Bay Ridge Neighbors Claim Prostitution at Blue Ocean Beauty Spa

Neighbors attacking ‘naughty’ spa

A Bay Ridge massage parlor is rubbing neighbors — and its clients — the wrong way, say angry Ridgites who claim the business is actually a house of ill repute.

Residents living on Bay Ridge Avenue between Narrows Avenue and Owls Head Court claim that the masseuses at Blue Ocean Spa practice the dark arts of massage — claiming that the facility’s clouded windows, late hours, and all-male clientele is all the proof they need.

“It’s odd for a spa,” said neighbor Victor Pachwo, who says he watches people coming in and out of Blue Ocean from his window late at night. “It’s all men and no women. Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around?”

This paper saw several men entering and leaving the spa when we visited the area last week, yet Blue Ocean workers vehemently denied that anything sexual was going on.

“It’s all lies,” said spa manager Nicole Ree. “We just do massage and acupuncture, nothing sexual.”

Pachwo said the spot is usually open until 11 pm, and that the spa’s frosted glass storefronts aroused his suspicion shortly after he moved into the area three years ago.

But he’s not alone in his assessment: several other residents in his condo building brought up similar concerns at one of their board meetings, he claimed, although they were unsure what to do about it.

But Pachwo has a simple solution: close the business down.

“I don’t think it’s a positive presence on this block,” Pachwo. “I’d really rather it wasn’t here. We have a lot of kids around here.”

His neighbors agreed, claiming that once they saw the spa’s facade, they knew the place was up to no good.

“As a retired police officer, I knew right away what’s going on there. Experience has taught me,” said Daniel Levins, a former Miami cop. “Their clients come down the street, looking this way and that way like they’re trying to find something, acting all innocent, then — bam! — they’re inside.”

The ex-cop also claimed that the girls who work at Blue Ocean are living inside the spa, since he never sees any employees entering or leaving the building.

“At night, they bring the shutters down, and no one comes out,” Levins said. “I’m up at 5, I come out, I have my coffee, the shutters go up, and they open the door. And no one goes in or out.”

Levin said it’s extremely difficult to close a prostitution parlor, so instead of reporting his concerns to the 68th Precinct, he’s been complaining to Blue Ocean’s landlady Alexandra Lazides.

“Shame on her,” Levins said. “I have a hard time believing she doesn’t know what’s going on here.”

Community Board 10 District Manager Josephine Beckmann confirmed that she’d received complaints about the parlor before, and had passed them along to the police. The 68th Precinct did not respond to calls for comment.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at (718) 260–4507 or e-mail him at wbredderman@cnglocal.com. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/WillBredderman

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Bay Ridger from Bay Ridge says:
Again, old folks with too much time on their hands. Staring at a store front all day - yeah, that's productive use of time.

They should volunteer and feed older folks in a nursing home or help rescue pets.

Hand jobs make Bay Ridge a happier place.
Sept. 26, 2012, 9:16 am
Bob from Bay Ridge says:
Wow, seediness in Bay Ridge! Whoddathunk?

But if the workers are living inside, that allegation really has to be checked out immediately. Sex slavery is ugly and real, and really can't be allowed at all. Need to find out how they got there, with whom, etc. This is real and goes on, but has to be stopped (if it's going on.)
Sept. 26, 2012, 10:32 am
Chu Mi Slo Lee from Bay Ridge says:
I walked by that place the other day and a woman was standing in front on crutches, she asked me for $20, I replied for what?.. she said " Till I get back on my back"

