Plan cuts Prospect Park car lane, makes more room bikes and peds

A revolutionary roadway redesign will bring transportation equality to Prospect Park’s main street by removing a lane of car traffic and giving the space to pedestrians and cyclists, park officials say.

The street revamp will provide roughly the same amount of asphalt to all modes of transit by repurposing the road’s center lane — which is used by motorists during rush hour — and dedicating it entirely to cyclists, under a proposal unveiled by a panel of city officials on Tuesday.

Cars would keep the right lane while pedestrians would gain full use of the left lane, which is currently split between cyclists and walkers during the hours that automobiles are allowed in the park.

“We think it’s an opportunity to improve safety,” said Prospect Park administrator Emily Lloyd, who is president of the Prospect Park Alliance and heads the panel of parks and transportation officials, cycling advocates and cops that hatched the plan. “It’s one lane for each group — all the time.”

The egalitarian new roadway revamp, which could hit the street as soon as late spring, comes after several serious crashes — some of them nearly fatal — between cyclists and walkers on the tree-flanked street. It also comes after park critics called the road’s current markings confusing and pushed for an all-out elimination of automotive traffic in the greensward.

The design, crafted by the Prospect Park Road Sharing Taskforce, dedicates 10 feet of roadway to cars, 10 feet to cyclists, and 14 feet of roadway to pedestrians and child cyclists who aren’t comfortable riding on the grown-up lane.

Bikers and runners cheered the plan — which closely resembles a 2008 proposal by bicycle advocates — at a public meeting at the park’s picnic house, saying it will save lives and bring order to the sometimes chaotic path.

But they also used the forum as an opportunity to ask for a total ban on cars in the park.

“This is a major step in the right direction,” said longtime cycling supporter Eric McClure. “However, I don’t think it quite goes far enough.”

McClure called for a trial period in which the city closes the park to cars during summer months — an idea echoed by other park-goers who praised the plan, but eventually want a roadway with no automobiles.

“Think about how many streets we have in New York and how few places like Prospect Park there are,” said Joanna Oltman Smith. “This is a national treasure [and] I’m horrified about the way cars speed on the drive.”

Motorists, however, claim the proposal and the mentality of cycling advocates makes them feel persecuted.

“It’s another plan that demonizes drivers,” said Marc Russo, a driver from Park Slope. “Not everybody lives [the cyclist] lifestyle.”

He said motorists have already given up plenty of street space to make way for bike lanes, as was the case on the controversial bike path on Prospect Park West.

Thanks to the plan, the city says drivers who enter the park on weekdays from 7 am to 9 am and 5 pm to 7 pm should expect their jaunts to take about seven seconds longer.

That delay sparked fear among some neighbors, who worry that the 700 autos that use the park each hour in the morning would flood streets in surrounding neighborhoods.

“I’m concerned we’re gonna have traffic backing up,” said Windsor Terrace resident Joan Botti.

Lloyd said the plan also calls for increased enforcement, outreach and better signage on the street, and said the panel would meet to discuss feedback from the hearing — and potentially make tweaks.

Scott from Park Slope says:
Mark Russo is afraid of being "demonized." Well, buddy, how many pedestrians, children, and cyclists have killed drivers? Answer: none. They don't have the mass or physics behind them to cause the damage you, as a driver, can.

You can drive anywhere else under the blessed sun in the Tri-state area, without restriction, and you want to cry and cry about a total ban of cars in Prospect Park? Sorry, Kimosabe, you have had 100 years of total mayhem, havoc, and manslaughter without consequences, made especially aggravated by the fact that you live in a city with the best public transportation in the country, and now you want to plead that your right to speed from point A to point B has been inhibited.

There is no place for cars in Prospect Park, period. None. There is no time or distance savings involved in taking the park loop road vs. peripheral roads. The distance and time are the same. The only difference is that the 700 jerks who take the park road endanger children and everyone else with their selfish BS, instead of taking the peripheral roads which provide the same travel times and miles travelled without the attendant danger to others.

