The bike corrals stop here, Community Board 1 says

Showdown at the BK corral! Williamsburg board snubs on-street bike parking

A local panel is not letting any more Williamsburg and Greenpoint parking spaces get turned over to bike racks without a fight.

On Tuesday night, the board voted against four bike corrals proposed for the area overseen by Community Board 1 because each of them would replace an on-street parking spot. The vote was 12–7 against the bids, not because of the merits of the individual proposals, but because the War on Cars has got to stop, one board member said.

“Enough is enough,” said board member Simon Weiser. “They can put it on the sidewalk and stop taking away car parking spaces.”

The corrals are a city initiative to place bike racks on the street rather than on the sidewalk. Businesses can currently request corrals in front of their storefronts and partner with the city to maintain them. Each corral is designed to hold eight bicycles.

The four businesses that requested the corrals are Summers Juice and Coffee on S. Fourth Street, Tutu’s, a bar on Bogart Street, Bike Smith II, a bicycle store on Grand Street, and the CrossFit Virtuosity gym at on Bayard Street, all in Williamsburg.

The proprietor of one rejected business said that he wanted a bike corral to help rid the area of the eyesore created by two-wheelers locked willy-nilly to poles, to spare pedestrians the hazard posed by such wanton steed-hitching, and to make customers’ bikes more difficult to steal.

“We believe it is our responsibility to beautify the area,” said Tutu’s co-owner Jason Merritt. “And it is beneficial to businesses to have safe bike parking that is not on street signs and posts.”

Board members who voted against the corrals argued that there is plenty of room on sidewalks for bike parking and that their turf has lost too many parking spaces to the CitiBike bike-share program and the planned de-mapping of Union Avenue in the middle of McCarren Park, which is meant to make the greensward more pedestrian-friendly. Parking is now more difficult than it was a few years ago, Weiser argued.

“We need to keep the parking we have,” he said.

The businesses that applied for the corral said they were baffled by the snub.

“It is worrying and confusing to me that any community board would side against alternative transportation and neighborhood beautification,” said Merritt.

The community board’s vote is advisory and the city can still proceed with the corral project if it wants to.

Reach reporter Danielle Furfaro at dfurfaro@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2511. Follow her at twitter.com/DanielleFurfaro.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Mike from Williamsburg says:
I'm pretty sure the Community Board, unlike the community it fails to represent, all owns cars.

After they snubbed the bike corrals, they spent the rest of the meeting arguing about how to allow double parking, even though it's illegal. At least some community board members, including the chairman, brought up the good point "we can't vote to allow illegal things."
April 10, 4:15 pm
BrianVan from Gramercy says:
Well, with all of the parking spaces they've lost to new projects, I totally understand their reluctance...

No, wait.

They've only lost 20-30 spaces to these projects in all of North Brooklyn, and this would have been four more from scattered locations.

Okay, this seems like lunacy.