All kidding aside, I think it is fairly obvious what is going on there...
Sept. 26, 2012, 11:27 am
John from Bay Ridge says:
Hmm, could the owners of this place have protection from a few local officers on "the pad".
Sept. 26, 2012, 11:51 am
John from from the Ridge says:
I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty confident you can't just close a business on the presumption of illegal activity.The NYPD has a vice squad that can target this businesses. This ex-cop should be working with the 68th not lynching the business in the Brooklyn Paper. Miami cops are fruitcakes anyway. If sex/human trafficking is occuring at this business then it needs to get shut down by police and investigated......not shut down by a landlord to have this atrocious crime move to another neighborhood. Shame on this fruity ex-cop.
Sept. 26, 2012, 2:04 pm
Ahab from Bay Rij says:
If you want cigarettes and guns brought up from Virginia then run to the 68th precinct. Otherwise, you're out of luck.
Sept. 26, 2012, 4:14 pm
Jay from Bay Ridge says:
Wait so the "flip" is illegal? Who knew?!
Sept. 26, 2012, 4:50 pm
K. from ArKady says:
Sounds like Willy Wonkas factory. As shown here, no one goes in or out.

Sept. 26, 2012, 6:44 pm
Rufus Leaking from Around says:
Racist lynch mob. No evidence, but they look look guilty to Daniel.

Why did a former Miami cop retire here? He sounds like he tried to shake them down and was sent packing!

He looks guilty to me.
Sept. 26, 2012, 7:07 pm
Rufus Leaking from Around says:
Racist lynch mob. No evidence, but they look look guilty to Daniel.

He looks guilty to me.
Sept. 26, 2012, 7:07 pm
Burt Wayne from Shore Road says:
Everybody is jumping to conclusions. There is no proof. Those idiots making such claims should be sued.

Back in the day, above Tony's bicycle shop, that was a notorious brothel.
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:26 pm
Steve from 4th Ave BR says:
I can't believe the Brooklyn Paper put this business on their front page because they suspect it's a place of ill-refute. How about I take a video of your house, post it on youtube, and say your selling drugs because I see you out at all hours of the night. An ex-cop is a citizen and this behavior type of accusation shouldn't be published.
Sept. 26, 2012, 11:05 pm
Frank from Fort Hamilton says:
Sounds like some of the regulars are worried about their favorite "massage" spot getting closed down. What kind of "massage" place only has male customer?
Sept. 27, 2012, 12:31 am
Rufus Leaking from Around says:
Is this an ad for the place?

31 Bay Ridge Avenue?

Phone # 718 630 1198

Open Late?

What do those "a lot of kids" see when the look at a "frosted glass storefronts", a door, a sign, and a window? It looks a lot like the rest of the block.

What happened when Will went in to investigate?
Sept. 27, 2012, 8:40 am
JP from Bay Ridge says:
just go google search BRIGHT OCEAN SPA BAY RIDGE, and there's ads on backpage.com with bikini girls, "VIP RELAXATION", "stunning beautiful girls", "Exotic Massage" ...
Sept. 27, 2012, 10:05 am
June from Bay Ridge says:
more like a place for human trafficking in Bay Ridge
Sept. 27, 2012, 10:08 am
Or from Yellow Hook says:
Is the place licensed?

Are the employees licensed?

Do they have green cards in Mayor for Life Mike's Sanctuary City?
Sept. 27, 2012, 10:50 am
Human Trafficker from China says:
Sept. 27, 2012, 10:54 am
ridger from BR says:
Whatever. That store front still looks a lot better than all those filthy and tacky 99 cent stores in Bay Ridge.
Sept. 27, 2012, 2:14 pm
Wang Fu from Chinatown says:
This no bad place - we love you long time.

Give you happiness massage, hot like chicken flied lice!

