhouse, which will supply a few sprigs of the store’s produce.

• Monthly “drink and draw” sessions at the rooftop bar, where doodlers from Arts Gowanus will run session on topics including still life and collage, according to media reports. The events are not to be confused with those of the same name at the now-shuttered Third Ward art space where former Brooklyn Paper editor once scarred retinas by posing nude.

• A Yuji Ramen stand owned by chef Yuji Haraguchi, whose eatery is already serving up steaming bowls of noodles at the Bowery Whole Foods in Manhattan.

• Products by borough companies made exclusively for the store, including a line of frozen pizzas from fancy Bushwick pie palace Roberta’s and the sweet kind of circular pastry from Whole Foods’ bakery neighbor Four and Twenty Blackbirds. Also, beer-infused chocolate truffles.

The Gowanus Whole Foods will not be the fancy food chain’s only location in the borough for long. A Williamsburg outlet is slated to open in late 2014 on the basement levels of a mall-apartment complex.

Brooklyn’s first Whole Foods opens at (214 Third Street at Third Avenue in Gowanus, www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/brooklyn). Tues, Dec. 17, 8:30 am.

Reach reporter Megan Riesz at mriesz@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505. Follow her on Twitter @meganriesz.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Excuse me for saying this, but am I the only one who thinks a rooftop bar opening December 17th might not be, and please pardon if this is obvious already, the best idea "during" the cold of winter?
I do realize it is merely December 11th, and this "cold" weather could still take a turn and "warm up" especially if Al Gore has anything to "do" with it, but would I be entirely out of place to believe or suggest it "possible" that later in December may actually be colder than earlier in December?
Excuse me suggesting this, but years of careful investigation have lead me to believe this is how our cruel "mother nature" works. Please continue to read and buuuuundle "up."
Dec. 11, 2013, 10:53 am
Larry from Brooklyn says:
John what is also very odd to suggest, and not very believable is that the green house could possibly be energy efficient and physically comfortable for people and plants. Glass structures have terrible R-values, even the so called Leed certified stuff.
Hope they do produce some real numbers evaluating their claim, because if it is actually energy efficient then they should share that as a workable model for others to follow.
It would be good to see if the expected energy efficiency actually offsets the added use of cars people will need to get to the place.
Dec. 11, 2013, 2:35 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Obviously not a true Wasserman (located above) (far too many “quotes”)but (and I hate to be the one have to say this on the air this way) I found it quite interesting. I'd also like to thank Larry for the additional information. Here's hoping you'll pardon the interruption.
And I'd also like to add, if I could, to the man with the same name as me that lives in the same neighborhood: Please don't make me move back into Windsor Terrace with that wife of mine.
Thank you for reading.
John Wasserman
Dec. 11, 2013, 6:25 pm
diehipster from Hurting Harrisons says:
As promised for opening day, I will disguise myself with a beard, thick frames, and Converse and release a cage of mice and roaches in this Whole Foods.

Oh and all the "John Wassermans: are Failed Apologetic Comedic Commentors"
Dec. 12, 2013, 8:35 am
ty from pps says:
I'm sure you will, diehipster. I'm sure you will.
Dec. 12, 2013, 9:51 am
John Wasserman from Juno, Alaska says:
"diehipster: Failed Abortion"
Dec. 12, 2013, 11:09 am
Adamben from Bedstuy says:
Thanks god!

Ps the fairway staff have been much friendlier.
Dec. 12, 2013, 12:26 pm
John Wasserman from Utah Beardsville says:
diehipster will show up in a beard because he actually has a beard and wears ironic glasses and t-shirts. He's a self-hating hipster: the worst kind. He'll be taking the G train from his Williamsburg loft his parents pay for. Poor guy, you almost feel sorry for him.

Pardon me for saying this.
Dec. 13, 2013, 10:32 am
Scott from Park Slope says:
Whole Foods is a big step up from the brownfield that lot ever was. I don't care if they cracked the facade of that building on the corner. Most Brooklynites don't care either. I also don't care if fake natives like diehipster or SwampYankee despise it. Their rage at change is impotent, and irrelevant. I do care that a lot more people will travel to the Gowanus, and urge its remediation. I care that by the time my children come of age, that the Gowanus might actually be a body of water they could swim and fish in.
Dec. 14, 2013, 6:37 pm