February 15, 2013 / Brooklyn news / Bloomy in the ’Hood

Mayor Bloomberg talks Brooklyn legacy in 2013 State of the City

The Kings County speech: Mayor’s last lecture lavishes praise on boro legacy

Mayor Bloomberg chose Brooklyn as the centerpiece of his legacy during his 12th and final State of the City address delivered on Thursday at the Barclays Center — touting the gleaming arena as the reward for three terms of large-scale development and bashing critics as naysayers who tried, but failed, to stand in his way.

“Over the past 11 years, we have beaten the odds, and the obstructionists, over and over again, not just here in Brooklyn, but in neighborhoods all across the city,” said Bloomberg to a who’s-who of political luminaries including mayoral hopefuls Public Advocate Bill DeBlasio, Councilwoman Christine Quinn, and Comptroller John Liu. “Is there anyone who still believes that New York City can’t get big things done? Since we’re here in Brooklyn, I’ll say it again: Fuhgeddaboudit.”

The mayor ticked off a laundry list of large-scale development projects around city, but gave special attention to those in Brooklyn.

He championed the planned Greenpoint Landing project, which will bring luxury housing to the banks of the Newtown Creek, the Domino Sugar factory, which Two Trees Management Co. aims to turn residential, the Brooklyn Navy Yard, which is slated to become a technology and media hub, Downtown cultural developments, which include plans for a new theater and glass-working facility, Brooklyn Bridge Park, which recently debuted new open space and will soon turn the Tobacco Warehouse into an arts venue, Steeplechase Plaza, which heralds a glitzy new future to Coney Island, and, of course, the Atlantic Yards mega-project, which brought the borough the Barclays Center.

“The Barclays Center is the latest sign of just how hot Brooklyn has become,” he said, trumpeting the 2,000 people employed at the arena, 75 percent of whom he claimed are borough residents. “For the first time since La Guardia was mayor and FDR created the WPA, we’re not only conceiving big plans that fundamentally change the landscape of our city, we’re achieving them.”

The mayor, who wasn’t just celebrating his final State of the City address but also his birthday, called for a computer science training program for adults to be built Downtown as part of a larger program for strengthening the tech industry.

The mayor also vigorously endorsed the NYPD’s controversial stop-and-frisk program while calling for reduced penalties for marijuana possession, announced permanent East River ferry service, and triumphed environmental initiatives including a solar- and wind-powered recycling mega-center in Sunset Park that will accept more plastics — including salad containers and CD cases, Bloomberg claims — when it opens.

“Even if you don’t care about climate change, cleaning our air is good for your health,” said Bloomberg, who bragged of reducing the city’s carbon footprint by 16 percent in five years.

Borough President Markowitz, who served as the hype man for the mayor, kvelled about Brooklyn’s new Miss America, marvelled that it took “two boychiks not even from Brooklyn” to make the Barclays Center happen, and wondered what birthday gift to get for a man who, as he repeatedly pointed out, has more money than him.

But he came up with something: a Big Gulp cup made from Styrofoam, which the mayor hopes to ban twice over.

But, as always, it was the Brooklyn Nets Kids who stole the show with a short routine, proving once again that the dancing tykes are the borough’s biggest stars.

Reach reporter Eli Rosenberg at erosenberg@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2531. Follow him at twitter.com/emrosenberg.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Or from Yellow Hook says:
God Save the King!
Feb. 14, 2013, 5:40 pm
JAZ from Dropping Quinns says:
Yes, Bloomberg's love of hypergentrification certainly had the desired effect on Brooklyn; under his tenure, working class people were priced out at a more accelerated rate than ever before, so that he could get his hands on Caleb's trust fund while he plays gritty urban artist.
Feb. 14, 2013, 6:46 pm
Raphael from Bay Ridge says:
He couldn't name a single program, project or investment that was geared toward middle and low-income individuals, and by that I don't mean "the poor". This mayor has overseen a period that catered to corporations, pandered to the rich, gave tax breaks to tax cheats, jailed peaceful protesters, shut down public assembly, declared that free speech was not a right, and spent more per capita on the armament of police than on the education of children. While applaud his clawback of roadways for pedestrians and bikes and a stellar public art program, he has overseen a mayoralty of excess for the wealthy and well-connected and antagonism and outright mistreatment of most everyone else.
Feb. 15, 2013, 12:44 am
Edgar from Red Hook says:
God save the Queen
Feb. 15, 2013, 3:46 am
Charlie from Cortelyou says:
Effete Boomberger reigns with a wilted wrist
Feb. 15, 2013, 8:14 am
steve from downtown says:
Bloomberg will be remebered as a smart mayor doing his best under trying circumstances to maintain the City's TAX BASE, without which you'd have no government programs, or jobs for that matter.
Feb. 15, 2013, 8:25 am
Don from Downtown says:
Bloomberg's entire career has been about breaking any law he thought unnecessary to further his egotistical version of "his" universe. He is a little tin dictator, short (!) and simple. He has lied, over and over again. He has robbed people of their rights, he has unbalanced the economy in a totally unhealthy way that will take a generation to undo, but it will be undone. And of course, to get those damn charter schools OUT of regular schools, refinance the regular schools, refinance medical care and public housing, and make the rich pay up!