Ne hao!
Sept. 29, 2012, 9 am
Bill from Bay Ridge says:
Hey, Human Trafficker, nice fake ad you posted there! Didn't you notice it will publish who and when the ad was placed? Or is this your idea of being funny? What a moron!
Sept. 29, 2012, 10:03 am
Bill's a moron from I can read dates says:
It was posted a full friggin day before he posted, genius. Just Google this place. Here's another one.
Sept. 29, 2012, 1:19 pm
B. Mary from Queens says:
This is their online ad- http://newyork.backpage.com/BodyRubs/new-exotic-massage-lovelyasian-girls-right-here-bright-spa-23/31249071
Oct. 5, 2012, 7:33 pm
B. Mary from Queens says:
Oct. 5, 2012, 7:33 pm
Mary from Queens says:
The ads are easy to find, google "bright ocean spa Bay ridge" Some ads have pictures of the girls (some looking like teenagers), contain the Bright Ocean Spa Logo and graphic with the phone number- same one on the sign in the picture here. Not fake ads. Human trafficking exists right under your nose in your own neighborhood.
Oct. 7, 2012, 2:43 pm
Tom from Bay Ridge says:
I've frequented massage parlors and the whole sex trafficking thing is a myth 99% of the time. Most of the women who work at these spots are decent human beings who happen to be immigrants with lousy employment opportunities. They come and go as they please, have apartments, bills, families, etc. They usually come to America because nobody wants to work 80 hours a week in China for pennies assembling your latest tech gadget. Give them a break. No one is getting hurt.
Oct. 10, 2012, 12:47 pm
hh88 from Bayridge says:
You uptight fascist conspiracy freaks - first you have no proof that anything bad is happening here. Open late hours? That's your proof? So by that standard Pathmark open 24 hours is a house of ill repute too? And my barber shop services primarily men - no sex going on here though.
And Victor Pachwo - you are spying on people late at night as they come and go? Who is the pervert here?

Been to any of the massage spas on 8th ave in sunset park Chinatown? I can tell you for sure they are 100% legitimate. They are open 10 AM till midnight. Mostly men as clients. So are you going to close these places down based on their clientele and hours?

And assuming happy endings are happening here - which again - you have not proven yet - what is so terrible? What crimes are being brought to the neighborhood by these places? Makes me feel safer when I am walking home late at night and there is still a storefront with lights on and people around.

Hey June - you know for sure this is a place of human trafficking? Maybe you have insider information. Are you the one responsible for the trafficking? Sounds like you are if you know that much. Maybe we should post a picture of your home in the newspaper.

I agree w Tom from Bayridge - most of these places are not trafficking in human beings - they are working willingly.

Hey Mary from Queens - stay in Queens please. You really think the pictures on the ads are teenage girls that work there?? I suppose you date online and believe that all the members of online dating services are the supermodels and millionaires they portray themselves as. Seen any ads lately for massage parlors in Queens? Lots more there than in Brooklyn. So don't talk about what's happening under my nose you hypocrite.

Hey John from Bay Ridge - casting aspersions on the cops now on top of making unproven allegations against this place? Are you still beating your wife? What? I have no proof? Oh wait - I guess it's wrong to accuse people without proof. But I guess you wouldn't understand that concept.

Burt Wayne - you are correct - they should be sued for slander. Or is it liable?

Bunch of self righteous vigilantes - if you suspect criminal activity - let the law handle it.

Prohibitionists - get your drums and signs ready - we march on the place tonight!!! Oh wait - wrong era - that was alcohol :-) But then again - a few alleged happy endings are much worse than alcoholics - right?
Oct. 11, 2012, 1:50 am
hh88 from Bayridge says:
Oh BTW - all this publicity for the place - will it keep people away? Or is it really good free advertising? Bet business picks up here. The only thing worse than bad press is having no press - or something like that :-)
Oct. 11, 2012, 1:54 am
Edward from Bay Ridge says:
I feel like the people should really mind their own business. I've lived in Bay Ridge since I was a little kid, for about 20 years.

And all I can say is that this neighborhood is going downhill. This establishment isn't the reason; it's more of who lives in this neighborhood.

Instead of trying to bring down an establishment, you should really look into why there's been child kidnappings, SCAMS IN THE RAGAMUFFIN STREET FAIR, kids dealing drugs, and much others which damage this community.

Honestly, I think these "neighbors" are really just people looking for trouble. I personally would love to accuse them of ill-mannered behavior to get them detained; let's see how they like that.