It may be time for a little communal self-policing. Let's photograph the license plate numbers of those who speed through the park, identify where they live, and shame them in front of their neighbors in proportion to the danger they pose to other peoples' children. If their neighbors were made aware of the selfish scumbags they live next to, perhaps their behavior might be curbed.
Feb. 29, 2012, 2:46 pm
Sara K. from Park Slope says:
Finally! I would like to see cars totally band from the park but this is a good start!
Feb. 29, 2012, 3 pm
Rob says:
Viva la peloton!!! Sorry cars, it's our park now.
Feb. 29, 2012, 3:05 pm
Jacklynn from Bay Ridge says:
About time - driving a car is so '70s!
Feb. 29, 2012, 3:25 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
The only way I will support this will be if all cyclists will agree to follow the traffic laws as well as have their bicycles for licensing, registration, and insurance, otherwise I will be against it.
Feb. 29, 2012, 3:57 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- You're a dumb person.
Feb. 29, 2012, 4:56 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, you really need to take a chill pill and cut the personal attacks.
Feb. 29, 2012, 5:05 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
That could not have been me at 3:57 pm, though I suspect one of my imposters will try to sabotage me again. I would not be surprised if it was Mike or Other Mike or you ty, if that is your real name. Either way you are a typical bike zealout and have no ability to not name call and should be ashamed.

Still, I agree with the imposter and do not think we should grant special rights like bike riding in a park until all cyclists obey the speed limit and pay a toll for the damage they do to the road in the park which is something everyone else pays for all year. Drivers obey the law and don't speed so why do we allow pedestrians to jaywalk or cyclists to do whatever they want? Don't make excuses for it ty, just learn to deal with the fact that the park was always designed to have cars and they should be respected in there.

Why not open it so that cars can be in there more and take some of the traffic off of other streets? That way cyclists and walkers could stop complaining about traffic on Prospect Park West and other streets in the neighborhood. But you bike zealouts won't go for that I am sure.
Feb. 29, 2012, 5:07 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
That could not have been me at 5:05 pm because I was writing the comment at 5:07 pm and this one at 5:10 pm. Enough ty or Mike.
Feb. 29, 2012, 5:08 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal, if that's your real name... Prospect Park was built in 1867. How many cars were there then? Hmm....

Just like Prospect Park West. That street was not "designed for cars." Sure wasn't.

Oh yeah. Tal, you're a stupid stupid person. Or a computer. I guess we haven't figured that out yet.
Feb. 29, 2012, 5:24 pm
Jacqui says:
I totally agree with Scott from Park Slope, but go further: do the same with bikers! They're also completely dangerous and selfish.
Feb. 29, 2012, 5:59 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I agree with you, Jacqui, because it's about time cyclists stop acting as if everything revolves around them.
Feb. 29, 2012, 7:30 pm
OOOOOOOOH the irony....
Feb. 29, 2012, 9:19 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
cars ownerds pay taxes and license fes to use roads - when bike nazis pony up they can can talk
Feb. 29, 2012, 10:16 pm
mike from GP says:
Cars out!
Feb. 29, 2012, 10:53 pm
carguywhocyclesandruns from brooklyn says:
I will support this measure when all walkers, runners, and pedestrians to follow all traffic laws.

I'm kidding...

We all pay taxes/license fees to use roads, whether or not we own one car,one bicycle, or one pair of walking shoes. Or all of the above.

The world does not revolve around any one particular group. That mentality will not solve the issue at hand. Cyclists or drivers are not any more selfish then the pedestrian who crosses against the light or outside a crosswalk because they can't wait.

There is more than enough space on the roadway for people to walk/run, cyclists to have a free lane to use and in the short term, giving cars the remaining lane is also acceptable.

This is a very good step in the right direction.

Though I think the time is coming, cars do not have a place in prospect park. The 700 cars would likely have little, if any noticeable impact to Prospect Park West or surrounding roads.
Feb. 29, 2012, 11:05 pm
Resident from PPW says:
Great idea by the Prospect Park Road Sharing Taskforce. Bikes and car's co-exisiting inside the park, where they belong. In fact, cars should be banned altogether.

In light of this decision, I hope that Imperial Bloomberg sees the light and tears down the bike lanes on PPW. No need for a redundant not used eye-sore.
March 1, 2012, 4:30 am
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Resident

Ya know the park is still going to be one way. The PPW bike lane is two way and also provides traffic calming to an other wise too wide street.

You might think it is an eye-sore but that is not a reason to remove it.
March 1, 2012, 6:05 am
BrianVan from Kips Bay says:
So, less than 2500 cars go through the park each morning, and there's 2.2 million people in Brooklyn... that means that, democratically, we should listen to the drivers about what to do with the park as long as there are more than 450 people in each car.

