NEW BAY RIDGE BEER GARDEN TO APPEAL TO HIPSTERS

Ridge barman gets beer garden ready for neighborhood 'hipster invasion'

Hipsters have invaded Bay Ridge — and barman Tommy Casatelli is ready for them.

In anticipation of the skinny-jeans set’s arrival in the neighborhood, the Kettle Black and Ho’Brah Taco Joint owner plans to debut the neighborhood’s first beer garden, the Lockyard, early next year that will serve an extensive selection of microbrews from around the Midwest — or, as Casatelli calls it, Pennsyltucky.

Casatelli, who once cracked jokes about members of the flannel-sporting counter culture in a viral video entitled “Sh-- People From Brooklyn Say,” says his beer garden planned to be built inside the now shuttered Bridgeview Locksmith on Fifth Avenue and 92nd Street will easily draw the hipsters who have already been seen visiting neighborhood taprooms.

“A lot of different-looking people have been coming into the Kettle Black and they are definitely not from Bay Ridge,” said Casatelli. “We’re getting people from Nebraska, Ohio, California, and they were all wearing the hipster uniform.”

The indie-music loving youngsters Casatelli spoke with said they moved to Bay Ridge after getting priced out of Williamsburg and Park Slope — and the firefighter turned bar owner says he’s eager to welcome them with open arms.

“I think it’s great,” Casatelli said. “Bay Ridge needed to open its arms a bit. We’ve been a spaghetti and meatball and Irish bar neighborhood forever. Brooklyn’s always changing and there’s room for everybody.”

The Lockyard’s Midwest theme and mid-sized backyard may remind many Brooklyn transplants of home, he says.

“It’s really going to be about Americana. It’s going to look like somebody’s backyard,” Casatelli said, promising an interior design reminiscent of the classic “Sailor Jerry” tattoos and a menu of hot dogs, sausages, and knishes.

Craft beer lovers will be able to buy growlers — big glass urns that look like moonshine jugs — and fill them up with their favorite brews on tap to take back home with them, Casatelli says.

The 42-year-old bar owner picked the new spot’s name both as a tribute to the location’s history as a locksmith shop — which his uncle owned, and where he once worked — and because he claims it sounds like something from the heartland.

“‘Lockyard,’ you know, it just sounded old-school Americana,” Casatelli said.

But the self-described pizza-loving “Bay Ridge kid” said the beer garden won’t just be for transplants — he wants neighborhood natives to turn out, too.

“I’d never want to alienate what I am and where I come from,” said Casatelli. “When I was a kid, bars had Bud, Coors, Heineken, Corona, that’s it. If a place had Smithwick’s or something, that was a big deal,”

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at (718) 260–4507 or e-mail him at wbredderman@cnglocal.com. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/WillBredderman

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Mickey Shea from Greenpoint says:
Well, there goes the neighborhood.
Sept. 19, 2012, 8:23 am
diehipster from still normal part of Brooklyn says:
Wow, one man is single handedly going to ruin Bay Ridge. Shame on him. I don't think I'll ever go to Kettle Black again because of this. I can't wait to see how the normal people around there react to these bearded culdesacians nasally shrieking into the night. May every last Caleb and Josh get a beat down the moment they get off that R train. This is so sad. I hope this fails miserably. Http://www.diehipster.com
Sept. 19, 2012, 8:57 am
Sajh from Brooklyn Heights says:
It's more wishful thinking than something that is going to happen. Hipsters or as I like to call them STDs (Suburban Transplant Derelicts) only want to live near the Village. The very reason they even moved to Williamsburg was b/c the East Village was too expensive & they wanted more space. Considering the R train stops running into the city late nights and it takes forever and a day between the N.ever and the R.arely trains to get anywhere, it seems unlikely that a few lost souls are going to represent a trend...
Sept. 19, 2012, 9:05 am
John from Bay Ridge says:
Is this the same Tommy Casatelli that didn't pay $1.2M in taxes and did Federal time?
Sept. 19, 2012, 9:14 am
Transplant from Here to Stay says:
Funny how "real NY'ers" and natives change their tune once there's a buck to be made. Who do you think rents these places out?