This space is the property of the city, not of private residents, and people who own private vehicles (businesses and residents alike) are much too reliant on it. Bike corrals aside, I wonder how many useful transitions of public space were opposed by this board simply because board members were incensed at the indignity of not having cleared parking spaces directly in front of their houses all the time. These neighborhoods need more short-term parking and commercial loading zones. And yes, they are pitifully short of bike racks, not to mention recreational/leisure space. that could be installed streetside as plazas. To deny all these opportunities simply because of personal parking impatience, in a city where few get the privilege to own cars anyway, is a shocking display of personal corruption.
April 10, 4:52 pm
Eric J from Williamsburg says:
what… what is the argument FOR double-parking??
April 10, 4:54 pm
diehipster from Crushing Cyclists says:
Score one for normal people. This is great.
April 10, 5:01 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
The argument for double parking was that you get a lot more parking spaces. Two rows of them! This would have been for when there's alternate side of the street rules in effect.
April 10, 5:08 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Jerome, perhaps you'd be happier if you moved back to Kansas City where it is normal to own a car. A normal Brooklynite does not own a car. It is out of the ordinary for a a Brooklynite to own a car. You don't fit in here.
April 10, 5:25 pm
diehipster from Crushing Cyclists says:
Imagine, someone who is just passing through Brooklyn because they read a blog of how kewel it is; or had some nasally friend convince them to move here after $100,000 useless liberal arts school and become a barista in the magical new land demanding to change the way life long residents live! LOL!
April 10, 5:31 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
When was the last time a majority of Brooklynites owned a car? Did that ever happen? Seriously, go back to Kansas City. You fit in there. You do not fit in here. A person fresh off a bus from Ohio who plans to live without a car is more a New Yorker than you'll ever be.
April 10, 5:37 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Maybe it's opposed for the claim that it won't have a lot of usage hence being seen as a waste of space and taxpayer dollars.
April 10, 6:32 pm
Jason from Cobble Hill says:
Because parking your car on the street for days at a time is a good use of public space? As opposed to a dozen or more per day using the space that would have been occupied by one vehicle most likely used by a single person?
April 10, 7:23 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Umm Mike....if a majority of brooklynites didn't own cars, you wouldn't have car dealerss, parking lots, parking problems and traffic.

Just sayin'....
April 10, 8:12 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
No, Pat, a majority of Brooklynites don't own cars even if there exists some infrastructure to serve their niche interest and they cause problems out of proportion to their numbers. 44% of households own a car. http://www.nycedc.com/blog-entry/new-yorkers-and-cars
April 10, 8:23 pm
The Chooch from The Bohemian Magic Show says:
But a disproportionate number of community board members and other municipal flunkies from Old Brooklyn probably DO own cars, and so naturally they want to lock down city-owned parking spaces for their sole personal use because that's the way it's always worked in Old Brooklyn. Those bike-riding hipsters have ruined everything.
April 10, 9:45 pm
Joseph from Bay Ridge says:
"44% of households own a car."

And with an average 2.7 people her household, drivers are a small minority.

It's frustrating because we have a silent majority of non drivers. A minority which is overwhelmingly young, disproportionately poor, and politically inactive due to age or attitudes towards government.

Meanwhile, you have —— like Tal B from the suburbs that want to make our city their personal highway.
April 10, 11:14 pm
jjm from c. hill says:
Good, no more bike spaces. Its to bring back the REAL Williamsburg. Score 1 for ol' time brooklynites. Next target, Greenpoint.
April 11, 4:19 am
jjm from c. hill says:
Now all we need to do is watch that citi bike crap go broke so it can disappear along with those bike lanes.
April 11, 4:24 am
The Chooch from The Bohemian Magic Show says:
Thing is, NYC is moving toward a no-car culture. The old timers on the community board can blame hipsters for this and the Chooch will take it as a compliment. You own a car in the city, you can pay the cost of parking it. And I mean the real cost, to the environment the the quality of life. Oh oh oh it's Maaagic !!!!
April 11, 7:16 am
diehipster from Crushing Cyclists says:
Tax cyclists; make them pay for licenses; make them pay for registration; issue tickets every time they ride out out of a bike lane, blow a light, illegally chain their bike, etc.

WAIT!!! THAT'S NOT FAIRRRRRR!!! MOMMYYYYYY MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP
April 11, 8:37 am
The Chooch from The Bohemian Magic Show says:
It's not where the city's going, Jerome. The hipster life and hipster values are more sustainable than your old gas-guzzling mook culture. The policy makers know this. The hacks on the community board have no say in the matter. Hipsters are the future of the city. Shazooom!
April 11, 9:13 am
BP Reader from Brooklyn says:
If these businesses that want the bike corrals got more signatures in support of them than there are people on the community board then the DOT should go ahead and install them anyway. Community boards' roles are advisory anyway.

Community support is evidenced by petitions and use, not by a handful of un-elected people on a board that is not reflective of the community.