Where's Fake or Real Tal Barzilai when subway commuters face delays of 15 minutes or more because of chronic underfunding? Apparently he only cares about one kind of infrastructure when it comes to public impact - the kind that allows him to drive his SUV directly to whoever he wants to visit in Brooklyn from all the way upstate, without a second of traffic or other delays.

We should absolutely listen to drivers' concerns but no one has to listen to threats, demands, or self-righteous speechmaking. If most people want cars out of the park, take them out of the park and be done with it, political fury nonwidthstanding. The line has to be drawn sometime.
March 1, 2012, 11:10 am
ty from pps says:
Resident -- You're a sad person. The bike lane is an eyesore, but the parked cars and double-parked cars lining the edges of this "grand boulevard" are not an eyesore???????

Such silly things go through the minds of the unhinged.
March 1, 2012, 12:37 pm
mary from WT says:
This still won't prevent the packs of racing/training cyclists, which IMO is the greatest threat in the park on most days.
March 1, 2012, 1:07 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Mary, racing/training cyclists are an issue. If they want to ride on the park loop, they need to understand it is a mixed use environment and not a training center; they ought to be prepared to yield or stop for those who are walking, jogging, or just biking slower than they are.

God bless them for their passion and athleticism, but if they want to course through the park at the speeds they do, they must do it late at night or early in the morning when few others are there. The park is not a velodrome.
March 1, 2012, 3:38 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Resident from PPW, Iris Weinshall, stop pretending to be an average person from the neighborhood! You are not, and calling a bike lane requested from the community board and supported by the overwhelming majority of neighborhood residents a creation of the "Imperial Bloomberg" is a joke.

But let's get to the heart of the matter. Would you care to live somewhere else now that the peasants who surround you have defied your will? Tell us where. We'll be there with moving vans and free labor to help you get the hell out. I hear Jersey still shares your contempt for non-automotive transportation...
March 1, 2012, 3:43 pm
Echo from NY says:
Unfortunately this isn't going to stop the clumps of cyclists that are training and or racing, which I believe is the biggest danger in the place the lion's share of the time.
March 1, 2012, 3:59 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Brainvan, I don't drive an SUV at all, I drive a compact car. As matter of fact, it's a Honda Civic to be exact, but I won't go any further, because you will probably want to vandalize if you know exactly what my car is. BTW, I found where you said, "Forget it Jake, it's Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville." That was shown in response to a comment on the City Room that had nothing to do with me, and I don't wish the death for anyone, and I can call slander on that.
March 1, 2012, 4:21 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Scott, you know that there are those cyclists who will never the rules no matter what. Until that happens, many will be against them, which is why there is so much opposition to bike lanes or any other parts of the bicycle infrastructure. As long as their are places such as Streetsblog, Transportation Alternatives, and Critical Mass saying that following the rules makes you part of the system that they are fighting, there will never be any respect for them. In the words of Confucious, "Respect is something one must earn, not demand."
March 1, 2012, 4:24 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- You are an idiot. Painfully irrational and lacking any ability for self-reflection. Oh, and you really enjoy mis-characterizing, stereotyping and making false generalizations. Living in your twisted world must be hard.
March 1, 2012, 4:35 pm
ty from pps says:
I call slander on that! I demand justice, I say!
March 1, 2012, 4:36 pm
wkgreen from Park Slope says:
"This still won't prevent the packs of racing/training cyclists..."

How often does anyone ever actually see this? I won't deny that they exist from time to time but I'm there several times per week at various hours of the day and the vast majority of seriously training cyclists that I see there are loners and they are not always going all that fast. I see maybe a pack of 2 or more bikes in paceline formation about once a month.

An outsider reading this would think that the PP loop is the BQE of bikes. It's far from it.
March 1, 2012, 5:57 pm
ty from pps says:
Look both ways *before* pushing your baby carriage into the road.... and if you have to pause for 12 seconds to let someone exercising pass... is that really that much of affront to your personal liberty? And is not pausing (or encroaching on the roadway to express your misplaced indignance) really worth the risk to your safety and the safety of the cyclist?