Anyway, I thought this read more like April Fools. It's obvious that this paper trolls the Die Hipster crowd. They don't even try to fake it. Bike lanes, kickball scores, the next pickle shop... it's just so easy to get them to come out.

Let me get my popcorn. This will be good. Wait until Die Hipster links this story to his circle jerk website. They'll come in droves with the same tired jokes and go back and congratulate eachother and make up stories about how they are tough guys to "hipsters" in real life. Who really has the "butthurt" as you all so eloquently call it?
Sept. 19, 2012, 9:14 am
raj from manhattan beach says:
Transplant here to stay.. it's about 4-6 years max and you're back home. There's strong statistics behind that statement.
Who do you think rents out these places? what places? Apartments? The city has a 1% vacancy rate. I think NY was doing fine before you and will after you. It amazes me how you think you're so important. Also, who eats popcorn at 9:14am in the morning?
Sept. 19, 2012, 9:27 am
Jeff M from Bay Ridge says:
This just makes me sick. I will never set foot in Kettle Black or Hobrah.
Sept. 19, 2012, 9:39 am
manposeur from brooklandia says:
Hmmm, i always thought Sunset Park would be the next area for Hipster invasion cause the R & N trains are bit more viable! Yah! More of my people from around the country & suburbia!
Sept. 19, 2012, 9:42 am
Murse from Ames, IA says:
Like yah! Awesome idea! Can't wait for the corn shucking competition right after the kickball game. I was 3rd alternate shucker on my HS team in Ames until i suffered a severe wrist strain.

I hope Bay Ridgers get jobs as lawyers & doctors soon, because we're going to price you out of the neighborhood in no time. Fuggedabout (am I saying that right?) cappucinos, my swarthy I-talian neighbors, we love triple grande no-foam lattes made from coffee beans pooped out by orangutans in Jakarta.
Sept. 19, 2012, 9:55 am
Ann from Bay Ridge says:
Not everyone who lives in Bay Ridge is a) a transplant from the Midwest and b) a Senior Citizen. I'm a 20-something Bay Ridge resident who is tired of leaving the neighborhood to eat/drink something decent. Let's check this place out before we hear the word "hipster" and all freak out.
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:02 am
Z from Bay Ridge says:
never liked Kettle Black.... loud, obnoxious and crowded.
I agree with Sajh on the transportation deterrent.
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:09 am
Just days away from taking your iPhone 5! says:

Sorry Tommy, but that's exactly what you're trying to do. You think the locals that have to wake up for work at 5a are going to be happy that the quiet little locksmith shop was replaced with a beer garden full of whiney and nasel voiced staycationers honking about hops and alcohol content at the top of their lungs until after 3 every weeknight? WTF is wrong with Coors and Bud and Heineken anyway??

I hope that the other commenters are right and the distance from the city and infrequency of the trains will keep the try-hards out of Bay Ridge!
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:22 am
Transplant from Here to Stay says:
Raj,

Been here longer than that and own my home. Sorry I don't fit your statistics.

Also sorry for not being clear in my post. I meant, who do think owns these apartments and sets the rising rents you all complain about. The natives may get restless, but they're the first to raise the rent or cash out to join their brethren in "Joiseylongislandca." But, as you said, 1% vacancy - so maybe it's good 'ol supply and demand rather than some Midwest conspiracy.

Popcorn is a great snack while enjoying the show that is watching "real NY'ers" talk tough on a comment section. Mine is an artisan-made, fair trade, heirloom blend... kettle cooked :)
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:25 am
Ralph from Bay Ridge says:
Watching this comment fight reminds me of how dumb my neighbors can be. You're reading the Brooklyn Paper, which specializes in labeling disparate groups by ethnicity, religion, or clothing choice and pitting them against "natives." I predict a "young versus old" article about Bay Ridge seniors sick of those rascals with backpacks and skateboards again soon. Then we'll probably get back to some Arab vs. Italian business shenanigans. Then we'll have the Asian invasion story. It's a pattern they can't break away from, especially my boy Bredderman. He loves the neighborhood rivalry "stories."