Parking is more difficult now not because of all the bikes, but because of all the cars. Development has flooded this area with private automobiles and four measly parking spots will not make life easier for drivers. Only encouraging people to get out of their cars and choose other modes of transportation will do that.
April 11, 9:41 am
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
The hipster life and hipster values are more sustainable than your old gas-guzzling mook culture, because somebody else sustains it with subsidies!
April 11, 9:45 am
BP reader from Bklyn says:
What community does CB1 represent? Just drivers? Because I don't own a car and I don't feel represented by CB1.
April 11, 9:51 am
Matt from Greenpoint says:
I've been know to park on bicycles. My eyesight is crummy.
April 11, 9:51 am
Jason from Cobble Hill says:
Let's not get into whether subsidies benefit drivers or non-drivers more. It doesn't take much thought to figure out the answer to that question.
April 11, 9:53 am
Barton Blinterblintzen from Brooklyn says:
Love most of the comments here.

Yep, the main problem with cars is that they take up too much space. So much that it only takes a minority of drivers to completely overwhelm the city with cars to the point where we are now.

So sad that the self-entitled community boards can't see the wisdom of using the space in a way (bike corral) that increases the number of people who benefit from the same space by about a factor of ten.
April 11, 9:55 am
The Chooch from The Bohemian Magic Show says:
Wrong Rufus. There's not enough money in America to "trust fund" every hipster in Brooklyn. That's mook urban mythology born of resentment. Hipsters work in IT and advertising, both booming sectors in the city. What is true is that hipsters tend to be better educated and better spoken than mooks.
April 11, 9:57 am
Matt from Greenpoint says:
Parking is getting more scarce as the population rises, and the movie making BS, and the bike BS. Hipsters own cars too, Mercedes mostly, but they pay for a private parking spot that cost what some here used to pay for rent. The rest of the week, they peddle around like arrogant ——s on their bikes, and complain about places to park it.
April 11, 10:21 am
Matt from Greenpoint says:
If you don't have a car, you cannot get out of here easily. (Even with a car is it is often hard enough to escape NYC.) Who wants to live in NYC if you can't leave every chance you get?!
April 11, 10:23 am
diehipster from Clubbing Conrads says:
Hey Eeth -

Try this: Do a zig zag walk through Greenpoint; tell me how many Polish people you see vs. "IT and Advertising" people. Then take a train to the the middle of Bushwick or Ridgewood Queens; spin 360 degrees and tell me how many Central American people you see vs. "IT and Advertising" people?

That's real Brooklyn buddy - no matter how you slice it. We out number you and always will. Those people ain't going no where. Your kind is the passing-through, try-hard, experimental fad kind.

You are a delusional, culture ruining, subsidized, anti-Brooklyn, smug yup. You speak as if 95% of Brooklyn looks and acts like the stretch of Bedford Ave from N 1st to N 7th or 7th ave in Park Slope. Its the other way around and you know it.

So go ahead and try my experiment and get back to me about the "bohemia" you saw.
April 11, 10:25 am
Hey Jerome

Try this. Go to Bushwick. How many people own cars?

Exactly. That's real Brooklyn, buddy. Not your faux Kansas City car-centric lifestyle. Real Brooklyn doesn't drive.

However, we're talking about Community Board 1 here anyway, not your suburban style Brooklyn.
April 11, 10:33 am
Jerome:

We know what you like. You like giving 5 star reviews to the cookie store at the mall. http://www.yelp.com/biz/cookie-house-and-pretzel-brooklyn?hrid=TQWOsw3HxOATkU_Rlzhrmw

You know NOTHING of how New Yorkers live. Get back in your car and drive away.
April 11, 10:37 am
diehipster from Cutting Hipsters Bike Brake Lines says:
Hey Mitchell,

You can't win - real Brooklyn always wins; go ahead - do what I asked EethChooch to do - you'll see what I'm talking about. But at least I get your true, racist, out-of-state character to shine in these comment boards. That's what I do best.

P.S.: Please stop using my real name and home city, it really bothers me.