I find the spandex peleton guys as obnoxious as the next guy, but come on....
March 1, 2012, 7:29 pm
Spokesman from Jersey says:
We don't want her, Scott. Maybe Pleasantville does?
March 1, 2012, 9:56 pm
ty from pps says:
Scott -- Iris Weinshal can't move... I'm sure her apartment is worthless now. She could never find a buyer. The PPW bike lane utterly destroyed her property value. ya know, with that "eyesore" and "danger" and [insert something else].
March 1, 2012, 10:56 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
"You are an idiot. Painfully irrational and lacking any ability for self-reflection. Oh, and you really enjoy mis-characterizing, stereotyping and making false generalizations. Living in your twisted world must be hard."

This is comming from someone who is actually making personal attacks. That statements actually describes you more than it does me, and your attitude is proof of that. BTW, I thank Natalie O'Neill for this great article. She almost reminds me of Norman Oder, who does the AYR and tells the real story that most will never hear. Until your kind starts following the rules rather than acting like victims, you will always get negative coverage.
March 1, 2012, 11:02 pm
mike from GP says:
Folks, please don't feed the trolls.
March 1, 2012, 11:06 pm
Resident from PPW says:
To Scott from Park Slope:

Yes, I do live on Prospect Park West for many years and I don't consider myself average. I have an opinion like everyone else who responded to this article. And, yes, I do have an issue with our mayor (who I formerly supported) who threw away the will of the people by overturning term limits.

As far as peasants who defied my will? I live in a society where everyone doesn't agree with me. People can agree to disagree without the name calling.

However, when the time comes when living in Brooklyn becomes too expensive or too intolerable to different opinions, I will accept your offer to move me for free. Thanks!
March 2, 2012, 5:09 am
Scott from Park Slope says:
Resident from PPW (Iris), super! Apparently Jersey doesn't want you. Further west, then, perhaps trackside at the Indy 500? The scream of engines ought to fill you with plenty nostalgia for the good ole days on PPW when your limo driver dragged the strip w/ Chuck's limo driver.
March 2, 2012, 12:34 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Ty from pps, you're probably right, the bike lane has destroyed her property value, not to mention the uppity serfs who support it overwhelmingly. One does rather long for the days of the divine right of kings, doesn't one?
March 2, 2012, 12:40 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Scott, until you have evidence that Resident is Iris, anything you say can be considered slander. You wouldn't like it if I thought that you were Bloomberg or JSK in that matter, so knock it off. The same goes for mike from GP for saying don't feed the troll. Such comments really do show how much of an ego you bike zealots really have, and just can't take criticism. Everytime I hear you talking about how cars flout the law, I can say the same thing about bicycles. Why does you kind get to be above the law, while everyone else must be subject to them? Also, why you guys so hostile and defensive when a lot of you got to have your say here, while nobody is forcing you on what to like or hate?
March 2, 2012, 1:30 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
But Tal

You are a troll.

You comment on things when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes, it is a free country and you have a right t be a troll.
March 2, 2012, 2:19 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Do I call anyone who disagrees with me a troll or even use name calling? The answer is no. Why do you guys do this so much when you all had the right to say what you wanted? What's wrong with hearing the other side? If you wanted to hear just one sided arguments in your favor, then go back to Streetsblog where you can hear your own voices all the time. For the record, I have nothing against those who like to ride bicycles, just those who have such an attitude and think they are above all others just for using them.
March 2, 2012, 3:37 pm
Tal -- Go take a nap.
March 2, 2012, 5:25 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

You are not a troll because "we" disagree with you. You are a troll because your opinions are not based on reality.

You keep repeating things that are just not true.

Maybe is you spent some more time in Prospect Park, you opinion would matter. Till then you are a troll.

Go tell the mall how to paint the lines in the parking lot. There, your opinion might matter.
March 2, 2012, 6:36 pm
Troll Barzilai from unpleasantville, NY says:
I take issue with being called a troll b/c I am more like a balrog living in my parent's basement and subsiding on halflings and kentucky fried chicken and the bile of streetsbloggers. Look in your mailboxes tomorrow for your subpoenas to appear in court for slander and hacking into my web domain. I will not be unbanned.
March 2, 2012, 10:14 pm
Resident from PPW says:
Scott, thanks for making me laugh. I can assure you that I am not Iris.