Unless they have some solid proof that they offer services other than a sensual massage; I don't see any issues.
Oct. 11, 2012, 8:52 pm
RAJ from Bay Ridge says:
Evidence:

Only male clients
Men of all ages...why a 20 year old needs a massage is beyond me...do the math
Open till 11PM
Frosted windows
Once one client leaves then another enters...multiple clients don't seem to be allowed at the same time
The online ads clearly point to more than a massage parlor

You have to be blind or a client of the place not to see it for what it is

Why it does not belong in the neighbourhood:

It is a family oriented neighbourhood
Clients of this place pose a threat to the people in the neighbourhood as they could be predators, drunk or high
Some of the clients look harmless enough but others are not so harmless looking
One of the women who work there was standing outside smoking the other day and her dress and appearance confirms and adds to the evidence that this is a brothel
This establishment will reduce property prices of the surrounding buildings

This establishment will reduce property prices of the surrounding buildings
Human trafficking could be going on here
Prostitution is illegal
Etc Etc
Oct. 16, 2012, 1:01 pm
hh88 from brooklyn says:
So raj - you know only male clients of all ages go there? 20 year olds aren't allowed to get a massage? Is that a new law? Are you spying on the place too? Who is creepier, the clients or the spy? The clients are drunk or high or predators? Once again - vigilantes unite!! I don't need no stinking evidence - I am Mr Vigilante!! Dressing provocatively means someone is a prostitute? Wow - lots of prostitutes on the subway and in high schools, gyms .......
etc etc
Nov. 5, 2012, 11:02 am
Ekim from Astoria says:
As for the frosted windows comments, after a long stressful week of work sometimes you just want a deep tissue massage without the distraction of sunlight. What's so wrong with that?
Nov. 17, 2012, 10:24 am
justmovedin from bay ridge says:
What kind of solid proof are we talking about here?
Dec. 3, 2012, 9:43 pm
pan from brooklyn says:
i hope for are new year such a place schould close close down, its a schame in such nice neighborhood massage with happy ending schould be able to go on, where is our mayer bloomenberg he is only good for giving tickets, but their is so manny massage ending going on in our whole neighborhood not only in bayridge, sorry for my opinion but it is a fact that i know for shure what is going on their
Dec. 31, 2012, 10:32 pm
Dude from Bay Ridge says:
@pan try learning some ——ing grammar before posting on a message board. As for everyone else get the —— over yourselves. This is a massage parlor not a hooker den. You ——ing prudes.
March 19, 2013, 10:02 am
shlomo from ridge says:
You need multiple arrests to close a place down under the nuisance abatement law in NY. There hasnt even been one arrest. These people are lunatics. For an arrest you need an offer of a sex act for a dollar amount and there is not a single one.
April 7, 2013, 6:23 pm
XB from Bay Ridge says:
I've frequented this den of iniquity a number of times, although admittedly not in the last 6 months or so. It's one of the best ones in Bay Ridge or greater Bensonhurst. So I'm happy to fill in all the fear-mongerers of what goes on. Everyone is certainly welcome to complain that prostitution is against the law and the law needs to be enforced, but to assert that a massage parlor that offers happy endings is akin to human trafficking or pedophilia is nonsense. You can't close a place down with oratory, please point out specific, major crimes. I imagine you'd have to close quite a few Bay Ridge businesses if you're going to hold them to the strict letter of the law. I'm sure plenty of restaurants and retail stores are cutting corners, and if we're targeting minor crimes now, the police are going to be very busy.

It's very clean inside, better than many legitimate spas I've been to, the masseuses are pleasant, and the prices are reasonable. You can even go in and get a regular massage if you like, even if you're a woman. I haven't seen a female client at this particular location before, but I have at other locations in the area. I wouldn't go to this spa just for a massage, but mostly because they're too expensive. There are a number of legitimate spas on 5th avenue that are half the prices and provide a better massage. If you're concerned about lying on a table where someone may have gotten frisky before, I guess you'll never be able to go to a hotel again. What do you think couples do in hotel beds?