L L A B BABY!
April 11, 10:39 am
Phantom from Bay Ridge says:
As a weekend motorist who also rides a bike, I fail to see the point in car owner vs bicyclist arguments.

Many " real New Yorkers " are both.

Demonizing either the car or the bike is beyond stupid.

We need both, as part of an overall transporation strategy.
April 11, 10:44 am
diehipster from Whackin Wards says:
If you want my real Yelp account here it is. I wonder why I get so many compliments????? I wonder, I wonder. It must be how well I know real Brooklyn and fake Brooklyn. LLAB!

(Hey Mitchell, if you're turning red and feel a blood vessel is about to explode in your head right about now, I suggest you dunk your head in ice water. I know how frustrating it is to be put in your place by a "Kansas City guido named 'Jerome' who works as a mailman and lives in his Grandmas basement in the ghetto of Brooklyn")
April 11, 10:47 am
Walker from Brooklyn says:
As someone who, like most NYers, spends most of his day as a pedestrian and not in a car or on a bike, this Community Board vote is a slap in the face.

What they are saying is that sidewalk space can be given over to parking bikes but that keeping the sidewalks clear for people walking isn't that important at all.

So cars get all of the curb space, bikes clutter every pole, fence, railing, and rack, and pedestrians are left to deal with it. Screw you, pedestrians!

Thanks for nothing, Simon Weiser!
April 11, 10:54 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
I am not angry, Jerome. Your suburban Brooklyn fantasyland is slowly giving way to the real urban experience. You're losing, you know it, and you resent it. I'm winning, I know it, and I enjoy it.
April 11, 10:56 am
diehipster from Yelping says:
of note:

0 Friends
April 11, 11:03 am
Mike from Greenpoint says:
Get Teresa Toro back on CB1. She knew how to work with the car people and get real stuff done for them too while advancing a bike/ped friendly agenda and they knew it. Those first bike corrals happened because of her. Do whatever it takes, get her back.
April 11, 11:09 am
diehipster from DMV says:
I can't drive and I don't own a bike because I don't know how to ride one but, Gelato people! GeLATO coming out your pores!! Real Gelato and hot dogs and horse drawn carriages and Grand Prospect Hall. Real Brooklyn!!

We make all your dreams come true!
April 11, 11:09 am
diehipster from Whackin Wards says:
of note:

I don't accept the many friend requests I receive. But thanks for visiting my page and seething!

L
L
A
B!
April 11, 11:11 am
Mike from Williamspointburg Greenery says:
It's weird to my other personas that diehipster is essentially talking to himself. Is it weird to any of your personas diehipster? By my count, there are only 4 different ip addresses in this posting.

The main diehipster ip guy should get ready for work soon. The meter maid trike needs a fixin' before you go out on your route.
April 11, 11:19 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Maybe Teresa Toro would help. The current transportation chair, Karen Nieves, seems to do quite a good job. After the full community board voted the corrals down over the recommendation of the transportation committee, she got the board to agree to hear the proposals directly in the future so they can't ignore the evidence and community support so easily.

Eric Adams can appoint up to 50 people to a community board. These votes were 12-7. Eric Adams should fill the community boards with some people who reflect the community and who will show up to meetings. These votes could start going the right way overnight.
April 11, 11:21 am
Problem Solved from Easily says:
Take half the space the city gave away free to that failing bikeshare corporation and fill it with public bike racks.

Done.
April 11, 12:15 pm
Joseph from Bay Ridge says:
The bike corrals are coming as the bicycling population grows.

Get over it.

It seems this hatred by some here stems from an association between bicycles and hipsters.

Meanwhile, in real life, what the —— is a hipster anyway? Most transients are from the metropolitan area or international. All kinds of New Yorkers bike. A small minority drive.