Bay Ridge is Bay Ridge, Arab, Italian, hipster, old men on stoops, young kids on the corner, middle-aged families with strollers, no skyscrapers, a beautiful ring of parks, and some pretty great businesses, old and new. All of this other nonsense is just meant to sell papers.
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:29 am
Transplant from Here to Stay says:
Be careful, Ralph. Even-tempered, thoughtful and intelligent comments may disrupt the Brooklyn Paper's troll baiting business model.
Sept. 19, 2012, 11:07 am
Native from Williamsburg says:
Get ready for the predictable hordes of bearded skateboarding, electronics addicted [do these people ever put their phones away?], rude, self-absorbed kidults overrunning your streets. Then, they'll trash the place. Your private property will be covered in crappy street art and hipster graffiti, stickers, posters, flyers, etc. Next, you'll be stepping over mountains of illegally chained bikes piling up all over the place. I've seen first hand what they did to my neighborhood. Once they set in, you can never get rid of them. You'll have to get used to hearing the 'like yahs' under your window all day and into the wee hours of the night. Trust me. It will happen. This is what they do. They have zero respect for the natives.

Someone above mentioned no skyscrapers in Bay Ridge, well, kiss that goodbye too. We can't see they sky in Williamsburg anymore it's so over built --and getting worse. My heartfelt condolences to Bay Ridge.
Sept. 19, 2012, 11:07 am
sajh from brooklyn heights says:
Bay Ridge is already downzoned so there wont be any development and outside of the 4th/5th Ave areas, has a healthy housing stock of pretty impressive mansions, of which that mansion population will look to block any future development in the area. Some of these houses/mansions are among the most expensive in Brooklyn. For the STDs to spread to Bay Ridge you need a few things: A cheap housing stock. Space. Quick late night access to the village/williamsburg. So any further discussion of Bay Ridge changing anytime is fruitless b/c it's not going to happen. The cards are stacked against such happenings.
Sept. 19, 2012, 12:24 pm
mikey from Bay Ridge says:
Bay Ridge is already an established neighborhood: expensive one family homes, affluent, well educated population, plenty of dining and drinking options. it's not the sort of area that hipsters are typically drawn to. they go to area's waiting to be established, not areas that are already so well defined. Sunset Park is where they are already going. More of an undiscovered feel. Restaurants and bars are in the works to open up there that will better suit this demographic
Sept. 19, 2012, 12:32 pm
Isaac from The Bronx says:
Sweet baby Jesus I love the Bronx!
Sept. 19, 2012, 12:33 pm
raj from manhattan beach says:
transplant: Yes, statistics contain anomalies though just b/c you say you are doing something doesnt mean you can't change your mind further down the road. Why you need to mention you own your home, I have no idea. But that again falls under the category of you wanting to make yourself seem more important than you are.
And yes, if vacany rates were 10% or greater, owners will look to attract tenants. However if "$2000/month 1BR" in an industrial park folks swarm a particular area, it can of course make housing more expensive in those areas as well. But no matter the swarm, it is reliant on what the rest of the city charges.
Needless to say, I think the point is that hipsters and you (having identified yourself as one by default), have a crisis of identity. They generally need to be seen and feel like they are more important than they really are. They came from a nothing place to a city they subconciously think completes their ego issues. Pride patches such as saying you live in NY or Brooklyn. Or owning a home. But Bay Ridge, like Astoria are likely to survive this trend b/c transit is bad and there is no ego boosting "I live in..." to help the lackluster attention seeking wannabe's find inner resolve from.
Sept. 19, 2012, 12:45 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Oh are you poor SOBs in for a treat. I took my son to Ocean City, NJ this past weekend for the Air Show. The place - which is a haven for vacationing families, is showing signs of hipster infestation. First - there's a vinyl record store on the boardwalk.

Then there's the bobbing and weaving of cyclists trying to avoid these bearded Vienna sausages who stand around and take photos all day.

They are rude and disrespectful. Three of them were standing near us while three f-14s did a fly by. One of them honked, "what are they doing here? shouldn't they be killing innocent children"?