One thing you do have correct, is that I have been to Indianapolis a lot for various sporting events. A very nice and polite town. No, it is not New York (in many ways) but even in disagreement everyone is very nice.

To get slightly off topic, no, I don't miss the old Indy 500 ways of PPW. But there are other alternatives than the bike lane (how about staggered lights like on Eastern Parkway) or speed bumps (like on Prospect Street or some of the other side blocks) to slow the traffic down. And for the record, I do recognize that the bike lanes have slowed traffic down...
March 3, 2012, 6:21 am
Scott from Park Slope says:
Troll, I mean Tal, if you think that anybody here has slandered anyone, then you have as thin a grasp on law as you do the rest of reality. And, BTW, slander is verbal, written is called libel.

But you never did answer the question whether you're a troll or only mentally ill. Trolls typically do what they do because they get their kicks out of purposely irritating and inciting others. They think it's funny. You do appear, though, to be serious, so the delusional, irrelevant, and plain factually incorrect things you spout tip the scale toward illness. Please get meds, therapy, or whatever other kind of help you need. You don't have to keep suffering alone.

The people of Park Slope are not out to get you. Cyclists aren't fiends and have better things to do than haunt your dreams. I can only imagine how instantaneously your head would explode if you ever went to Amsterdam, where everyone bikes!
March 3, 2012, 3:54 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Resident from PPW, thank you for making me laugh. The only name I called you is Iris Weinshall, which is pretty funny if that's the direst of insults.

I fail to understand what your beef is with a bike lane that has slowed traffic down on PPW, unless your purpose is to attract more traffic, travelling faster. Or do you share Tal's irrational cyclophobia?

If you don't bike yourself, then I invite you to take a spin on the protected bike lane and see for yourself why it's a huge improvement on biking amidst rushing traffic. You might even enjoy the experience. Biking on those protected lanes is a pleasant way to get around the city and an excellent way to discover new sides of this place we live in. It's faster than the subway in a lot of cases, less annoying than driving because you don't have to deal with parking garages or hunting for spaces and because traffic is almost never an issue (bike traffic, that is), and cheaper than any other option by far. And if you have a folding bike like I have, a Dahon mountain bike, you can throw it in a bag and park it at your desk at work so you don't have to worry about theft. You don't have to ride fast like the guys in spandex do; you can take your time.

I have a car, too, and know what it's like to drive on PPW as well as bike. But if you have never tried biking on it, then how can you say for sure that it's a bad thing?
March 3, 2012, 4:11 pm
Scott --
Resident from PPW thinks the bike lane is "redundant." Last night at 7:00pm I walked from the circle at 15th street to 9th street. About 12 bikes passed me during that, what, six minutes.

But only about 6 pedestrians. I noticed the problem. The sidewalk is REDUNDANT. There's already a sidewalk on the non-park side. The underused, eyesore of a sidewalk on the park side of the street should be torn up. It could be a great road for cars or perhaps parking for at least 150 cars...
March 3, 2012, 5:34 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First off all, I wasn't here at 10:14 PM last night, because there were errors on the page that didn't let me comment. Anyway, you don't call someone mentally ill just for disagreeing, which I find to be a hit below the belt. Again, I don't hate cyclists, just the attitude they display. I won't argue that roads predate motor vehicles, but they were still used for transportation even if it was by horses, and this goes all the way back to the Romans. BTW, I have seen the PPW bike lane, and I noticed it was hardly even used when I saw it back in December, so you can't say I haven't been there. Also, I have been to Prospect Park not that long ago, and that was on a Forgotten NY Tour a few years ago, so you can't say I haven't been there either. On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if that comment last night was made by one of you to insult me, so I am holding you all as suspects.
March 3, 2012, 5:54 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

You just made my point. You are a troll

"I have seen the PPW bike lane, and I noticed it was hardly even used when I saw it back in December, so you can't say I haven't been there"

Great, you came for a visit.