Bicycling/walking = conductive to urban living
Driving = Suburban and creates enormous urban problems.
April 11, 1:35 pm
JAZ from Hunting Redbeards says:
I love how Williamsburg 'Based' Mike writes about how he and his transient art school buddies are gonna show us "the real urban experience" when the main people he's arguing with are all actully from here.

Smug arrogance which is what we expect when dealing with hipsters.
April 11, 1:37 pm
Jeff from Williamsburg says:
I'm not from Kansas. I'm from here. I am a normal Brooklynite and I have always owned a car. I just love people coming here from all over telling me what a normal Brooklynite does or does not do. Mike, try to find parking in Bushwick where nobody owns a car. Most of the bike riders have an income way above the locals they displaced. I used to ride my bike all over, way before there were bike lanes. That's what a Brooklynite does. If you want to take over the street with bike lanes then register and get insurance and take some responsibility. My work requires me to carry heavy stuff and I must have a car. I can't commute by bike. Now that the bike lanes are here it takes me twice as long to get out of the neighborhood and I am burning a lot more gas doing it. Cough cough.
April 11, 1:57 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
I love it too, JAZ. The typical New Yorker does not own a car. I do not own a car. I rent my apartment. I am like the typical New Yorker. The typical denizen of Kansas City does own a car. Swamp Yankee admits to having a car and garage and you, Jerome, Tal, etc. might own cars and definitely cheer them on. You are completely out of step with New York. Likewise, CB1 is out of step with the community because fewer than 40% of households here have cars http://www.nycedc.com/blog-entry/new-yorkers-and-cars

I bet you are greeted with smugness wherever you go when you show up with lame arguments and get laughed out of the room.
April 11, 2:01 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Jeff, you're gonna have to make better arguments than your anecdotal experience. Because I have real data about car ownership rates in New York. You just have made up stuff, and that's why I have won this argument.
April 11, 2:03 pm
Matt from Greenpoint says:
Another Spring and another round of trust fund roulette pop up businesses.
Does anyone know of an odds maker for which coffee shop, bakery, yoga studio, whiskey bar, hand made clothing store will close before the season ends?
I've seen one place go from almost all of those in the last 4 years.... landlord must be raking it in, taking down trust funds and taking names!
April 11, 2:17 pm
Real real New Yorker from Real New York says:
The logic is funny. Trust fund babies = people who ride bicycles. "Real New Yorkers" = people who can afford cars.
April 11, 2:53 pm
Jeff from Williamsburg says:
First of all, I am impressed with the smugness of the twits who have invaded Williamsburg and now think they can dictate what normal is but no one laughs me out of the room. It's a Brooklyn thing. You wouldn't understand. Anecdotal? Made up? I'm glad you have declared that you have won the argument. I declare that you are a moron.
April 11, 3 pm
diehipster from Busting Becketts says:
One day Mike will leave his zip code and realize that 90% of Brooklyn is not like Bushpointburg. Until then, he will continue to educate us on this borough.
April 11, 3:14 pm
jay from nyc says:
according to the poster who said 44% of NYers own cars, that is hardly a small minority. Its seven percent from majority.
How are people who use rental services like zip car counted in this by the way? Dreed Scott Stlye and count each zipcar user as 2/3 rd of a car owner?
What about commercial trucks how are those counted?
The reality is that cars and trucks are not going away, any time soon, and anyone who thinks differently is living in stupidsville, not Brooklyn.
In the meantime, if more people want to ride bikes, fine who cares its a free country ain't it?
Arguing over what is a typical new yorker is the dumbest thing I have heard all day.
There are over 9 million people here, the majority of whom were born in a different COUNTRY, there are 300 languages spoken in NYC, a third of NYC households make less than 30K a year. The average apartment is over a million dollars. We have people living in everything from boats at a marina to crummy rent stabilized apartments to 3 bedroom apartments and virtual castles. The thing everyone always says about NYC is how DIVERSE it is. So how are you going to say stupid crap like a "typical New Yorker" based on all of that?
Simply put you can't, you are just making smug self assurances. This is usually Tal territory, but congratulations, you have dethroned Tal as the stupidest person on the board today.
April 11, 3:15 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
No, Jay. 44% of households have cars. If every household has 1 person, then you can say 44% of people have cars. But if households have more than 1 person, then fewer than 44% of people own cars. And households have more than one person.