Then the were the critics who were shooting photos of the shops and amusements while constantly uttering "Oh like I gotta get that... it's sooooo lame".
Sept. 19, 2012, 1:09 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
Tommy Casatelli has a felony conviction so he is not allowed to have a liquor license. Guess he is trying to do an end run around the NY State Liquor Authority. Dime dropped. I'm sure they will enjoy this article as much as I did. Just a matter of time before this Judas gets shut down.
Sept. 19, 2012, 1:27 pm
HIPSTER from Bay Ridge says:
After living 4 years in the hood, I'm pretty sure there's no chance of this happening (also, hipsters don't really exist anymore, it's rich kids continuing the college party life out in the real world but dressed in hipster drag).
As the only (former) hipster resident I've ever seen here in 4 years (except at Tanoreen during its heyday), I would LOVE to have a bar with an actual atmosphere that doesn't get overrun with meatheads from Bensonhurst every saturday and sit empty every other night.
While we're at it, someone build a decent local grocery, please.
Sept. 19, 2012, 2:50 pm
Jaded from BR says:
WTF is IA?
Sept. 19, 2012, 3:01 pm
Matt C. from Bay Ridge says:
First off Tommy Casatelli is a nice guy and loves Bay Ridge. Beer Gardens do well wherever they are. It's a great business to start w or w/o hipsters. Ive seen hipsters basically takeover the Rockaway Beach boardwalk and I'll tell you what they helped turned that Boardwalk into something that is now worth talking about. You guys should all get a clue. Bay Ridge has been on a downward spiral for the past 10 years. Look at 5th ave. from 69th street to 75th street. I wish hipsters lived there.
Sept. 19, 2012, 3:50 pm
Matt from Bay Ridge says:
Tommy C. is a nice guy with a smart business plan. A beer Garden is a great idea w/ or w/o Hipsters. In regards to Hipsters..maybe they could help clean up 5th Ave. a little bit. Have any of you been to 5th Ave. Bt 69th and 75th lately? And you —— about Hipsters? People get a clue.
Sept. 19, 2012, 3:54 pm
John from Bay Ridge says:
This sounds fine to me. Bay Ridge is not going to become the next Williamsburg. Most of the housing stock is way to nice and the neighborhood is not right next to Manhattan. That said, some hipsters will come here. Hell, some are already here. The housing stock around 67th to 70th, between 3rd and 6th, will be the first area of influx of hipsters. There are some pretty cruddy apartment buildings there, with cheap rents. Also the hookah shops Middle Eastern resturants near the mosque on 5th provide just the right amount of "ghetto cred" to attract the hipsters. Little chance we'll see many living between 3rd and the water, unless they grow up, get married, get a job, etc.

I say welcome hipsters!
Sept. 19, 2012, 4:23 pm
Jim from Windsor terrace says:
you know, what Matt C says may be spot on. I got a friend living in Rockaway, his wife grew up there, he's a cop — and he says the hipsteres are annoying to have to hear and look at but have turned a broken down scetchy area into a surfable, family oriented beach and atmosphere where he can bring his young kids to enjoy the ocean.
Maybe less of a hard edge could help. As far as gentrification — that is killing Brooklyn. You have to blame politics and the mayor for that one. Granted these rich-kid midwesterners are contributing, and seemingly making out quite well, but nothing a good dose of violence can't quell.
Sept. 19, 2012, 4:26 pm
manhatposeur from brooklandia says:
It will be real interesting when some does or even attempts to build a glass tower condo in the middle of bayridge.