We live here. Go complain about things that you know about and might actually affect you.
March 3, 2012, 6:52 pm
ty from pps says:
Wow, Tal, THREE whole visits to Brooklyn?! You certainly do have great authority to speak about a city where you DON'T live, vote, pay taxes, etc. Thanks.
March 3, 2012, 7:19 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
If anyone here is trolling, it's you guys. Usually, trolls tend to have a big ego like the ones you have as well as attacking others for not agreeing with them. Also, you don't hear me telling you what to like, so why the hostilities here? BTW, you guys don't represent everyone who lives there, and there are probably many who never come here at all. I am glad that Natalie interviewed some motorists, because anywhere else, they would never be given that. Keep in mind that you all had your say, while Mark Russo had his, so if he thinks that it's inconvenient, he has every right to express that. If you want a place where only your opinion matters, then become the next dictator of Zimbabwe, so that their can be bicycles everywhere, and anyone who doesn't agree can always be killed.
March 3, 2012, 9:35 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Yes, Tal

I was sitting about 5 feet from Mark when he spoke.

The committee listened to Mark because HE LIVES HERE. Nobody called him a troll.
March 4, 2012, 4:43 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
It is inconsuquential how many visits that I made to Brooklyn which incidently is more than 3 although I can't recall exactly. The point is that I can get my information vicariously and that I see things that streetsbloggers cannot due to their tunnel vision. Roads always belong to the dominant transportation option of there respective ages. Horse and buggy in 19 century, automobile in 20th century. We don't share railroads with peds and planes. We don't share sidewalks with trucks. Why should roads be any different, except that the vocal minority of bike zealouts seems to think so. Stop attacking me personally, b/c not only does it weaken your already debunkable arguments, it is a hit way below the belt where I come from and amounts to nothing less than Hamasing.
March 4, 2012, 5:42 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

I am not attacking you. I really don't care about you. I just want everyone who reads your posts to know that you don't know what you are talking about.

I would not want someone like Marty Markowitz to take you seriously.
March 4, 2012, 8:10 pm
ty from pps says:
Hey Dummy... I mean Tal...

Are you suggesting bicycles are a *new* thing??!! Is that what your dumb little brain is thinking now?

“If the increase continues, the time is not very distant when not to own and ride a bicycle will be a confession that one is not able-bodied, is exceptionally awkward, or is hopelessly belated.”
— July 13, 1895 New York Times
March 4, 2012, 9:35 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, I wasn't even online yesterday, and I have a feeling that the comment was possibly made by you unless you can tell me where you were at the time the comment was done. I do know that bicycles were around since the late 19th century, but even in their day, they were never seen as something that could evolve into something more usefull unlike the car. In other words, bicycles were always seen as a recreation. They might be great when going in short distants, but not between cities, towns, and villages. I highly doubt that you can bike up to my town considering that it's about 20-30 miles north.
March 5, 2012, 3:13 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- Even if that wasn't you yesterday -- your comment today was just as stupid, ignorant and uninformed.

Do you honestly think the roads in NYC are primarily used by people going to far away cities??!?!?! Or do you think, perhaps, that most of the traffic on the roads are people going from one place in the city to another place in the city? Hmmm?

20-30 miles on a bike, by the way, isn't that big of a deal. It's not something I would do every day -- but that's not why there are bike lanes or THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people on bicycles in the city. They are riding 1 to 10 miles. A perfect distance for a bike. I can go 3 miles on a bike faster than a car, subway or bus anyday! and I start at my door and arrive *exactly* at my destination with no walking from the subway station or circling for parking and walking from a few blocks away. Do you get it?

If you think that bikes have not been used for a century as a *basic* form of urban transportation, you're just... well, I said it already... stupid, ignorant and uninformed.

Why are you scared of bicycles? Did one bite you when you were a baby? Why do you think bicycles will make cars disappear? I've said many many times I own a car and use it fairly regularly. If I didn't own a car, I'd still rent one when needed. But not very convenient in the city if I want to go visit someone in the next neighborhood, go to a movie or get a bite to eat. I use my bike, take the bus or subway...

This is called living in an urban environment. NOT living in Pleasantville. You really don't get it. You are clueless and don't even bother to try to see how living in a city is different than living in a suburb. Do you understand that we have no purpose for a Starbuck's drive-thru?
March 5, 2012, 6:29 pm
joe from flatbush says:
In fact using the park during rush hour to downtown saves at least 15 minutes.
Why some feel it necessary to take that from WORKING PEOPLE for the few pleasure seekers who can use the park for the rest of the day seems selfish.
Furthermore there is already another bike lane right ouside the park , causing havoc to everyone on prospect park west, which should also be reviewed
May 3, 2012, 12:20 pm