I can assure you there is no human trafficking going on here. How? Simple, I talk to them instead of spying through binoculars. They are mostly immigrants, and do tend to move between establishments as economic opportunity encourages them too. I won't spin this into a hollywood fabrication that there's some brilliant artist moonlighting as a masseuse; I've never met anyone interesting there who I would hang out with otherwise. Simply plain, nice people. They come and go as they please, many have worked for many years. You might be able to make a case that they are economic victims, but really, in 21st century America, about half of us are economic slaves. Can you afford to quit your job? Can you afford to not work? Then your predicament is fundamentally no different than theirs. You are free to change jobs, if you can find one, and these masseuses come and go as they find different jobs that fit their skill set. They are probably making more money than Americans without a college degree who couldn't find a union job. I suspect they're dodging their taxes, but hey, I just did my taxes honestly and paid 8% of my gross income for 2012 combined city-state-federal, so who's kidding who here?

if you're concerned about human trafficking, you'll have to do slightly more research than clicking on public ads on craigslist and backpage. Anyone who has gone to the trouble to phony up documents and bring young women halfway across the world is not about to jeopardize their investment with a bright awning storefront and bold internet ad. Those places do not advertise. I'd be happy to direct you to establishments on 72nd Street and 68th Street that I'm aware of, yes right in your backyard. Although both of those locations seem to be populated entirely by Americans. I haven't seen an Asian woman at either, and everyone I've spoken to brings a lovely Brooklyn accent with them, so they haven't been trafficked very far. And none of them have seen the guilty side of 18 in at least a decade, many even longer than that. At any of these locations it is extremely rare to see a massuese younger than 30. And frankly, when you do, you're getting a terrible massage. As with any other profession, thirty-somethings are better at their craft than 20-somethings.

As far as the provocative dress, I've never seen that here or in any other establishment, so I'm not sure about that complaint. I'm not the best judge of fashion, but jeans and a nice shirt are the norm, sometimes a summer dress. I'd equate it to what the hairdressers along third avenue tend to wear, they're not dressed like lawyers, but hardly dressed for a night of clubbing either. You'll see much more provocative dress at any bar along third avenue than you would here. And the clothes almost always stay on. I'll admit to "almost" although at this location I've never seen a masseuse undress, but at other locations they occassionally will take off a top. But at the "frosted window" spas in the area there is virtually zero "full service." Perhaps some clients have developed relationships over time where that does happen, but I'd have to say, if I went to the same hairdresser a dozen times, I'd think I'd have about the same chance of scoring with her as I would a masseuse.

It's really not in the interest of these advertising spas to offer anything more than a happy ending. Word would spread like wildfire and they'd get caught. But a happy ending is pretty hard for police to actually catch. There isn't a lot going on that varies from what you get in a massage. And at the predominantly Chinese locations, an interesting cultural question is raised: Having been to China, that's what you often get in a massage. They have a clear line for full-on prostitution, but a happy ending is not over the line. So for an immigrant, this is not an outrageous leap

For those of you concerned that it is somehow undermining Bay Ridge, you should check your map, there are at least 20 such establishments within the highway loop. So if you have any faith in the American model of supply will meet demand, Bay Ridge is certainly supplying sufficient customers for these establishments. If it were but a single establishment, you might be able to make the case that it was threatening the neighborhood, but in this case the number speaks to the true spirit of the neighborhood. It's not as if there's a lot of thriving business along Bay Ridge Ave these days, a lot of those storefronts look pretty depressing. If you just want another empty storefront, that's what you'd get. And you could get a bar, or a biker club, or a skater hangout, or one of many business that tends to "leak" outside, which will affect your children far more than a spa who wishes to keep its customers inside, and who's customers have very little interest in standing around outside.