Its going to be hipster vrs guido!
Sept. 19, 2012, 4:40 pm
Ahab from Bay Rij says:
I was excited for a second. Then I read this comment thread and remembered that idiocy and bigotry are in the water supply south of 59th street.
Sept. 19, 2012, 4:51 pm
moonmagpie from Bay Ridge says:
Are we talking about a microbrewery opening in Bay Ridge? That sounds real good to me. Are you kidding being offended that hipsters will be in the mix??!! I think a business that stays open late is a great thing for the community... when people visit establishments at nite, there are less crimes committed so people feel safer and the best is that the streets buzz so you feel part of a community happening.. Those are all win win things to me.. so stopy being such nay nayers!
Sept. 19, 2012, 5:11 pm
diehipster from Still normal Brooklyn says:
Don't worry. I will have my soldiers at every stairwell exiting the R train from 59th to 95th with tire irons and rolling pins. Come on down Caleb, Quinn and Zachy!!!! - you're the next contestant on Get the *uck Outta Here!
Sept. 19, 2012, 5:32 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklny says:
Matt C. Hipsters didn't do squat for the Rockaways! I guess all those summers I spent at my Aunts bungalow next to Playland didn't happen? All those days hopping on the AA or C train and humping down to 108th street for a day at the beach with hundreds of thousands of others never happened? The boardwalk only started to exist once the hipsters arrived? You don't have any of the history of Rockaway. Perhaps you could opine about your youthful days of 7th place participation trophies in Ohio?
Sept. 19, 2012, 7:28 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklny says:
Oh, and Matt?
Tommy Casatelli is convicted felon. What a nice guy not paying 2 million and taxes so the rest of us can pick up his tab. I guess only a hipster would think it's OK to let someone else pay.
Sept. 19, 2012, 7:30 pm
Ridger from BR says:
@diehipster -- get a life Pops. You need to start realizing that everything is not just always about you.
Sept. 19, 2012, 7:56 pm
ex-bay ridger from ditmas park says:
i think it's okay that bay ridge will have a few less meatheads. maybe people will stop getting into fights over bar stools.
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:26 pm
Susan from Bay Ridge says:
Good lord, what a bunch of whiny drama queens.
Sept. 20, 2012, 1:12 am
Murse from Ames, IOWA says:
Silly diehipster! Taking the subway is soooo 1990s. We're riding down the sidewalks to Bay Ridge on our fixies!
We're all coming, too: Zack and Zoey, Quinn and Quaid, Cord and Caleb, Hayden and Holden, Megan and Molly, Noah and Nathan, --and don't forget Josh, Parker, Chase, Harrison, Ethan, Ramen, and Hummus! Thousands of us! We're going to love our new nabe!
LIKE YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Sept. 20, 2012, 2:17 am
diehipster from Still normal Brooklyn says:
Im 100% sure every person whose neighborhood says "bay ridge" on here is actually a nasally hip or yup from park slope or Bushpointburg.
Sept. 20, 2012, 9:29 am
JAZ from Occupied NY says:
@ SwampYankee - I don't know what you are talking about with the 'AA'; Megan, the Greenpoint based freelance graphic designer & rooftop beekeeper has been here since 2004 and she told me she has never heard of the AA, so you must be making it up. Quinn moved here from Ohio in 2008 to take photographs of subway station graffiti; if anyone is a subway expert, it would be him, and even he hasn't heard of the AA. Someone once mentioned an LL train to him, but he just smugly sneered at the stupid senile local for making —— up.
Sept. 20, 2012, 9:40 am
Matt C. from Bay Ridge says:
Hey SwampYankee - first off im not a hipster and second off i grew up in rockaway you idiot. The 96th street boardwalk area has been awful for the past 20 years (ever since playland was torn down) I wouldnt even buy a soda from those concession stands let alone food until about 3 years ago. Did the hipsters help revitalize the boardwalk in Rockaway - 100%. Did they discover Rockaway..no. Its been a great place for years however its been the red headed step child of NYC.
Sept. 20, 2012, 9:55 am
Amy S. from Washington State says:
I'm so completely confused and shocked by the degree of anger and violence expressed in the comments to this article. In any of the many places outside NYC that I've lived (none in the midwest, incidentally), these kinds of sentiments would be considered crude and discriminatory. That they're not here doesn't reflect well on New York. Even if someone can't legally deny me an apartment based on my ethnicity, age, and beer preferences, it sounds as though the neighbors will make my life unlivable if I try to live (or work, or play) somewhere outside my assigned social status. Listen to yourselves!
Sept. 20, 2012, 11:23 am
mikey from williamsburg says:
first off, no real hipsters are moving to that neighborhood, so relax. it's not near anything they are interested in, williamsburg, bushwick or downtown. if some people move there it's because it's affordable but best believe they would rather be somewhere else.