Barclays Center is the perfect spot for this kettle of lies.
Feb. 15, 2013, 9 am
Norman Oder says:
The Barclays Center was an emblematic location, both as promoted achievement and the need to look beyond the puffery.

More coverage:
Feb. 15, 2013, 9:54 am
Homey from Crooklyn says:
He just broke the needle on my douchebag detector.
Feb. 15, 2013, 10:49 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Bloomberg's biggest mistake was bringing the crime rate down without increasing the housing supply enough to keep up with the increased desirability to live in New York.

I say that with tongue in cheek. I know he's up against entrenched forces that want to keep the housing supply fixed, and then are surprised that when you can't build in the East Village, people move to Williamsburg, and when you can't move to Williamsburg, people move to Bushwick.

The next mayor is either going to have to increase the housing supply by a lot or make New York a much worse place to live or make New York even less affordable.
Feb. 15, 2013, 11:39 am
Friend of Howard Stern from Beth's bedroom says:
Sources said soda in Styrofoam cups gives him gas. Get on this Gersh.
Feb. 15, 2013, 4:56 pm
ty from pps says:
I like how all of the smart asses on here like to keep referring to Gersh. He hasn't been the editor for a very long time -- a year?
Feb. 15, 2013, 5:09 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
How nice for Bloomberg to hold his speech at a place that he has supported so much, that he wanted the state to foot the bill for that. I wonder how much was this event subsidized for? My guess is that it was placed here because no other major events were coming there. Let's not forget that Bloomberg always kept on claiming how much the city is broke to help any part in the public sector, but always seemed to have the money when it comes to his rich buddies and pet projects.
Feb. 15, 2013, 6:35 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal, seriously?!

"My guess is that it was placed here because no other major events were coming there."

What?

Don't worry Justin Biever is coming in August. Maybe you can get his autograph.
Feb. 15, 2013, 6:49 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, you can admit that you work for Bloomberg, because you seem to rush to his defense a lot.
Feb. 15, 2013, 7:27 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- Really? No, I'm attacking you... especially when you say stupid things (which is almost everything you say). For example....

"I wonder how much was this event subsidized for?"

How about 100%. This is the annual State of the City address... the city pays for it. Guess what? When the Mayor makes an official appearance and there are expenses, the city pays for it. What is so difficult to understand?
Feb. 16, 2013, 10:20 am
diehipster from art art art art art art art art art art art art says:
Bloomberg will soon be gone. May the next mayor cater to the real citizens of this city. Let's make this a real city once again and not a playground for the pseudo creative transplant mother effing hipster betas.
Feb. 16, 2013, 11:13 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Ty, forget working for Bloomberg--you're doing the Lord's work cleaning up after Tal et al.
Feb. 16, 2013, 3:18 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Let's just hope that whoever wins the mayor election will undo the mess the Bloomberg brought on and be a real man of the people.
Feb. 16, 2013, 5:49 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- After reading all of you insipid moronic posts all I can say is suck a big one. You are a liar of the worst sort and I don't appreciate you and your boyfriend making a scene in Al Di La this evening. You two can do what you what, but don't come to my table drunk and with a younger boyfriend that would've backed onto a door knob to satisfy his horniness. My kids weren't amused.
Feb. 16, 2013, 11:50 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Wow, Ty, the only thing you can come up with is personal attacks rather than an actual discussion. Throughout his terms, he kept on saying that the places in the public sector had to be slashed to save money such as public schools, hospitals, firehouses, and senior centers in the claim that there was hardly any money for them. However, at the same time, he said that there was plenty of money for bike lanes, pedestrian plazas, charter schools, and even building new places for the Mets, Yankees, and Nets. I cannot believe how you turn a blind eye to who Bloomberg really is, and it's probably because he supports something that you like, and you are afraid if someone who is the anti-Bloomberg will just take it all away if they win. Let's not forget how much was spent with a program known as City Time, and many never got their money back from that. Another reason Bloomberg won't be missed is his nanny acts that he is trying to control whatever someone can have. Maybe when he leaves office, he should take you with him not to mention anyone else here and in the city who seems to defend him.
Feb. 17, 2013, 12:18 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- I've been "personally attacking" you for ages now, so you'd think you'd be able to recognize when a comment wasn't written by me...