Jeff, I'm not dictating to you what a typical New Yorker or Brooklynite or Williamsburger is. I am looking it up and informing you.

Diehipster, I know what other neighborhoods are like, but since this article is specifically about my neighborhood, it doesn't even matter. CB1 is out of touch with the community.
April 11, 3:24 pm
The Duke from Flatbush says:
The unavoidable problem for the anti car zealots is that the genie has been out of the bottle for way too long. People like owning cars, and the political price to be paid for taking them away is too severe for any politician to bare. The future is not just bicycles, it is also fuel cells running smart cars that are designed for urban living.

I love my bike, the sense of freedom, and actually experiencing my surroundings while riding is definitely an added value to city life. But I also want a car to escape from NYC once in a while.
April 11, 3:25 pm
James from bay Ridge says:
I never even learned how to drive, and I am from"real brooklyn": bay ridge. But, who cares, anyway.

It sad to see language like "war on cars" and bikes vs. cars and all this nonesense. Nyc is nyc because its a place to can walk to anything and get anywhere without a car. A couple of bikes racks in a place of a car is fine.
April 11, 4:27 pm
Elia from Dyker Heights says:
Here's one for the old Chocha. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=kp&v=nbGthv-dJp4
April 11, 4:33 pm
Joseph from Bay Ridge says:
An average of 2.7 people per household in Brooklyn. Approximately 44% of households own or lease a car. The car oriented population is also disproportionately located in South Brooklyn or areas with poor access to the subway system like like Canarsie. On top of this, significantly fewer commute to work or arrive at school via auto.

On top of all this, the vast majority of street space is still dedicated to cars. What's a few damn bike racks when there is barely any bike infrastructure anywhere when compared to cars. Some war...
April 11, 4:43 pm
Jay from NYC says:
no jj, criminals are soft, they are too weak and stupid to learn skills to get a job and they are too weak and lazy to get up everyday and go to work. Criminals are the softest of the soft, they can't even take care of themselves let alone others.
April 11, 4:44 pm
jjm from c. hill says:
@jay, what i mean is the edginess & soul of NYC is lost. Its too much hype going on about "hot" or "up-and-coming" a neighborhood is when reality is when things like that are said by media outlets, it makes it harder on long-time residents, hence a rise in property values & rent. Its not hard to figure it out/
April 11, 5:47 pm
jay from nyc says:
ok jjm, but then the alternative is property values that drop which also hurts people, more people, so would you rather have that?
April 11, 5:55 pm
jjm from c. hill says:
This bike parking nonsense is one of the many reasons why native ny'ers absolutely hate you transients coming into their neighborhood. Its one thing if you're a transient & actually show respect to the locals & their community but its another thing when you move in & try to dictate how the neighborhood should be, without any regards to the long-timers. Thats why W'burg, Greenpoint, Bushwick and other areas of BK are so pathetic with all of these goddamn coffee shops & condos. Sure you can say those parts of BK used to be crime-ridden & whatnot, which is true, but at least they were able to keep a darn roof over their head before the influx of cultureless clowns moved in.
April 11, 6:02 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:

Pardon me, but for someone who clearly can't stand Northern Brooklyn, he sure does spend a lot of time there.
Perhaps he is the local garbage man for that area, or has a paper route there?
John Wasserman
April 11, 6:18 pm
jay from nyc says:
well jjm first most people who live in nyc are NOT "natives" second NYC has ALWAYS been about change. If you don't like that then this place is probably not a good fit for you.
The bike thing is just another change, if you don't like, it fair enough, but to argue that NYC is not about change is just intellectually dishonest.
People who move into a neighborhood have just as much as anyone else to try and seek a voice in how that hood should be. Why you would be against that is beyond me, unless you admire people like Putin, in which case then it makes perfect sense.
As for coffee shops being culture less, as opposed to what, boarded up shops being used by crack dealers and squatters? That is better?
April 11, 7:40 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I find it very interesting on who claims to be a real NYer, Brooklynite, or even actually being from Williamsburg from what they are saying. Putting that aside, I still feel the reason why the community board opposed that bike corral mainly had to do with cost and usage. Perhaps, they saw something that can use taxpayer dollars that is more important than a bike corral such as schools and hospitals that really serve the public. Honestly, I don't see why a bike rack can't just be placed against the wall, and it won't even cost a lot not to mention it can be placed very easily without redesigning anything. As for talking about the use of roads, all major city highways are either federally or state funded, so my tax dollars are going to them as well as your's are.
April 11, 8:11 pm
Doc from O K Carrol Street says:
Yikes! What's next, Cliven Bundy is going to show up to settle this amongst y'all?
April 11, 10:45 pm
Bkmanhatman from Nubrooklyn says:
What the hell is wrong with these mooks? There's plenty of room for cars & bikes.
April 12, 7:59 am
Pookie da Lion from Slip Slope says:
Cars are not going anywhere (no pun intended) so will the pedalpiles please get over themselves. If someone wants a car - so be it - this is the USA not a home owners association in Ohio
April 12, 9:57 am
Landmark757 from North Brooklyn says:
Sorry but if people with bicycles want rights then it should be about time that bicyclists pony up for registrations and getting a license plate for their vehicles. It's about time bicyclists to be governed to abide by the rules of the road and be held responsible for their actions. Just like motorists a portion of our registration fees goes toward in allowing us the park in the street and it is our responsibility to abide by alternate side parking rules to keep the streets clean. If bicyclists don't like it they can just go lug that bike up to their apartment.
April 12, 11:19 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
No, Tal. The reason the community board was against the bike corrals was they didn't want to lose parking spaces. I was there. "Sometimes my mother has to drive around looking for a space" said one member. "We don't like bikes" said another. It wasn't about cost. It wasn't about usage.
April 12, 2:58 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Landmark, you get to store your private property on some of the most valuable real estate in the world for about free. Your fees and registrations don't pay for that. Enjoy it while it lasts though, because it's going to end even though you feel entitled.
April 12, 3:16 pm
Landmark757 from North Brooklyn says:
Well Mike, all was fine here until all you wannabe's moved in here. You call it gentrification as blue collar types and Hispanics got pushed out and was replaced by hipsters ( gotta love the label .. More like white crap). I have lived here my whole life and I will continue to do so for the rest of my life. I own a few properties in the Northside and Greenpoint and laugh when I look at my bank account every month. All that I was trying to say was that I was in favor of not allowing parking spaces on the street because I thought bicyclist are a growing nuisance and should be held more accountable in obeying the laws of the road.
April 12, 5:40 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Mike, at least they knew what was going to be used more, and that happened to be parking spaces. Believe it or not, moving away parking spaces may take away those looking for spaces in your area, but it will just move them to another area doing the same thing until that gets taken away. Unfortunately for you, cyclists are still a fraction of a fraction of city commuters and this is according to a recent study on the US Census Bureau. As for roads, motorists do pay for them in that they are being paid for by taxes for infrastructure. On a side note, I don't get the title of this article, because this isn't the wild west here, but I do find the bike zealots like outlaws with their nature.
April 12, 8:25 pm
Jo says:
Trans Alt use ta have cajones. No more. They all cozied up to BdB program. The green koollaid Smart city zombies. Vision Zero diversions to pacify them.
April 12, 9:30 pm
Jack from Crown Heights says:
I don't own a bike or a car. I'd like to propose that we eliminate bike racks and parking spaces and replace them with shoe stores.
April 14, 7:57 am
NR says:
How typical. A transportation opinion and suggestion based entirely on your personal agenda.
You sound like a Transportation Alternatives member already.
April 14, 8:20 am
ty from pps says:
A great number of the cars stored on and roaming the streets in Brooklyn aren't licensed/registered or insured here... Shouldn't that be a first step before we start registering and insuring bicycles? (And probably pedestrians after that.)
April 14, 12:37 pm
Jeff from Williamsburg says:
Mike, thanks for looking things up and informing me. I would have thought that the percentage of housholds with cars was somewhere between 35% and 45%. Now I know I'm not a typical New Yorker like you. Are we counting cars registered out of town? zip cars? rentals? How about households with more than one car. Is there any data on the percentage of people who own bikes? Should that be households with bikes? Do we include kids with tiny bikes? Dirt bikes? Maybe just people who commute by bike? What about Citibikes. You have a lot more looking up to do. How about housholds with more than one bike or bikes and cars. I wonder if smugness and laughing people out of the room scored with CB1. Maybe they laughed you out of the room.
April 14, 7:04 pm
Tyson White from UWS says:
Just wanted to add that the 44% car ownership in Brooklyn includes the sprawly outer parts, but in Williamsburg that rate is much lower - somewhere between 25-40% - similar to here on the UWS (thank for the link http://www.nycedc.com/blog-entry/new-yorkers-and-cars)