second of all, the neighborhood will benefit from this, you guys get a new place to go out to (god forbid). you might get to try some new types of beer (god forbid) and meet people outside of your social group (hipster or not). it's nice to get new establishments in ones neighborhood. i live in williamsburg so i know this first hand. i have more choices now than 10 years ago.

in so far as people being priced out, who the f do you think is pricing people out? THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN HERE FOREVER! they own the buildings and set the prices. not the new people that move in. so if you take issue with rising rents take issue with the people who have lived in the hood for ages and are ready to cash out.
Sept. 20, 2012, 11:34 am
AMEN from Bensonhurst says:
Susan from Bay Ridge says:
Good lord, what a bunch of whiny drama queens.

Susan, you are awesome!
Sept. 20, 2012, 1:10 pm
MIke from OWS says:
Matt C. from Bay Ridge: Would you make comments about "nappy haired" orphans? Of course not. So keep your prejudiced comments about red-headed ethnics to yourself.
Sept. 20, 2012, 3:26 pm
Malembi from BK says:
Red-eaded guys are ——ing ——s
Sept. 20, 2012, 4:22 pm
Al JaDe from Non-hipster Bkln says:
Amy S. from Washington state:

Are you really "from" Washington state? If so, then you make me ashamed to be from there as well because it's people like you who make all non-native people in NYC look bad.

You know why New Yorkers hate hipsters? For that matter, you know why most people who are natives of big cities in this country hate hipsters? It's because you people come in, completely disrespect and look down upon the local culture and then gentrify the the place so it can be properly "cultured," as you put it, while all the working people are pushed out because housing prices shoot through the roof. When it gets too expensive, you pick the next "undiscovered" neighborhood to colonize like mold on your organic, artisanal bread from Whole Foods.
Sept. 20, 2012, 4:23 pm
John from Walker says:
Has anyone on this forum walked down 86th street in the last 5 years? The demographics in Beirut have changed and will continue to change. I don't mind some hipster transplant with his tight jeans invading the area to spend his trust fund. Is that really the concern? Are these hipsters going to chase anyone down 4th Avenue with a 2X4 or are carjackings and home invasions expected to rise? I dislike hispter's as much as the next guy but they are the least of this community's problems. The only valid issue I've seen in this thread is regarding the neighbors be subjecting to noise at 4-5 in the morning. Other than that what's the issue......taking your parking spaces?
Sept. 20, 2012, 6:24 pm
Uncle Joe Dunney from Shore Hill says:
Better Dead than Red!!! I'll be damned if my beloved Bay Ridge is going to be over-run by Communists and Beatniks! If you have ever purchased groceries from Milk Farm at 92nd & Marine meet at Hamilton House post haste so we can discuss how to save Bay Ridge.
Sept. 20, 2012, 8:16 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
if the chicks put out i'm cool
Sept. 20, 2012, 9:26 pm
Homey from Crooklyn says:
If hipsters didn't exist than who would we laugh at?
Sept. 21, 2012, 9:01 am
K. from ArKady says:
Hey Bay Ridge; who knew all those tax breaks for the wealthy would create an army of foppish landed gentry? It's unprecedented in the history of man! Keep voting for that supply side economics; something's gotta trickle down...
Sept. 21, 2012, 10:17 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
jaz - wow you are really showing how much of a ny'r you are re your comment to swamp.