This establishment has been around for a few years now. Is there a record of its clients harrassing residents? Has a single crime been committed, or even alleged, by a client outside the premises? I would think by now, if it were a true detriment to the neighborhood, someone would have done something noteworthy. It would seem instead that some citizens are stretching the broken window theory quite far. Remember, the broken window theory speaks more to abandoned and unkempt blocks than to "seedy" establishments. There are many more bars in the City now, as the Mayor likes to advertise when defending his no-smoking regulations. Crime statistics are readily available, a concerned citizen need only count the number of crimes in the area and correlate that with the number of suspect spas that have opened, that's fairly easy to demonstrate if in fact true. Has anyone done that? I'd be interested to see the data. (But I say this in jest, because I find it extremely unlikely that there is any crime whatsoever associated with any of these spas).
Now I admit, I frequent this location because it is a healthy number of avenue blocks from my residence. There are actually three locations within 2 street blocks of me that I avoid, because I can admit to some hypocrisy. I have no moral objection to such businesses, but don't really want all my neighbors watching me go in and out. (I am perfectly happy to discuss my behavior with friends, but not the nebulous world of neighbors, who in this city will turn on you in a heartbeat). But I don't mind the locations near me, I have never observed the slightest un-neighborly act from them. Meanwhile, a low-rent apartment, cheap restaurant, and a bar generate plenty of irritating street people who cause a great deal of physical and psychological damage to the block.

Lets imagine you are successful in closing it down. I suppose you'll get peace of mind, the landlord will lose a tenant, and you'll get an empty storefront. (For those of you with binoculars, count the number of clients, each trip is about $100, the business has virtually no costs, so that's the revenue you'd have to replace to make it worthwhile for another business to open) But no damage will be caused to the industry. The masseuses move around a lot, they'll find a location, and the owner will gladly reopen elsewhere, Bay Ridge isn't exactly sparkling with new stores these days, some other landlord will take their rent.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have. Feel free to use this information as you wish, although I'm pretty sure it's going to fail rules of evidence requirements if you think you're going to use it against the spa.
April 17, 2013, 5:27 am
Raj from Bay ridge says:
Thanks for confirming that money is exchanged for services of a sexual nature at that place. That will help the cause...
April 23, 2013, 11:16 am
hh88 from Bay Ridge says:
So query me this. These houses of so called ill repute will give you a regular massage, then allegedly a happy ending - read that as hand gratification only. No oral sex. No intercourse. (of course this is my knowledge thru hearsay and of course I have no firsthand experience in these matters). And this is considered illegal. And now our nice pandering politicians are raiding these places.

Yet you can go to a gentleman's club in midtown, or Queens, or along route 35 in Jersey (among other locations); and here you pay a completely naked girl to sit on your lap and grind her naked genitalia into yours. (Again - I naturally have no firsthand experience in these matters). And yet this is legal. Where is the justice in this? What power that be decided that hand gratification is illegal and dry grinding is not?

You uptight puritanical types are great at making all sorts of accusations about the parlors making your neighborhood unsafe. But here's my challenge to you - SHOW ME THE PROOF! Show me police records and statistics that show these places have more crime, or create more crime than other types of businesses in the area. I'm pretty confident there are more crime incidents in 24 hour delis than in these places. To say nothing of the neighborhood bars - I have nothing against any of these establishments. Just pointing out the inconsistency of the claims of crime being generated by the spas.

I even saw on the news where one local citizen said he's seen men coming and going from these places at 2 AM. Strange - I live in the neighborhood and when I am out at that time of night, these places have the gates down and padlocked. I wonder how they are getting in and out? I'm not saying you are lying - but are you really sure that's what you saw and at that hour - or are you just jumping on the bandwagon? Proof folks, is what I want. To paraphrase Joe Friday "Show me the facts, just the facts ma'am"

Oh - XB - thanks for your comments. I agree with you totally. And I'd like to point out one more thing in regards to human trafficking - these spas are not offering up underage teens who are being forced to work there. For the most part the providers are in the 40's. I suppose you can make an argument that they were victims of trafficking at a young age and now they are trapped in the spas. I think that is really stretching kind of thin - but I will grant you that maybe maybe maybe that is a possibility. But once again - there is no full service sex happening here. These are older ladies who have found a way to provide a living for themselves. And they do not seem to be under any pressure or distress. Again folks - no firsthand experience - just hearsay :-)
July 13, 2013, 12:53 am
Raj says:
There was enough evidence to shut the place
Jan. 14, 3:10 pm