That said, it sure doesn't take much to get you to spew 200 words of unorganized thoughts. Have you ever taken a moment to reflect on what you type or do you always just write down whatever comes into your little head, in whatever order it comes, and then click submit?

Do you know what the word babble means?
Feb. 17, 2013, 1:56 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, I had said things similar to this on the City Room section of the NY Times, and I was recommended by a lot over there. What you call babble here, others over there will call stating the truth. I know that you believe that he does no evil, but not everyone is as gullible to him as you are. Let's not forget that sometimes for Bloomberg to address a problem is to create it himself by whatever he can. By that I am talking about creating gridlock for congestion pricing, overcrowding public schools to make the teachers look bad, intentionally not fixing public housing to make them look blighted, and so many more. Also, he goes on record for hiring those he knows personally in some departments such as the DOE and NYCHA just to make those said departments look bad so that he can get whatever he wants there. It's not my fault that I put you between a rock and a hard place here, plus you don't even know how to have an actual debate, so you resort to personal attacks, which I find to be nothing more than the weak and cowardly, which clearly describes you. I know that you can dish criticism, but can't take it. Overall, you can try to denounce me on seeing Bloomberg for who he really is, but many will know the truth about him. If you can't stand the heat, then just get out of the kitchen.
Feb. 17, 2013, 3:41 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- I'm not talking about the content of your comments... I think there are actually (once in a while) little nuggets of valid arguments.

I'm talking about the ridiculous babbling form your comments take. Again, 250 words and no order. It's like you vomit on the computer screen with 20 thoughts and no attempt at making any orderly sense of them.

I'll reformulate your final statement: "If you can't take the effort to write an organized, coherent comment, stop making comments!" (Or at least stop saying it's a personal attack when someone calls you out for your continual lack of anything that could be called organized thought)
Feb. 17, 2013, 4:36 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, I don't call anyone who disagrees with me the way you do, because I find it wrong to attack the person directly, but rather just disagree with the viewpoint, which is what I am doing. I don't have anything against you personally nor on Bloomberg either. However, you are trying to dodge the argument to attack me instead of explaining why what he did was right. That does draw suspicion that you may have some connections with him especially when you seem to be rushing to his defense rather than presenting evidence proving otherwise. Again, nobody on the NY Times thinks that I am babbling except for a few fanatics, and have recommended my comments because they state in a form I like to call tough love, which means that I'm not going to state something that you can just find on a bumper sticker. Speaking of the Barclays Center, it looks like the jobs promised are just another lie. So much for saying that we have Ratner's word on that.

Feb. 17, 2013, 4:53 pm
ty from pps says:
OK, Tal. That's fine. Then I guess there is no reason to take any effort to make your comments readable. I suppose you are reaching your "target audience" with this style.

I'm not dodging anything. I'm simply trying to point out that it is impossible to "debate" you when your comments are rambling and borderline incoherent. There is a difference between 'dodging' and tell you that your comments are in the style of a deranged nut bag.

Try presenting the SAME "tough love" ideas in a manner that has a modicum of organization... then maybe folks will take you seriously. (And, no Tal, the folks that take you seriously are very much the exception... )
Feb. 17, 2013, 5:31 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, it's not impossible to make a debate, you just make it impossible. It's not my fault that you can't take the time to read it all especially when you probably have a short attention span. If my comments on the NY Times get a lot of recommendations, then they must be saying something good. Still, you haven't proved to me why Bloomberg does no evil after I stated everything he did that felt wrong. Don't try to use excuses to avoid answering it, just answer it already. If you really can't tell me why Bloomberg is a good man, you can always say that you have no answer for that, and I will understand why you can't present that rather than making the statements you are right now. Then again, that would be too mature for you, and you love to use the internet as someone you are not especially when you can attack others from the safety of your own computer screen. You are probably more afraid of me, then I am of you. Nevertheless, you will probably pick Quinn, because she is right now the closest to come to Bloomberg, and she will probably be the lesser of all the evils despite not liking them, because you feel that you will have to vote for somebody.
Feb. 17, 2013, 7:20 pm
ty from pps says:
OK Tal. Think whatever you want.