Free curbside parking for car owners who don't have private parking is an egregious abuse of space to everyone, including car owners. Curbside parking is meant to be convenient to park at your destination. But when someone else is using that space, you end up circling around and creating congestion while not paying attention to the road where people are walking in this densely populated neighborhood (studies have shown that 28% of traffic in busy urban areas are drivers looking for free parking - Google Donald Shoup bc I can't fetch the link right now). The local businesses don't benefit from this situation.

The attitude of those board members is - like many car owning New Yorkers - that free parking is a birth right and the city should do more to "ease congestion". You ARE the congestion! Every effort to make drivers happier and is rewarded with more cars which brings them the same misery.
April 15, 8:17 pm
Jeff from Williamsburg says:
This puts to rest the question of whether there is a "war on cars". Where did you get the numbers on car ownership by CB1 members? Most likely it is 25-40% like the rest of the population. The board has to balance the needs of the entire community and as part of that they backed bike lanes and other accommodations. They hear from all segments of the community. They don't just go on their own opinions. You may feel that the benefits of ending curbside parking are worth hurting those who need their cars but not everyone agrees. Clearly your note suggests that ending curbside parking is the real end game and perhaps CB1 sensed that too. It is rude to move into a neighborhood and tell the people who have lived there for years how they should live their lives. You need to walk a mile in their shoes.
April 16, 9:09 am
Matt from Greenpoint says:
On street bike parking is too dangerous. Bikes on the streets are too dangerous and should also be banned.
April 20, 3:31 pm
The Chooch from The Bohemian Magic Show says:
Jeff, it is "rude" to move into a neighborhood and tell people how to live their lives? Gee wiz, Jeff. But what if the neighborhood is a dump and we want to turn it into the most desirable neighborhood on the planet. Don't we have a right to do that?
April 23, 9:13 am
Jeff from Williamsburg says:
Chooch, I think you can move into a neighborhood and improve it without going out of your way to disrupt the lives of those who were there before you. The condescending "Gee wiz" remark is a good indicator of the underlying arrogance that makes it easy to dismiss the needs of the local "peasants" who you are eager to enlighten. We didn't see our neighborhood as a dump, which is why we fought so hard to keep the city from demolishing it.
May 2, 2 pm
Jeff from Williamsburg says:
It's also rude to call the neighborhood a dump. People loved this place so much that they fought the city tooth and nail to keep them from demolishing it. We always thought it was the most desirable neighborhood on the planet. I'm glad you like it too.
You have a right to move anywhere you want. You just don't have to disrespect the people who paved the way for you. The "Gee wiz" remark does suggest a bit of a tendency toward rudeness.
May 5, 5:15 pm