back in the 70s local trains had double initials re rr, aa, cc bb etc while express trains had a single initial re a, b, c though the r was always a local though so your resarch means nada.lol another snotty kid from cup of coffe, ohio who we locals overcharge with glee. mazel tov shmeckela.
Sept. 23, 2012, 8:51 am
BobbyG from Said Uptown..say downtown says:
yawn..hipster trend is dying slowly...people are getting tired of the whole 'look' and 'maintstreen' quality..it's becoming a joke and no one cares about your mustache or that you wear glasses etc etc....as for 'taking over the neigborhoods' and 'hipsters are here to stay', we think not, your just delusional......next 'trend' is on its way in....
Sept. 23, 2012, 11:33 am
RoboBear from BK says:
Isn't it funny how all the classy sophisticated open-minded tolerant liberal joo-yorkers always preach about diversity and multiculturalism when it comes to defending the rights of "youth" criminals and welcoming parasitic non-white immigrants, but when it comes to working white professionals from the midwest all the sudden its ok to discriminate again..
Sept. 23, 2012, 2:52 pm
Paul Abruzzo from Bensonhurst` says:
Wait until the whiny hipster realize that the "meatheads" in the neighborhood will be happy to have someone new to beat on! And unlike the whiny beta males, the local meatheads eat their meat.
Sept. 23, 2012, 3:20 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
RoboBear from BK
"working white professionals from the Midwest". Is that the politically correct way of saying barista, cupcake blogger, unpaid cycling lane activist intern, artisinal mayonnaise maker or "creative"? Professional rent raiser is more like it. Go back to Ohio.
Sept. 23, 2012, 7:15 pm
Harry Swartz from Brooklyn says:
Wow!! We can get a break from Marty Goldens relatives breaking bottles over people's heads.
Sept. 23, 2012, 9:28 pm
Harry Swartz from Brooklyn says:
ow, we can get a break from Marty Golden's relatives breaking bottles over peoples heads.
Sept. 23, 2012, 9:29 pm
Ray Kinsella from Iowa says:
if you build it, the will come
Sept. 24, 2012, 1:07 am
MER from BK says:
Hilarious-- especially if you switch out the word "hipster" and replace it with "bedbug."

"first off, no real bedbugs are moving to that neighborhood, so relax. it's not near anything they are interested in, williamsburg, bushwick or downtown. if some people move there it's because it's affordable but best believe they would rather be somewhere else."
Sept. 25, 2012, 11:51 pm
Lindsey from Bay Ridge says:
Love the idea of the beer garden -- but I'm not sure where the idea of the hipster came in. I still see tons of guidos and their chubby guidette counterparts walking around. Hipsters will populate Sunset Park before they make it to Bay Ridge -- this place is way too clean and safe for hipsters to call home.
Sept. 28, 2012, 4:31 pm
Tony speaking for Harry from Yellow Hook says:
There are great drinking bars in Bay Ridge, my fav Longbows, Bean Post, Salty Dog, Yellow Hook, but there are no beer gardens that serve craft beers. I think this is a great idea for all neighborhood craft beer lovers. We no longer have to leave the hood to drink good brews outdoors till the wee hours. That they fill growlers is a plus. If only I can bring my canine buddy I would be a regular fixture at Lockyard. Much success.
Oct. 3, 2012, 8:55 pm
Mike from GRAVESEND says:
Kettle Black is a dump. I went there a handful of times. Place sucked. Drunks all over. Jerkoffs who think they can rule the world. Girls there r trashy and god awful ugly. If you don't like a beer garden go somewhere else. It's time to push out the white trash in Bayridge. Hipsters? Give me a break! Has anyone noticed that Bayridge is slowly turning into Beirut and Afghanistan in the last 20 years?
March 28, 2013, 5:52 pm
stevo Brooklyn says:
Crappy location keep if on third near all the other bars always go bar hopping on third,never get to92 nd and fifth bad bad bad location
April 27, 2013, 7:31 pm
Sil from Bay Ridge says:
Lived in bay ridge for more then 26 years. We where priced out of living there, rents are out of control and the land lords don't want kids they want top $ for apts that haven't been updated. They want to rent 2 or 3 bedrooms to working couples they don't want kids, they want top $ but don't want you there. It's no longer family friendly as far as renting goes and no longer a blue collar neighborhood.
June 30, 2013, 3:59 pm
Bill Gabriel from Bay Ridge says:
I'd like to know which bars these whining nancy boys like and hang out in, so I can avoid these knuckle heads.
Sept. 16, 2013, 8:15 pm