I look forward to hearing who you are voting for in the New York City mayor election.
Feb. 17, 2013, 8:02 pm
dep from the isle o'coney says:
ty i see what you did there!
Feb. 17, 2013, 8:17 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
I opposed how Bloomberg treated protesters during the RNC and his efforts to overturn term limits, but on balance he has been a good mayor. PlaNYC, the bike lanes, smoking ban, calorie labelling in restaurants, efforts to revamp transportation in the city, reclaiming the waterfront, and keeping the city's finances healthy during difficult economic times have been landmark achievements.

It's sad to see that not one candidate for mayor has anything approaching that kind of vision or competence. There are only two elected officials in NYC who fit that description at all, Tish James and Brad Lander, but they're not running.
Feb. 18, 2013, 8:34 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Bloomberg is nothing more than a wolf in sheep's clothing. He only pretends to care about the common person when really doesn't. what he really wants from all of you is to believe that you have his word, and use that as a way to push his agenda forward. In the end, he is really just looking out for his rich buddies, while the rest of you are supporting them with your tax dollars. I know some will mention how he helped with placing so many bike lanes, pedestrian plazas, etc, but that is just something to hide what he really does, because dictators have been known for this as well. Unfortunately, many forget at what cost everything he placed came with, especially when some like to say that under Benito Mussolini the trains were actually on time.
Feb. 18, 2013, 4:32 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- So, who do you think are you are going to vote for?

Also, did you notice Scott's comment? He mentioned PlaNYC -- do you know what that is? He mentioned the reclaiming of the waterfront -- do you know about that? He mentioned the stability of the city's finances during some of the worst fiscal times -- do you get that?

It's fun that you keep going back to bike lanes and pedestrian plazas as your "counter argument" -- but things that the MAJORITY of New Yorker's view as positive is not exactly a great starting point... Oh, right. Bloomberg is Mussolini and I am clearing "hamassing" you.

uggh.

Anyway, who are you going to vote for?
Feb. 18, 2013, 5:52 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasnatville, NY says:
Ty, much of that reclaimed waterfront is going to the rich, not the common person. For the most part, they will restrict access to anyone else. As for the claim on the financial issues, anyone could have done that, so this doesn't make Bloomberg any special. If I could vote, I would have probably picked Thompson, though Liu does seem convincing as well, though I will support anyone who is not like Bloomberg, which is most likely going to be Quinn, who you will probably be voting for.
Feb. 18, 2013, 5:58 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal - Everything you just said is stupid and baseless. God why can't you live in *this* reality once in a while?

But back to more pressing concerns -- Why aren't you voting? I don't understand....
Feb. 18, 2013, 6:59 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First off all, I don't reside anywhere in NYC, so I can't vote in the elections. However, that doesn't mean that I can't state how I feel, and there are plenty of those who live outside the city that despise Bloomberg as much as I do. If you don't believe me, then look over at the NY Times for that. The only thing that I feel sorry for is not having the same kind of eyes that you have for Bloomberg, and that you will never see him for who he really is until it's too late, which is why there are those such as myself who can see that right now.
Feb. 18, 2013, 7:46 pm
ty from pps says:
Hey Tal... The difference? He is MY mayor, not yours. I actually have lots of criticisms for Bloomberg. But I'm also not a nutjob like you that seems to care more about Brooklyn than the place you ACTUALLY live.

Are you old enough to avoid national service yet? Why don't you move back to Israel -- didn't you say you're from there? There's LOTS of stuff there to kvetch about.
Feb. 18, 2013, 9:38 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Speaking of Israel, I still cannot understand how Bloomberg allowed for the BDS to speak at Brooklyn College and even have it funded by that. I am glad that the Daily News had the coverage for that. As a matter of fact, there were four students there who were kicked out of the room just for asking hardball questions to them that they refused to answer, and I hope that the college gets sued for this, especially when those students were hardly even being disruptive there at all. That just shows how much the BDS can dish criticism, but they can't take it. Also, a reporter that had a yamaka wasn't even allowed to go in. I find this an irony for Bloomberg allowing for that event to take place even though he claims to be pro-Israel himself. Even when pro-Israel supporters such as Alan Dershowitz himself comes to speak, they allow for criticism and didn't call for anyone asking a hardball question to be thrown out like what the BDS did. Then again, allowing for them is Bloomberg for you.
Feb. 19, 2013, 4:31 pm